Seeking subwoofer advice

R

rickcst

Audiophyte
Hi, I'm new to these forums, and I'm looking for a subwoofer to complete my 2.1 system.

I live in a small studio apartment, the main listening room is 13' x 12'. I'll be using a Nuforce Dia desktop DAC (24 watts/channel max) with 2 Cambridge Audio Minx Mini 10's. The Dia allows me to listen to my music via iTunes on my iMac, and it also allows me to route audio from my PS3 while watching movies on the LCD TV. Very happy with the Dia. I sit on my couch about 10' from the speakers/LCD.

I've been doing some research. And I must say that size is important to me- meaning the smaller the better. I know this can be tricky with subs.

In terms of music, I listen to rock/folk, nothing really bass-heavy. For movies, I don't care so much about explosions, etc. I'm just looking for decent low-end to fill the room and complement the Minx 10's.

I've been looking at the PSB SubSeries 100. It's advertised as a computer/desktop subwoofer, but I also saw it advertised for home theater. It's $250, and tiny for a sub. That's as high as my budget right now. Anyone familiar with this sub? Do you think it would provide me enough decent low-end?

Other than that, all I see is the Dayton Audio Sub-800 and the Yamaha YST-SW012, both 8". It also looks like Dayton has just released a 6 1/2" version of their subwoofer for $89 at Parts Express. There are no reviews yet, so I have no idea if it's any good.

So, just looking for something decent and compact, and under $250 if at all possible.

Any advice or input would be appreciated- thanks.

R

rickcst

Audiophyte
Thanks for viewing, but consider this thread closed... things evolved quickly and I've made a choice.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm glad you had made your secret choice, but it would nice of you to share what you've bought and later on how well do you like the result :)

R

rickcst

Audiophyte
Sorry, I didn't mean to keep it a secret... I decided on a Pinnacle Subsonic. I'm hoping this will complete the 2.1 system. I think it will be okay, as the Nuforce Dia only has an output of 24w per channel. I'll let you know how it goes after I have a bit of time with it. Hopefully it will arrive soon!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Amazon I assume. $275 for $800 sub you could've done worse. If manufacture is not lying then 28hz at -3db is great for such tiny sub.

R

rickcst

Audiophyte
Actually, head over to Woot.com and you could get one for $179!

R

rickcst

Audiophyte
Wow, I just checked the site and they're already sold out. I just placed my order 2 hours ago- they went very quickly!

R

rickcst

Audiophyte
Hi,

I just wanted to follow up with the Pinnacle Subsonic... shipping was very fast and I received it today.

I've had some time to play around with it- such an impressive little beast. Perfect for my needs living in small studio apartment. Pairs very nicely with the Minx 10's. I barely have the volume turned up on the sub, and it's quite strong as such.

I was really aiming for a compact system- the Nuforce Dia, SubSonic, and 2 Minx 10's all combined equal just a little bigger than a basketball.

If anyone is interested in the Subsonic, I would try woot.com again... I checked the next day and they were selling more, so it may be going on for a couple more days.

Thanks again-

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
In a multi subwoofer arrangement do all subs need to be the same? My main sub is 300w Definitive Technology pro sub 800. I was toying with the idea of using an old JBL 150w sub in addition. I'd need an adapter for it since it has no LFE input.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
They don't have to be the same, but the problem is that the end quality of your subwoofers will be that of the lesser of the subs. Thus it would be a big mistake to pair a great subwoofer with a poor subwoofer, but two very goods subs should still yield good sound!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis