Seas Drivers any good

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I am thinking about changing my powertowers for full range towers. I am considering the speakers below. Did not get a chance to audition yet. Just wondering how good these drivers are. I do like to drive them at very high volume, can these Seas take it?

http://www.sourcespeaker.com/266WC.html

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Seas drivers are highly respected in the industry but remember, these are only one component in a speaker SYSTEM where proper integration is the key.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I am thinking about changing my powertowers for full range towers. I am considering the speakers below. Did not get a chance to audition yet. Just wondering how good these drivers are. I do like to drive them at very high volume, can these Seas take it?

http://www.sourcespeaker.com/266WC.html
The drivers are amazing and with great enclosures can be made into Hi-Fi solutions.

Their drivers aren't cheap though. I tend to think if's better to build a great cabinet with ok drivers than a cheap cabinet with bad drivers. As with all speakers an EQ like a DCX2496 will be the best upgrade. I suggest you get a DCX2496 and an external amp before you start going up on your speakers. It will allow you to get the most out of any speaker system. Even cheap speakers can be greatly improved by an EQ.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
The drivers are amazing and with great enclosures can be made into Hi-Fi solutions.

Their drivers aren't cheap though. I tend to think if's better to build a great cabinet with ok drivers than a cheap cabinet with bad drivers. As with all speakers an EQ like a DCX2496 will be the best upgrade. I suggest you get a DCX2496 and an external amp before you start going up on your speakers. It will allow you to get the most out of any speaker system. Even cheap speakers can be greatly improved by an EQ.
The Powertowers I have now are excellent speakers. But since I moved from my house into an apartment I just can't them to sound the same, they need room. Now I am confined to a 14'x16' listening area. They have 400Watts subs build in. I am driving the tweeter and midbass (midrange) with 350 Watts. Maybe I should try some roomtreatments first? It is just amazing what a difference a room makes for system, it can make it or break it. So I was just thinking maybe nonepowered towers would sound better. The towers I have are in the 5K range and they are excellent, just can't seem to able to finetune them. What I do now I just run the tops and turn the plateamps off and just use my 2 other subs. These speakers have such a strong presence may to strong.

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
The Powertowers I have now are excellent speakers. But since I moved from my house into an apartment I just can't them to sound the same, they need room. Now I am confined to a 14'x16' listening area. They have 400Watts subs build in. I am driving the tweeter and midbass (midrange) with 350 Watts. Maybe I should try some roomtreatments first? It is just amazing what a difference a room makes for system, it can make it or break it. So I was just thinking maybe nonepowered towers would sound better. The towers I have are in the 5K range and they are excellent, just can't seem to able to finetune them. What I do now I just run the tops and turn the plateamps off and just use my 2 other subs.
Try pulling your speakers from the walls more. If that won't work I suggest you try eqing the system and adding bass traps. Towers can work just fine in an apartment. Takes a bit more work though.

CraigV

CraigV

Audioholic General
Very good drivers, but don’t forget about mating them with a good quality crossover ;)

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
The way the towers are setup: 2 sets of binding posts. They are both bridged. From poweramp to speakers I hook them up trought the top posts, from the bottom posts they go into sub-plate amp speakers input. Is it possible to run the subs from the towers of my subwoofers. Sub line out to towers line in.?? I am getting all confused here. Or is it that I am running 4 subs?

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
The way the towers are setup: 2 sets of binding posts. They are both bridged. From poweramp to speakers I hook them up trought the top posts, from the bottom posts they go into sub-plate amp speakers input. Is it possible to run the subs from the towers of my subwoofers. Sub line out to towers line in.?? I am getting all confused here. Or is it that I am running 4 subs?
I am confused, but i think you are talking about running your low driver from your receiver as a sub.

I can't answer that without opening the speaker. I suggest you ask your customer service. It's not usually the case though.

Bi amping is usually a gimmick added for folks who swear by it. True bi-amping require an active crossover and 2 sets of amps.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I am confused, but i think you are talking about running your low driver from your receiver as a sub.

I can't answer that without opening the speaker. I suggest you ask your customer service. It's not usually the case though.

Bi amping is usually a gimmick added for folks who swear by it. True bi-amping require an active crossover and 2 sets of amps.
What I have is 2 Powertowers with 400 watt amps. 1- 1000 Watt Sub, 1 -400 Watt Sub Down-Firing. What I am not totaly satisfied with is the Towers. They just don't sound the same like they did in big room. Do you think I might it might be overkill on all the bass. I would like to use all the speakers. Maybe I should put the 2 subs in the rear and I'll still the the 2 subs in the front from the towers. Is that a good idea or not?

R-Carpenter

R-Carpenter

Audioholic
Drivers cannot be evaluated in the system!. Great drivers and mediocre speaker design can sound horrible (not that this particular system does).
So so drivers in a well designed system can sound excellent.
Seas is one of the leading driver manufacturers. Exell series are arguably the best or one of the best out there.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis