Scammed - KENWOOD 'Digital' LS-P7000HG - Options

M

majeski2

Audiophyte
Hello to all --

Novice hi-fi enthusiast here, don't have the budget for true stuff but like to listen to it loud! If it's too loud you're too old!

Here's the scoop, about 9 years back I bought a pair of these KENWOOD 'Digital' LS-P7000HG (which I haven't found much information on) speakers off ebay without the 12" drivers in them for I think around $150. It was college and I wanted some loud speakers, I thought I got a good deal and could have 12" drivers installed by my local guy. Blew out the low freq 'drivers' (both 6" and 12") senior year of college, fast forward to today when I've got another home theater project on my hands and the options of using these speakers again seemed appealing. Since back in the day, I'm now more handy with a drill, so I pulled the drivers and this is what I found

WTF! Like I said I'm no audiophile - but these speakers did sound good... He charged me $120 -- is this some design or was I scammed? Whoever I bought these from harvested the good low freq drivers, the blown 8"s were "Radio Shack 40-1043 full range drivers" which I have actually read some encouraging things about - what could they be replaced with?

Are these things worth putting money back into? The new home theater system features a 100" projection screen that is fantastic along with a Marantz SR6400 (from what I can gather this '6.1' surround sound receiver seems to have come out in the middle of surround sound technology as most support systems are either 5.1 or 7.1 -- am I wrong about this?). I haven't read up on this amp much but it seems to be pretty good stuff. Any sounds will be complimented with a Polk Audio PSWi 8M subwoofer which I must say is superb.

My other systems, which arn't much to speak of, are the upstairs television room with a first generation type surround sound receiver Yamaha RX-V1070 with a pair of KEF C40 (crisp!) and a pair of Sharp CP-6100 (shitty but they get loud!). The bedroom consists of a NAD C325BEE (Very crisp!) powering a pair of KEF Carina II SP3017 [very very very bassy] complimented on the hi freq end by a pair of Dual DJL 52Ps(crap), but, together, IMO, sound VERY nice.

I may also have a pair of Thiel CS1.2 for the new entertainment system but not sure if the Dad is going to let go of them yet (he got some Martain Logan electrostatic speakers but is still nostalgic for his Thiels).

So bottom line here -- A) What's up with these kenwoods, B) If I could take any parts of any of my systems what would work best for the new 100" screen entertainment room -- I will have the marantz here to be able to upgrade to surround but will only be running 2.1 for now. I was thinking of fixing the kenwoods and running them together with the Thiels in this room powered by the Marantz and complimented by the Polk sub -- is that not smart?

Say I have a budget of $500 for new floor speakers, is something like this

Amazon.com: Infinity Primus P363 Three-way dual 6-1/2-Inch Floorstanding Speaker (Black, Each): Electronics

the way to go? Should I only be using 1 pair of floor speakers for this set up or can I mix and match??

THANKS SO ALL FOR READING AND REPLYING!!!!

Last edited:
darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Looks like what you have there are passive radiators. So you didn't get screwed like you think. Sounds like your speakers had the 8's in them as drivers and each one had a 12" PR. You didn't get scammed. I guess you're just not familiar with a PR design.

M

majeski2

Audiophyte
Man I feel so stupid !!!!!!! That's why I posted in the beginners forum. But honestly those 'radiators' are $60? Can anybody reccommed a decent pair of 8"s to put in these suckers? Thanks guys and so sorry for slandering the dude I've been going to. :/

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
It's difficult to CORRECTLY replace drivers in a system. There's a multitude of electrical and physical propeties that go into the design of a speaker system. There are more considerations than just being able to fit into that hole. The enclosure (and crossover) and driver are all part of a delicate balance designed to get the best performance of the three components.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
IMO, if you are really connected to them, then start searching for some original equipment, you were much better off getting the damaged components repaired {reconed} when they were damaged 9 years ago, but since that ship has sailed, if you really like the speaers find some OEM stuff and rebuild them...

As far as using them in an HT, I think you would be much better off with a 5.1 system, $500 is a tough budget, you shouldnt mix and match your front sound stage {fornt left and right and front center} they should all be series {timbre} matched...
For $500
I would lean towards...
Amazon.com: Fluance AVBP2 Home Theater Bipolar Surround Sound Satellite Speakers: Electronics or Amazon.com: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers: Electronics for your surrounds, depends if you like bookshelfs or bi di pole for surrounds, and your room setup...
Amazon.com: Pioneer SP-FS52-LR Andrew Jones Designed Floor standing Loudspeaker (each): Electronics
Amazon.com: Pioneer SP-C22 Andrew Jones Designed Center Channel Speaker: Electronics
that will keep you in budget and get you all five, now if your budget includes the subs? then it will be even tougher...

I would get this sub {on sale rite now} Amazon.com: Polk Audio PSW505 12-Inch Powered Subwoofer (Single, Black): Electronics {how big is your room}

another good option for speakers is this jamo set that is a really good deal... Amazon.com: Jamo S 426 HCS 3 WENGE 5-Piece Home Theater System (Wenge): Electronics
Them and the sub would be around $400 and I don't think you will find better for the price...

What you are going to sacrifice is being SUPER loud, Im not sure what levels you are looking for and where your seating position is in relation to your speakers position, but the loudness level isn't going to be very impressive with that avr and speakers of "normal" efficiency... You either need much more power or much more sensitive speakers... What I listed above is a great starting point, I would opt for the jamos and the polk sub $400 is a great price for that much gear, and the quality is much better than any HTIB will ever grant you..

M

majeski2

Audiophyte
These options you have directed me to seem great, thank you very much -- the room is 12x20 and the seating area is about 18' back from the screen, The Jamo deal seems affordable and easy with decent reviews. However my Polk Audio PSWi 8M does have some good sound to it -- but the reviews are a bit harsh. I don't really have the ears for all this stuff yet and I got this sub already, you think it needs to be upgraded using either set up?

These are the specs for my MARANTZSR6400 receiver at 6OHM

Front L&R ......................................... 6 ohms 125 W / Ch
Center .............................................. 6 ohms 125 W / Ch
Surround L&R .................................. 6 ohms 125 W / Ch

And for the JAMO set

F C Surr
Power long/short term [W] 100 / 140 80 / 120 60 / 100

So it looks like I'm within range but I wanted to confirm with someone more knowledgeable -- do these numbers match up well enough for 5.1 HT on a budget?

Last edited:
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
5 1/2" drivers can only move so much air and 18' is quite a distance. A larger system might be better but unless you play it "stupid loud" you should br fine. And, when you approach "stupid loud", the sound starts to break up and that's a warning to turn it down now.

Now, if you want "stupid loud", you'll have to invest a bit more money into speakers.

It's kinda like when I worked for Radio Shack in the seventies andsome kid would buy a $12.95 walkie talkie and expect it to be as good as a base station with a rooftop antenna. Ain't gonna happen.

Building a system around those Infinities might be a better idea but it'll cost a bit more. And, for a room that size, you might want to consider a more serious subwoofer.

Last edited:
ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
A room that size is going to need some subwoofer for sure, I would lean towards 2 of the polk 505's in all honesty, as a starting point... 1 will get you going for sure, Im not familiar with the one you own, I thought you needed a sub too...

The jamos play well, the trick to getting a lot of sound out of a system like this is to cross out the bass to your sub so you avrs amp has more power for your voice and above... I bought my sister a set of them jamos last year, she really does love them, even my audiophile brother likes them a lot and could not believe they were $200, every time we are over there he says "how can anyone buy a HTIB when you can get something like this?"

Everyone has different taste when it comes to sound, I like a good amount of bass, but no people that like 5 times more than me, and know people that think my 6.5" fronts sound fine crossed at 80hz with the subwoofer shut off???? its just personal taste, with a big screen and a movie like experience and a room that large, I would personally be looking into dual vtf2's but that will be over $1000... My room is smaller and I have dual vtf2's , although it can be way too much, it is nice to have it when I want "way too much"....

As for your fronts, I am done with towers, the output you can get from decent bookshelfs is way understated.. I am now addicted to bookshelfs, towers are nice but they are made large to reach lower, which when crossing to a sub is not needed... I think them jamos may b a good fit for you, but there are other options, fluance sxhtb5 will have more output with bigger drivers for your large room but double the cost too Amazon.com: Fluance SXHTB+ 5 Speaker Surround Sound Home Theater System: Electronics..

M

majeski2

Audiophyte
So if ya had to choose which of the more expensive set ups are the experts going to approve of the Andrew Jones Pioneer setup or the Fluance setup. Thanks again to everybody helping me out.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
For quality sound I'd go for the Pioneer setup. For loudness, I'd go for the Fluance.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
mark hit the nail on the head, Pioneers are going to be flatter and sound "better" more uniform, warmer, ect.. But the Fluance are going to have more output, I don't know whay but the pioneers just aren't LOUD, they sound great, but I wouldn't put them in a huge room... The fluance don't sound bad at all, i like their products for the budget systems, and they are well built too, I would lean towards them, honestly if you put them side by side, only us "idiots" would here the difference anyway..

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I always thought it was kind of a funny "misnomer" when they were doing it back in the day - there's sort of no such thing as a "digital" speaker. That's as marketing term as it gets.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis