Science project: Build a speaker from scratch

S

Strike

Audiophyte
I need help on where to get reference on to build a home made speaker. I've been checking google, but all those sites just show how to house the woofer, midranges and tweeters. If anyone can help on where to find a way to make a speaker from scratch it will be appreciated!

S

Strike

Audiophyte
Well, I want to know how to build a speaker, you know, with magnets, cloth, metal, and the such. Im able to use an amplifier for my science project, i just need to make the speaker itself from scratch.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Lemme get this straight.

You don't just want to correctly design an enclosure and mate it to a properly designed crossover using existing drivers (speakers).

You want to make, by hand, the round paper things with the magnets on the back? If so, that's kinda like making a transistor or a vacuum tube from scratch. Sounds nice but when the rubber meets the road it's a little more comples than the theory would initially appear.

You might look into planar speakers. I think I've hears about kits for these.

M

MBauer

Audioholic
Transducer

Strike said:
Well, I want to know how to build a speaker, you know, with magnets, cloth, metal, and the such. Im able to use an amplifier for my science project, i just need to make the speaker itself from scratch.
Electrically a loudspeaker is a transducer, so do you need to make a "speaker" as commonly defined or a transducer? If you make a simple transducer, depending on what it activates, it will make sounds/noise. Use an alternating current, from your amplifier to move the mechanical part, have it act on something You could even use something like a servo to bang a sheeet of aluminium or sheet metal. By controlling the frequency, you could make sound

Building what is generally considered to be a loudspeaker is not trivial, just from the construction side of things. You will need to construct a voice coil, get a magnet to interact with the voice coil and a membrane of some kind (the diaphragm) to push air, a way to hold it all together (basket), etc.

One other option might be a planar speaker, where a wire is vibrated and as the frequecey of the signal changes, the frequencey of the speaker changes.

Maybe some more details as to your science project might help?

udadni

Audiophyte
Actually... it's quite easy.

Actually, it's quite easy, cheap and quick, depending on your standards for quality. For a science project, my methods should suit you nicely. You can see a picture of the speaker I built in 15 minutes using only a spool of wire, construction paper, and a box and roll of stickers that i got for free from the post office at the following site:

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/14618763/

Though this one is pretty quiet and low quality, if you were willing to spend more time and about $10 on materials, you could probably produce something comprable to a low quality computer speaker, maybe better...

If you want more info, email me, or reply to this post.

CJ Money

Audiophyte
I need help

Hey it would be nice if i had instuctions on how to build a speaker with house hold items.But only for an expiriment not for it to sound good.I found a drum on a highway and was thinking i could use it for the speaker box.also id like to know all the supplys i need to build the speaker.if you can tell me how to build the speaker using the drum if not owell but if you know another way tell me but tr to tell me the way using the drum thanks

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
The easiest way to build a speaker from scratch from common parts that will not sound 'hideous', is to make an electrostatic transducer.

http://www.amasci.com/esloud/eslhwto.html

It will also be much more impressive looking than a piece of coned paper with a coil and magent hacked on the bottom. :)

-Chris

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis