selecting a center channel?

J

Jonny Rotten

Junior Audioholic
I need a new center channel.My mains are Klipsch KLF 10's.Receiver is Yamaha rx v673(new).Being that the mains are 15 years old do I still need to match the center channel to them?Or being there probably old technology it might not make a difference?Ive been looking at the klipsch RC 62.Any thoughts on it.Any opinions on another speaker I should be looking at in the $400 range.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, it should match in an ideal world. IMO, the newer models are likely enough different that a current one won't match perfectly with your speakers, but may work well enough. It really depends on how picky you want to be with the seemlessness of the sound.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I need a new center channel.My mains are Klipsch KLF 10's.Receiver is Yamaha rx v673(new).Being that the mains are 15 years old do I still need to match the center channel to them?Or being there probably old technology it might not make a difference?Ive been looking at the klipsch RC 62.Any thoughts on it.Any opinions on another speaker I should be looking at in the $400 range.
There is a center channel here
Klipsch Klf C7 Center Channel Speaker Audiophile 743878009125 | eBay

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
That is a monster center, I'm not real impressed with FR 75Hz-20kHz, I don't know I might be knit picking but $400 ain't chump change to pair with 15 year old speakers, but then again it will match pretty good with the KLH's, good find Jim..:)
I agree. The speaker is -3db at 75, which means you probably have to cross at about 100hz or possibly higher. I don't know where the roll off point starts, but anything the higher you have to cross the center the worse you'll be for it. You want to stay away from possibly sending some low frequency male voice content to the sub which is why THX recommends a cross of about 80hz. I'd like to even see something that is flatish to 60hz or at least a very gentle roll off.

Take the Salk Song Center, -3db at 45hz or the Source Technology CC 4-WC which is -3db at 45 as well. Good Centers will reach a bit deeper to ensure it can handle the entire range of the human voice and then some to maintain a seamless soundstage with the towers you pair them with (timbre matched hopefully).

J

Jonny Rotten

Junior Audioholic
That is a monster center, I'm not real impressed with FR 75Hz-20kHz, I don't know I might be knit picking but $400 ain't chump change to pair with 15 year old speakers, but then again it will match pretty good with the KLH's, good find Jim..:)
So should I put an offer in On the 15 year old center channel.Or would I be better off spending the money on something new?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
So should I put an offer in On the 15 year old center channel.Or would I be better off spending the money on something new?
I think the question is: Why do you want a center?

Also: Are you watching TV and movies and finding that you have trouble hearing dialogue? Do you listen to multi-channel music? Have you owned your towers for 15 years or did you buy those used recently?

If you've had the towers for 15 years I'd say upgrade those before you bother with a center. If you're losing dialogue and want a center I wouldn't get the C7. I'd get a center that would more closely match towers that you may want to upgrade to (assuming you've had the ones you have for awhile).

J

Jonny Rotten

Junior Audioholic
I think the question is: Why do you want a center?

Also: Are you watching TV and movies and finding that you have trouble hearing dialogue? Do you listen to multi-channel music? Have you owned your towers for 15 years or did you buy those used recently?

If you've had the towers for 15 years I'd say upgrade those before you bother with a center. If you're losing dialogue and want a center I wouldn't get the C7. I'd get a center that would more closely match towers that you may want to upgrade to (assuming you've had the ones you have for awhile).
Yes Im watching tv and movies.And I am having trouble with the dialogue.I bought the towers new.They dont have many hours on them and still sound like there new so I dont want to spend money on new ones when im content with these.I just got a new panny 60st50 plasma and a new Yamaha rx v673 receiver.So I figured a nice center channel might help the system.I have an old Onkyo 5.1 surround (kit) system.THAT,needs a big time upgrade LOLThe Onkyo center channel sounded like crap.Muffled and just bad.I took one of the mains,bookshelf,speakers and am using it for the center.I uped the dialogue on the the Yamaha and to tell you the truth it doesnt sound that bad.But I have nothing to compare it to.My figuring is,A new center can only sound much crisper,If thats the correct word to use.Everything I read says the center is 90% of the audio system,Movie and tv wise.So I thought a center channel would be a wise investment.

Please correct me if Im wrong.
Sorry for the long responce,but you guys are the only ones I can turn to.
That being said is there a center you could recommend for my system that wont break the bank.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Yes Im watching tv and movies.And I am having trouble with the dialogue.I bought the towers new.They dont have many hours on them and still sound like there new so I dont want to spend money on new ones when im content with these.I just got a new panny 60st50 plasma and a new Yamaha rx v673 receiver.So I figured a nice center channel might help the system.I have an old Onkyo 5.1 surround (kit) system.THAT,needs a big time upgrade LOLThe Onkyo center channel sounded like crap.Muffled and just bad.I took one of the mains,bookshelf,speakers and am using it for the center.I uped the dialogue on the the Yamaha and to tell you the truth it doesnt sound that bad.But I have nothing to compare it to.My figuring is,A new center can only sound much crisper,If thats the correct word to use.Everything I read says the center is 90% of the audio system,Movie and tv wise.So I thought a center channel would be a wise investment.

That being said is there a center you could recommend for my system that wont break the bank.
I think that if you like the Klipsch sound then getting a Klipsch center makes sense. If you're not doing any critical listening or listening to a lot of multi-channel music, then having an identical timbre match isn't as important.

Since 90% is TV and movies I would say skip the 15 year old center and get a brand new one or an open box with full warranty. The RC62 from onecall is a pretty good deal and Onecall has great customer service as well.

http://www.onecall.com/home-theater/speakers/center-channel/where/manufacturer/klipsch

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
I think that if you like the Klipsch sound then getting a Klipsch center makes sense. If you're not doing any critical listening or listening to a lot of multi-channel music, then having an identical timbre match isn't as important.

Since 90% is TV and movies I would say skip the 15 year old center and get a brand new one or an open box with full warranty. The RC62 from onecall is a pretty good deal and Onecall has great customer service as well.

http://www.onecall.com/home-theater/speakers/center-channel/where/manufacturer/klipsch
Agree, it also has better specs and FR, a little expensive to pair with mains that will be probably replaced soon, I think as you said Alex that some new mains are in order. For the OP email OneCall with an offer lower than the listed price and they will will get back with a counter offer, never pay MSRP :D
Cheers Jeff

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
The Onkyo center channel sounded like crap.Muffled and just bad.I took one of the mains,bookshelf,speakers and am using it for the center.I uped the dialogue on the the Yamaha and to tell you the truth it doesnt sound that bad.But I have nothing to compare it to.My figuring is,A new center can only sound much crisper,If thats the correct word to use.Everything I read says the center is 90% of the audio system,Movie and tv wise.So I thought a center channel would be a wise investment.

All I am going to say is to each their own, and preference - I believe in
timbre matching for movies and TV >> I do pick up a difference in the
Soundstage balance, with pans from left to right, and right to left. How
many voices really go down low. The Klipsch is a sealed design, that is
rated down to 75 hz -3db. A lot of ported speakers struggle to hit that
low. > The bass can be re-directed to the left and right channels, since
bass is not all that directional. Klipsh designed the speaker to work with
your towers. Your call and choice, and good luck.

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
You seem to be in a sensitive mood today :) I have a center that will
blend well with my mains for balance and timbre. > And the mains do
have more bass - however I do not really miss anything. Everyhing that
is important blends with the dimensional stage just fine. I am not going
around in the room, trying to find some so-called missing bass. :)

And that is not KLH speakers. :)

Last edited:
ahblaza

ahblaza

You seem to be in a sensitive mood today :) - I have a center that will
blend well with my mains for balance and timbre. > And the mains do
have more bass - however I do not really miss anything. Everyhing that
is important blends with the dimensional stage just fine. I am not going
around in the room, trying to find some so-called missing bass. :)

And that is not KLH speakers.:)
My bad with the KLF's, and I'm glad you picked up on my both high impedance sensitivity today:( I shouldn't be posting anything today, I'm feeling miserable with a sinus and ear infection and looking for prey :mad:. My wife has been pampering me but I drove her away with my insensitivity :eek:. I hear you with a C not reaching down low, but more importantly balance and timbre like you said is the goal. I have used indentical LCR's with good results, but most of the time if the center is a good match and dialog is clear and distinct along with a good L to R or R to L pan, you should be good to go, so to the OP make an offer.:) Thanks brother for setting me straight.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
My bad with the KLF's, and I'm glad you picked up on my both high impedance sensitivity today:( I shouldn't be posting anything today, I'm feeling miserable with a sinus and ear infection and looking for prey :mad:. My wife has been pampering me but I drove her away with my insensitivity :eek:.
I went to the Doctor today with some medical things. They wrote
some prescriptions and were suppose to send it to CVS. Well, CVS
has not received them, and the office is closed till Monday.:( >>
I have no medicine till Monday >> I know I have some talking to
do on Monday.:)

ahblaza

ahblaza

I went to the Doctor today with some medical things. They wrote
some prescriptions and were suppose to send it to CVS. Well, CVS
has not received them, and the office is closed till Monday.:( >>
I have no medicine till Monday >> I know I have some talking to
do on Monday.:)
Been there done that:) I always get a paper script, no call ins for me, I hope you feel better, I am starting to.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis