sc-25 7.1 connection

skads_187

skads_187

Audioholic
just wanted to verify how to connect a 7.1 setup on a sc-25 receiver
currently for my 5.1 setup, i have the back speakers connected to Surround L and R

1.) so if i go to 7.1, do I need to move those cables to Surround Back L and R then the new additional 2 speakers for the sides will no be connected to Surround L and R?

2.) if my connection logic is correct, when watching 5.1 content, it will still use the 2 speakers in the back and not the side ones which are 90 degrees to me right?

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
1) I guess it depends on where your existing surrounds are located. If they are behind you then they would be the surround back L & R and then you would add the surrounds more the the side of you.

2) No 5.1 would not play the surround back only the surround which would be the ones you are talking about adding.

You can always make all content 7.1 buy using one of the surround fields like Dolby PLIIx or NEO6.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Maybe I don't understand pain English too well, but I will try to clear this up as simply as possible.

Your surround speakers should flank the listening area.

Your rear surrounds should be on the back wall behind the listening area.

skads_187

skads_187

Audioholic
ok i got it now, so basically, i will be changing where they are plugged, my rear ones will now be plugged to surround back L and R.
just to clarify, i did say "back speakers" however, they are not that far back, they are kind of diagonally next to me. its hard to explain, but now with the 7.1 setup, i will push them back further. and have the L and R 90 degrees to my seating position. i will be using the dolby chart basically.

also, adk highlander, thanks for mentioning that, i had another 2 questions:

1.) is it bad to extend 5.1 content to 7.1 using those modes (Dolby PLIIx and NEO6), meaning, am i losing quality in the sense that im not listening to it the way its meant to be heard? Im assuming its still better to use since I will now have it setup?

2.) Whats better to use, the Dolby PLIIx movie and NEO:6 Cinema modes OR the THX Surround EX and THX Select 2 Cinema (and whats the difference?)

Last edited by a moderator:
adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Yes I would move them back more directly behind you and have the others more to your sides on the left and right.

As for your other questions.

1) I don't think so at all. In fact on my Denon when it is using a DTS tract it makes it 7.1 even if it is 5.1 by default. Now there are no discrete channels for those speakers so it is up to the algorithm to matrix the sound but it seems to me to impact the sound minimally if at all. Adding in the surround backs makes the room more "full" in my opinion. It is better with a full 7.1 sound tract because it will have effects programmed to those specific channels.

2) Play with them and see which one you like best. The actual difference is in the math of how each company chooses to create their sound fields. I am not smart enough to truly understand the variations in a true technical sense but in general I prefer Dolby over NEO in most cases. I did like THX Surround EX but my new 4520 does not have THX sound fields. The biggest difference in sound I have found has been moving up to better versions of Audyssey. The latest version that allows for configuration of two sub-woofers has brought new life to my theater.

skads_187

skads_187

Audioholic
thanks for the info, i will play around with it and see which one sounds best. 2 subs wow! I can just imagine.
i have to lower mine, i got a 12" velodyne in my basement, it actually knocked down a picture frame 2 floors up in our bedroom when watching terminator salvation.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis