Samsung's UHD is consumer grade 4K

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm somewhat confused between 4K like that is advertised by LG and UHD as advertised by Samsung. After reading the article below, I believe they are one in the same as they are both consumer grade products released to the general populous. I thought inititially that this was th eenxt upcoming format war but it doesn't appear to be..(unless this article is technically incorrect)

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/174221-no-tv-makers-4k-and-uhd-are-not-the-same-thing

Based on budget, is it too early to jump on the 4K bandwagon? I looked at 4K disc players and they seem prohibitvely expensive at the moment, relatively much more than their display counterparts. Until my Yammy dies (I suspect I'll kick the bucket before it does) I can't justify purchasing a new AVR to support 4K pass through. I'm just looking ahead to see how I'm going to evolve my systems.

Last edited:
Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I'm somewhat confused between 4K like that is advertised by LG and UHD as advertised by Samsung. After reading the article below, I believe they are one in the same as they are both consumer grade products released to the general populous. I thought inititially that this was th eenxt upcoming format war but it doesn't appear to be..(unless this article is technically incorrect)

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/174221-no-tv-makers-4k-and-uhd-are-not-the-same-thing

Based on budget, is it too early to jump on the 4K bandwagon? I looked at 4K disc players and they seem prohibitvely expensive at the moment, relatively much more than their display counterparts. Until my Yammy dies (I suspect I'll kick the bucket before it does) I can't justify purchasing a new AVR to support 4K pass through. I'm just looking ahead to see how I'm going to evolve my systems.
4K is pure marketing BS. UHD is the more appropriate term. UHD includes HDR and Wide Color Gamut. 4K is just superfluous resolution. Also, why bother with 4K unless you're going to purchase an 80 inch set.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I can't justify purchasing a new AVR to support 4K pass through. I'm just looking ahead to see how I'm going to evolve my systems.
You can always connect your source directly to the TV as well as the AVR. You don't need an AVR with by-pass if you by-pass it yourself. Most sources have two outputs, but you can get an HDMI splitter from Amazon if yours do not. It is less convenient when you are changing sources because you will have to change the TV source as well, but that depends on your system. If you only have one 4K or UHD source, that is the only one you need to deal with.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
One thing that I have learned is that there are a lot of TV manufacturers touting the 4K logo. There are some cheap 4K TV's out there, but they use an 8-bit panel. The more expensive 4K TV's use HDR10 which is a 10-bit panel. It is best to read very carefully if you plan to buy a 4K TV. For example, Hisense has a 50" 4K TV that claims it has HDR. However, it is actually an 8-bit panel that simulates 10 bit. To make matters worse, the Hisense could only display 4K via USB. There was an update here recently that now allows 4K content via HDMI 2.0 that is said to be HDCP 2.2 compliant. Dolby Vision is the BIG new thing using 12-bit panels. Just goes to show you that at the end of the day we get what we pay for. That is NOT always the case, but it is more often than not.

Cheers,

Phil

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
The cheapest 4K Blu-ray players are the Xbox One S and Philips BDP7501. I have both, and am probably going to sell my BDP7501 soon because I was eventually able to get everything working with the Xbox One S. The Xbox One S is more picky about discs being made exactly to spec and will only work with 18Gbps displays, while the BDP7501 is more forgiving of discs and will work with 10Gbps displays.

The BDP7501 also has the very nice feature of dual simultaneous HDMI outputs: one for video and HDCP v2.2 for connection to your display and the other for audio and HDCP v1.4 for connection to an older receiver or processor. I really wish I could use that feature with all of my 4K streaming sources, but the BDP7501 only supports Netflix—it does not support Amazon or Crunchyroll. As then I could make use of my external miniDSP nanoAVR-DL which is limited to HDCP v1.4.

The latest 2016 LG OLED Ultra HD displays introduced at CES 2016 will do Premium Ultra HD. This is the original intended spec of HDR10 and I wouldn't get an older non-Premium Ultra HD display. The latest Samsung Quantum Dot LCD Ultra HD displays are also Premium Ultra HD. The trade off is better blacks with the OLED and better brightness with the LCD. So your room's lighting situation will influence your choice. There are also concerns with age degradation of OLED panels, which Samsung is taking advantage of with their warranty and marketing.

J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic
The cheapest 4K Blu-ray players are the Xbox One S and Philips BDP7501. I have both, and am probably going to sell my BDP7501 soon because I was eventually able to get everything working with the Xbox One S. The Xbox One S is more picky about discs being made exactly to spec and will only work with 18Gbps displays, while the BDP7501 is more forgiving of discs and will work with 10Gbps displays.

The BDP7501 also has the very nice feature of dual simultaneous HDMI outputs: one for video and HDCP v2.2 for connection to your display and the other for audio and HDCP v1.4 for connection to an older receiver or processor. I really wish I could use that feature with all of my 4K streaming sources, but the BDP7501 only supports Netflix—it does not support Amazon or Crunchyroll. As then I could make use of my external miniDSP nanoAVR-DL which is limited to HDCP v1.4.

The latest 2016 LG OLED Ultra HD displays introduced at CES 2016 will do Premium Ultra HD. This is the original intended spec of HDR10 and I wouldn't get an older non-Premium Ultra HD display. The latest Samsung Quantum Dot LCD Ultra HD displays are also Premium Ultra HD. The trade off is better blacks with the OLED and better brightness with the LCD. So your room's lighting situation will influence your choice. There are also concerns with age degradation of OLED panels, which Samsung is taking advantage of with their warranty and marketing.
I believe that nothing beats OLED. Now with the announcement of other manufacturers such as Panasonic; this is the way to go. The pricing on OLED will go down once the new brands appear on the market. I believe that Samsung's SUHD sets (expensive) but do not compare to OLED. OLED has the very best color & blacks. They also have infinite contrast ratio with no backlighting or edge lt (those are used in 4K UHD sets, and that technology is obsolete. Soon, you will see that 4K UHD will fade and go down in price further.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I believe that nothing beats OLED. Now with the announcement of other manufacturers such as Panasonic; this is the way to go. The pricing on OLED will go down once the new brands appear on the market. I believe that Samsung's SUHD sets (expensive) but do not compare to OLED. OLED has the very best color & blacks. They also have infinite contrast ratio with no backlighting or edge lt (those are used in 4K UHD sets, and that technology is obsolete. Soon, you will see that 4K UHD will fade and go down in price further.
It is my understanding that everything is headed in that direction. LG has been working on licensing the technology. So OLEDS with Dolby Vision ableit 12-bit panels is the way it is all coming together. I wanted to buy me a 4K TV, but I am going to wait until about this time next year before I do. Not going to buy a 4K BR player either until then. Hopefully, during the next 12-months the 4K market will be much more settled and also more affordable. Looking to get something in the 55"-65" range.

Cheers,

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis