Seeking Subwoofer Control Unit Advice

C

curious mike

Audiophyte
My integrated amp does not have an LFE output. So I'm looking for advice/recommendations on a subwoofer control unit with a high pass filter for my mains and a low pass filter for the sub if necessary. My Hsu sub has a variable low pass crossover at 24 db/octave with a max setting of 80 hz.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

What you’re talking about is known as a two-channel electronic crossover, a common pro-audio component. Depending on your price range and the quality of your equipment, you might check manufacturers like Behringer, Rane, Ashly, BSS, Yamaha, TDM. Many of these manufacturers are now making digital components, so if you’re looking for analog you’re relegated to their legacy products.

The caveat is that your integrated amp must have pre-out and main-in jacks in order to utilize any outboard processor.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

C

curious mike

Audiophyte

What you’re talking about is known as a two-channel electronic crossover, a common pro-audio component. Depending on your price range and the quality of your equipment, you might check manufacturers like Behringer, Rane, Ashly, BSS, Yamaha, TDM. Many of these manufacturers are now making digital components, so if you’re looking for analog you’re relegated to their legacy products.

The caveat is that your integrated amp must have pre-out and main-in jacks in order to utilize any outboard processor.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Thanks for the great information. Unfortunately, my integrated amp does not have pre-out or main-in jacks. However, I've been using a Paradigm X-10 for a while. It really opens up the mids and highs on my mains, but the mid bass is a little muddy. I opened this thread because I wasn't seeing any alternative products. Does anyone still manufacturer analog products?

C

curious mike

Audiophyte

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

C

curious mike

Audiophyte
It's been suggested that I try something else with the X-10. Since the high-pass filter is at 100 Hz 6 dB/octave, I'm going to engage the crossover on the sub and set it to 90 Hz (I was incorrect when I previously said the max was 80 Hz).

For whatever it's worth, the X-10 subwoofer output is low-passed at 150 Hz 12 dB/octave. It's odd to me that Paradigm chose these crossover points.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Does anyone still amanufacturer analog products?
Analog products? Sure, you can still get analog electronic crossovers. But the X10 is not a typical product. I don’t know of any other subwoofer crossover/control device that accepted speaker-level inputs.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

U

utubecomment21

Audioholic Intern
I don;t know if i'm singing from the same sheet here, but have you thought about RCA high-pass/low-pass filters from Harrison. I use them for my set up.

new to the forum so i can't post links yet. ebay search: Harrison RCA filter and you'll see what i mean.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis