Samsung's Curved Display

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I initially thought that a curved display was more of a sales gimmick than anything else up until I purchased one. The person working at Costco demonstrated to me that the curved display offered a wider angle of view than Samsung's flat panel. I'm not sure why Samsung is the only one offering 4K LED sets.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
It does not offer a wider angle of view unless they are messing with the technology or using an IPS panel in those displays. Curved TVs will offer a better sweet spot as is needed with the off-axis viewing issues of LCD, but it makes other locations have a higher level of distortion from edge to edge as their off axis viewing is inconsistent across the screen.

Samsung's SUHD models may also produce a greater range of viewing angle without loss when off axis, but it is not the curve which is doing this, but the technology of the panel itself.

I can't tell you for sure, but considering the price to make LCD glass, it is only the big players, which include Samsung and LG who will make the curved glass, and they aren't reselling it to other manufacturers since it nets them some additional cash in a fairly exclusive market.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Pretty much all of the big names are LED LCD panels now.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
It does not offer a wider angle of view unless they are messing with the technology or using an IPS panel in those displays. Curved TVs will offer a better sweet spot as is needed with the off-axis viewing issues of LCD, but it makes other locations have a higher level of distortion from edge to edge as their off axis viewing is inconsistent across the screen..
I'm not so sure about what you said is true based on my experience. I was comparing the viewing angles of the same series 65 " and 70" panels and the 65" curved showed more of the picture with less fade then that of the 70" straight panel.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Curved screens, in my opinion, are mostly gimmicks. The sales guy that you talked to is very good.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Curved screens, in my opinion, are mostly gimmicks. The sales guy that you talked to is very good.
I initially thought curved was a gimmick too until I tried looking off angle and the curved display had a much better display viewing off angle than the equivalent straight screen model.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis