Searching for dvd player

P

ptabib

Audioholic Intern
Looking for any input. I am shopping for a 5 disc dvd player in the $300 or less price range. I have a mitshu. 55in. widescreen hd tv that does 480p but not 720p. I do not need a dvi connection. I'll be running it through a denon 2805 with component video and optical audio 5.1 dolby. I was looking to match the reciever with denon dvd player. Is this important or convenient in any way? But in some research it seems that denon dvd players have trouble playing rented or scratched dvd's. Most of the dvd's i play are either rented or dvd-r -rw backups. I'll be using this player for music also, but i haven't got into dvd-audio or super cd yet so i don't think these options are importent. I would even consider getting a refurb depending on what you pros think.
Appreciate any help.

Last edited:
M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
The Onkyo CP-702 meets your requirements. It's actually a 6 disc dvd/cd changer. Available at Circuit City for under $300.

You should verify that you have enough space for it in your rack. Being a 6 disc changer, its a bit longer than other multi-disc machines.

P

ptabib

Audioholic Intern
That onkyo looks nice and for only $199. How's that compare to the DCDi of the denon in picture quality? Has any one tested the onkyo cp-702 with less than perfect dvd's or dvd-r backup's?

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
Hi,
This won't help me in Toronto but apparantly GoodGuys has a Sony 5disc sacd/dvd player which just dropped from $199 to $99.94. My memory might be off but I think its a Sony DVP-NC675.

I have to warn you I'm dyslexic so if they have a website, I'm sure you'll find the right one.

I bougth the discontinued floor model of the 5 disc Sony DVP-NC650v 2 summers ago. At that time it was interlaced only but the recent player is 480p. I was covered video wise so I was just looking for a cheap mltidisc player that didn't go to PCM which I think none of the Sony's do for sacd.
I love the 650 for music so I would imagine that there have been improovements since then.

Hope their not sold out you lucky neighbours.

Peter m.
PS: Our dollar is catching up a little!!

P

ptabib

Audioholic Intern
Thanks everyone for your reply's. I am going to have to go with the denon 1815. Was going to jump to the 2815, but i don't see myself getting into dvd-audio. Audioholics rocks!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis