Saw -- not the unrated version

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Tonight a buddy and I are going to see the Toronto preview of Saw 2. So I decided last night to watch the original again. I had seen it previously once before, at a friend's place, who didn't have a surround sound setup. The movie was good, scary, shocking, and fun.

Last night, however, watching Saw at home in DTS 6.1, scared the crap out of me! The side and rear surrounds were extremely immersive, with a lot of special effects and ambiance coming from them. I was also surprised to hear dialogue coming from the rear surrounds, something I rarely notice in movies. Important dialogue too -- don't watch the DTS 6.1 if you don't have 6.1 or 7.1 setup at home, or you'll see a person reacting to dialogue that you won't hear. I didn't listen to the Dobly Digital 5.1, so I can't comment on that.

Lots of bass throughout the entire movie, used in the same way as the surrounds: tons of ambiance and special effects.

Oh, and the movie itself is awesome. Critics were divided on it, but most of my friends loved it. It's an interesting premise too. Remember Kevin Spacey from Se7en? His character would love this flick!

The unrated version was recently released, and, strangely, has the same running time as the rated version. I'm still gonna pick up the new disc anyway.

Recommended.

cheers,
supervij

nuance

nuance

Junior Audioholic
Yeah I just bought it the other day and thought it was awsome. I can't vouch for the sound quality, but just wanted to say its a real good movie.

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
I just came back from seeing the sequel, Saw 2, and I was mildly disappointed. It borrowed a bit too much from the first two Cube movies. But I was happy that we got more elaborate traps and weirdness from Jigsaw. And he's in most of the movie too, which was different from the first one.

Donnie Wahlberg's character really didn't add much to the movie's impact. Seemed like the writers game him stuff to do cos they wanted to reach a certain running time.

While it was a decent horror/shocker movie, for me personally, the first one's the better flick.

cheers,
supervij

J

JP_Silver_S2k

Audioholic Intern
But I was happy that we got more elaborate traps and weirdness from Jigsaw. And he's in most of the movie too, which was different from the first one.
Uhh, actually jigsaws in like almost 45% of the first movie

not gunna spoil it for those who havent seen it
;)

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
JP_Silver_S2k said:
Uhh, actually jigsaws in like almost 45% of the first movie

not gunna spoil it for those who havent seen it
;)
Yeah, I know that, but just saying that is kind of a spoiler, no?

In the second one, we know who he is, but in the first one, we don't.

At any rate, go rent it and scare the crap out of yourself!

cheers,
supervij

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Does anyone know what is different in the uncut version? I find it odd that it's the same length as the original version.

T

techigirl78

Junior Audioholic
supervij said:
Last night, however, watching Saw at home in DTS 6.1, scared the crap out of me! The side and rear surrounds were extremely immersive, with a lot of special effects and ambiance coming from them. I was also surprised to hear dialogue coming from the rear surrounds, something I rarely notice in movies. Important dialogue too -- don't watch the DTS 6.1 if you don't have 6.1 or 7.1 setup at home, or you'll see a person reacting to dialogue that you won't hear. I didn't listen to the Dobly Digital 5.1, so I can't comment on that.
That's awesome to hear. I just ordered Saw uncut yesterday and bought a whole new HT setup today. Now I'm really looking forward to watching this movie again once I got everything setup.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I'm getting SAW in today, and my new Receiver will be in tommorrow, I'm getting excited to watch this again, then one more time when I get the Uncut version.

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Yeah, I noticed the indentical running length too. I figure it's just replacement shots -- more gore, more ick. That's all. But the unrated release has a lot more extras, including the original short film that inspired/was the basis for Saw. Looking forward to seeing that!

techigirl and GlocksRock, hope you enjoy the madness!

And check out the sequel -- lots of fun there too. Saw 3 is already confirmed too!

cheers,
supervij

T

techigirl78

Junior Audioholic
Going to see Saw II on Saturday. Bad reviews, but all my friends who have seen it liked it a lot.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I can't wait to see SAW II as well, but I may wait for it to hit the dollar theater.

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
I was lucky; I won tickets to see the Toronto premiere of Saw II. Otherwise, I generally wait for everything to hit the rep cinemas, and I would have waited for Saw II as well. This year the only exceptions were of Star Wars III and Serenity -- some movies were just made for the super-giant screen of the megaplexes. :)

cheers,
supervij

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis