Selecting DSP program

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I
Fwiw 7 channel stereo isn't stereo. It's basically 7 channel mono. If your critically listening, either movies or music, it should be played as intended, ie music 2.x , movies whichever format that it's mixed in ie DDx or DTSx
I always wondered why they used that term. "7 ch stereo" makes no sense at all. How do you find how your movies are mixed or encoded in?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Most manuals I've read suggest 7ch stereo for parties just for more even distribution of sound (since the surrounds are generally in a matrixed 5/7ch mode not as active as the mains). Most I've seen aren't mono except for the center channel, tho.

Does your avr have an info button to tell you what the input signal is? That's what I use to check for OTA/cable/sat/app content if it wasn't clear in the guide/info for the content....other than looking up in audio setup on a disc you're playing.

I

I always wondered why they used that term. "7 ch stereo" makes no sense at all. How do you find how your movies are mixed or encoded in?

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I does have an info button. I'll rely on that. Thx.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I

Standard picks the default track, if multiple tracks it's accessed by menu in whatever stb box you are using

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Could be enough to make one speaker sound a bit more prominent...
Dont know in 90% cases in 7ch i cant even tell which speaker i hear front or surround but only sometimes i observe effect i mentioned. And it can be any speaker which starts playing particular instrument. At the same time i would say the volume remains the same for front and left speakers.

Also after measuring levels i thought sensitivity does not matter as long as levels are equalized. Final result level takes into account all reasons which can affect it like different power output volumes, diff sensitivity, distance, etc.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I just thought of a primo reason for 7 ch stereo. Tell me what you think of this!
Listening to mono Beatle LP's. Back in the early to mid-60's, mono was the primary mix and stereo mixes were not good at all. In fact it is pretty insulting to my ears to hear some of those stereo mixes. So the mono is highly preferred for the first 6 or 8 Beatle LP's. Thus, why not listen in 7 ch stereo?
Btw, one great, great record is Dusty Springfield's "Dusty in Memphis". It has a heinous stereo mix, so I made a new mono mix of the stereo mix from my computer.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I just thought of a primo reason for 7 ch stereo. Tell me what you think of this!
Listening to mono Beatle LP's. Back in the early to mid-60's, mono was the primary mix and stereo mixes were not good at all. In fact it is pretty insulting to my ears to hear some of those stereo mixes. So the mono is highly preferred for the first 6 or 8 Beatle LP's. Thus, why not listen in 7 ch stereo?
Btw, one great, great record is Dusty Springfield's "Dusty in Memphis". It has a heinous stereo mix, so I made a new mono mix of the stereo mix from my computer.
I don't think I've listened to anything in mono so I can't comment on that. As far as using 7 channel, I refer you to my first sentence.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I don't think I've listened to anything in mono so I can't comment on that. As far as using 7 channel, I refer you to my first sentence.
its been a long time since I've had mono. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis