Screen technology in the last 12 years

Lady Phoenix

Lady Phoenix

Junior Audioholic
As an audiophile, I'm way out of my league when it comes to displays and projectors, so I need some advice...

The mother-in-law has an old Stewart Videomatte 2000 4:3 screen that she's willing to give us, if we want it. The main question I have is whether screen technology has changed much since then, and whether or not this would work with our 1080p JVC RS1 projector we plan to buy. Afterall, when she bought the screen 12 years ago, HD didn't even exist!

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
The aspect ratio will probably be one reason you might want a new screen. You won't be able to watch widescreen on it.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
The aspect ratio will probably be one reason you might want a new screen. You won't be able to watch widescreen on it.
That will depend on how large the screen is. They could still watch widescreen video, but it just wouldn't fill up the whole screen.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
As an audiophile, I'm way out of my league when it comes to displays and projectors, so I need some advice...

The mother-in-law has an old Stewart Videomatte 2000 4:3 screen that she's willing to give us, if we want it. The main question I have is whether screen technology has changed much since then, and whether or not this would work with our 1080p JVC RS1 projector we plan to buy. Afterall, when she bought the screen 12 years ago, HD didn't even exist!
Two questions about that screen. Its size and your aversion to watching movies with huge black bars on top and below as that is what will happen with that screen.

I would suggest biting the bullet and getting a proper wide screen, either 1.77(16x9) or 1.85.

How large is the room? You could have a very nice size with that projector, 100x 54/56 or a bit larger:D

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
That will depend on how large the screen is. They could still watch widescreen video, but it just wouldn't fill up the whole screen.
True, I guess I assumed that a 12 year old screen was pretty small who would want to watch SD at more than 50 inches anyways ;). :p

Lady Phoenix

Lady Phoenix

Junior Audioholic
The screen is 5'x7', so we figured out that we could comfortably get a 92" diagonal 16:9 image (which is the size we can fit on our wall) with the huge black bars mtrycrafts suggested we would have. It definitely won't be as "pretty" as it could be if we bought a 16:9 screen, and that is a bit of an issue... But maybe that'd be worth saving $1000 or so on a screen?

It was also a good quality screen (gain is 2.0) back in the day when she bought it, so it might be better than the ones we've been looking at in the ~$1000 range?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I don't think you'd have huge black bars. After all, the projector is going to project an image on to the screen, and whatever portion of the screen isn't used will just be the color of the screen.

Another thing to consider is modifying the shape of the screen (e.g. cut off part of the top and/or bottom). $1000 is a lot of money, and if your mother-in-law is just going to give it to you, then I'd say you could always try it out and replace it if you don't like it (or give it back, assuming that you haven't cut it all up).

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
My first thought also was to modify the screen material if you're handy and it's a possibility.

Lady Phoenix

Lady Phoenix

Junior Audioholic
I'd say you could always try it out and replace it if you don't like it (or give it back, assuming that you haven't cut it all up).
This is a good point... I think we'll take it to the shop and give it a try before we make any decisions.

Though I'm still curious about whether screen technology has changed at all since HD came to town. I haven't been able to really find anything that suggests there have been many changes in the last 12 years.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Though I'm still curious about whether screen technology has changed at all since HD came to town. I haven't been able to really find anything that suggests there have been many changes in the last 12 years.
There are some screen reviews under the professional reviews on this site, for example: http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/projectors/projector-screens/screen-innovations-visage

That link talks about a screen with some advances in terms of ambient lighting.

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
I have a few 4:3 8ft across screens.
I gave 1 to a friend, and he took the screen out of the housing, and put it on a frame he built.

He is currently creating a motorized pulley system...similar to drafting table, that has the sliding straight edges. So depending on what format the show is in, the top and bottom will adjust pulling a velvet curtain.

My point is, with a pair of scissors, some wood, a nail gun, and maybe 1-2 hours, you could build a screen of any ratio.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

The material should work just fine- there have been advances but an older screen can still perform well. I would suggest that if you're handy with tools creating a frame and using the material to build a 1.78:1 screen would be a good idea. The RS1 has a phenomenal contrast ratio but will still benefit from a good, well masked frame.

That said, I think it's penny-wise-but-pound-foolish to spend $6k on a PJ and skimp on a screen. My suggestion would be to buy a Carada and be done with it. You can get a good screen with a truly high end frame for around 10% of what you're spending on your PJ (depending on size).

You wouldn't buy a new Corvette and put four bald snow tires on it, would you?;)

Pheaton

Pheaton

Audioholic
Hi,
Thanks Rob, I think that is what we were going after. The old screen has a frame with it, it snaps on, so altering the screen is not really an option. But we just wanted to get some opinions on whether or not it was worth trying to use the older one. I think I will still take the older one into the store and see what the image looks like on it.

Pheaton

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
Rob said almost the same thing I did.
And I didn't get a thank you. :confused:

lol, j/k.
Professionally, I've used Draper, Stewart, and Da-lite screens. Stewart screens were superior.

I've heard of Carada but have not seen one in RL. How does it compare?

Lady Phoenix

Lady Phoenix

Junior Audioholic
He is currently creating a motorized pulley system...similar to drafting table, that has the sliding straight edges. So depending on what format the show is in, the top and bottom will adjust pulling a velvet curtain.
Ooh, I like that idea... Though I wonder if the velvet curtains would end up costing about as much as the screen! ;)

The RS1 has a phenomenal contrast ratio but will still benefit from a good, well masked frame.

That said, I think it's penny-wise-but-pound-foolish to spend $6k on a PJ and skimp on a screen.

You wouldn't buy a new Corvette and put four bald snow tires on it, would you?;)
Rob, just for clarity: You're not saying that the MIL's old Stewart would be like bald snow tires, are you? I don't really know much about how the screen compares to other stuff on the market today, but it *is* a Stewart...

Lady Phoenix

Lady Phoenix

Junior Audioholic
Just thought I'd let y'all know what we concluded on this issue...

Even if the technology of screens hasn't changed that much in the last 12 years, projectors have. This matters to the screen discussion because the best screen for today's projector is not high-gain and white, but that was worked great with your lower-lumen projectors of 12 years ago. We found that the high gain of the MIL's old screen actually reduced the sharpness of the gorgeous HD projector we'd selected. :eek: Definitely not the look we're going for!

We decided to get ourselves some nice racing tires to go with our new Corvette instead. ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis