Screen for Epson 6030UB in HT room

J

jnorred

Audiophyte
Hello,

I'm looking for advice.. I have a dedicated HT room with 100% ambient light control. I have already purchased the Epson 6030UB projector and i'm trying to decide on a screen. I'm looking to go with a fixed mount 110-120" 16x9 screen, but i see so many options for white, gray, slate, etc and various gain levels i'm not really sure what to do... Any suggestions for specific screens and why (or even point me in the direction for good web material to read/research myself?

J

jnorred

Audiophyte
As a side note, i'm contemplating starting with an inexpensive screen like the Silver Ticket 120" 1.1 gain white screen to get the room operational and use as my baseline. My thought is that i could then get sample screen materials from various sources and test them against the Silver Ticket and evaluate if I will really get more value out of some of the more expensive screen options out there. Thoughts?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I would first setup the projector and decide if the size you want is appropriate for your viewing habits. Just shine it on the wall or on a white sheet.

Understand that ambient light control and light control are two different things. That is, ideally you want to paint the room dark with dark ceilings and floor.

Anyway, in a proper room, a white screen is the best option, and Silver Ticket makes a solid screen for most people. You certainly don't need anything more than that in most situations.

J

jnorred

Audiophyte
Good point. I have very dark brown walls and ceilings and dark carpet as well. I do have some dimmer controlled light sconces on the walls, but will typically have those off or very dim with movies. I appreciate the feedback. I have been browsing the forums for the last few days and there is quite a bit of good information here on this site. You seem like a very active member and have posted quite a bit of good info! Thanks!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Happy to help. Front projection is an area I know pretty well.

The room sounds very good. I always am concerned about lighting setups as things like sconces are nice, but really must be completely off during any viewing as they aren't properly directional light. That is, the light, even at lowest levels, will fall on the screen and significantly impact contrast. In comparison, downlights over the seating area on a separate dimmer will provide direct lighting for people seated and allow a clear path of entry into the room, while not casting any direct light onto the screen. Typically, these lights will also be the furthest from the screen allowing the lights to be brighter with lower overall impact on the screen.

Example: http://www.avintegrated.com/lighting.html

Sconces are great for decoration and entry/exit from the room, but terrible for home theaters. They are good for very large theaters which need path lighting even when the movie is playing, but typically would be 20 or 30 feet from a movie theater screen, which meant they didn't really impact the screen. They also were often very directional lights pointed down at the walking pathway instead of the often artsy sconces used in home theaters.

I give a lot of thought process to lighting for theaters. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis