Satisfaction with The Rolling Stones..and My Old Turntable

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Well, as a few here may remember, I purchased a new cartridge a few weeks ago to replace my Shure V15V-MR, which had become suspect from wear. The initial experience with the new Shure M97xE was undermined by the snap, crackles, and pops that seemed to be heard more or less on all my old LP's, as well as new ones.

Today, I cleaned a few of my records, mostly my collection of Rolling Stones Albums, with a Spin-Clean. And, then, after brushing them with an anti-static brush I played these old records again and actually enjoyed the experience, which was largely without the distraction of pops and crackles.

At any rate, now, without the distractions, I can say the Shure M97xE is getting me the Satisfaction I expected from it.

C

class a

Junior Audioholic
Excellent cart. It's a very good tracker and works well w/used records. A few years back I used the 97xE w/a Yamaha PF-800 TT w/very good results. If you want better results I would look into the Record Doctor V for $199. The cleaner you can get your records the better the sound. Investing in a VPI 16.5 was one of my biggest upgrades as I do purchase mostly used 33's.

S

sterling shoote

Excellent cart. It's a very good tracker and works well w/used records. A few years back I used the 97xE w/a Yamaha PF-800 TT w/very good results. If you want better results I would look into the Record Doctor V for $199. The cleaner you can get your records the better the sound. Investing in a VPI 16.5 was one of my biggest upgrades as I do purchase mostly used 33's.
One of the records I cleaned was a Rolling Stones album called "Tattoo You". After cleaning and brushing this album, it played perfectly, no snap, crackle, or pop's heard. Now, the big surprise was when I was putting the record back in its sleeve, I noticed a huge crater on the record's surface. This crater was apparent on both sides of the record. How the Shure M97xE played through that crater I do not know; but, it did. Perhaps, it was the dynamic stabilizer that helped. At any rate, I'm now a happy camper, having figured out how to get rid of the pops and crackles. And, thank you for the tip on the record cleaning machines. The Spin Clean seems to be effective right now; but, I'll keep your suggestions in mind.

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I went through a few cleaning options with my record collection as I built it up. It's all recent enough that I don't have albums from before this AH insanity but now all that's left is that Dr. Watts Dust Bug that TLS raves about. The carbon fiber brush was fun for a while but it too made its way to another TT owner as a gift. In the end I found the lotions and potions to be more work than I signed up for. I did buy some anti-static sleeves to use as replacements.

Tattoo You has Heaven on it. Killer tune that I only own on vinyl. I just put it on: PITA being track 3 though. My TT needs a remote control. At some point I would like to digitize this collection but I don't know how exactly and who has that kind of time?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I went through a few cleaning options with my record collection as I built it up. It's all recent enough that I don't have albums from before this AH insanity but now all that's left is that Dr. Watts Dust Bug that TLS raves about. The carbon fiber brush was fun for a while but it too made its way to another TT owner as a gift. In the end I found the lotions and potions to be more work than I signed up for. I did buy some anti-static sleeves to use as replacements.

Tattoo You has Heaven on it. Killer tune that I only own on vinyl. I just put it on: PITA being track 3 though. My TT needs a remote control. At some point I would like to digitize this collection but I don't know how exactly and who has that kind of time?
You can add something like the ART Phono Plus for digitizing but it is still somewhat time consuming by nature.

S

sterling shoote

I digitized my LP collection a few years ago. I purchased Roxio Easy LP to MP3 software and simply followed directions. Now, although it all worked out very well, it took me about 3 hours of time on the laptop for every album transfer. This made me think just repurchasing the albums from iTunes at about $9.99 each a better idea. So, today the only things I digitize are albums which are not available from iTunes. BTW, "Heaven" is one of my favorites too. My all time favorite is "Can't You Hear Me Knocking". There's an alternative version of that one on the Deluxe edition of "Sticky Fingers".

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis