Samsung TV connected to AVR not outputting audio

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Another consideration would be to use a streamer not in the tv itself, then no need for ARC or audio from the tv at all....

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Don't worry about the nomenclature being logical- they don't care.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, a separate and more capable streamer would make HDMI-CEC/ARC a non issue here when connected directly to the receiver.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Well, don’t I feel like a moron. DOH!

I had forgotten that I had an Amazon Prime stick in HDMI input port AV 3 on the Yammy 3070 here in my office and now that I think about it, I also have a spare Prime stick for the living room TV.

So I’ve brought myself a temporary reprieve from the Department Of War … the missus … in the living room.

The TOSLINK cable arrived late yesterday, combined with a bad hair health day, so I’ll get to it tomorrow, if I’m not invaded by the locusts … the kids and the one man wrecking crew, my grandson, Bronco Nagurski.

BTW, I want to thank TLS and everyone here at Audioholics, who gave me a lot of good information and options. You guys are the best.

Last edited:
Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Wanted everyone to know that everything is peachy keen with TOSLINK optical cable, from the ‘for what it’s worth’ department.

For semi-modern Samsung TV / Yamaha RX-A3070 owner’s, just connect one end of the TOSLINK optical cable to the Samsung optical out on the rear panel of the TV and the other end to the Yamaha AUDIO 1 optical (2 TV) input. Go into the TV ‘Settings’ and change the ‘Sound’ setting from ‘TV speaker’ to ‘Audio Out/Optical’ and change the AVR input to ‘AUDIO 1’ and Voila!, you’re done.

P.S. You will not be able to use your normal surround speakers feature; strictly 2.0 or 2.1, 2.2 (in ‘Straight’ mode).

DON’T FORGET to change back the audio out to “TV Speaker’ on your Samsung TV and change the Yammy AVR back to ‘AV 2’ if you’re going back to watching TV on your normal cable set-top box.

And keep in mind your mileage may vary depending on what newish brand/model TV and the AVR/receiver amp you're using. Read your TV/AVR documentation, it's chock full of good information. Or contact the manufacturers support tech support people. These are the kind of issue's/problems that keeps them employed. ;)

That’s all folks!

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Wanted everyone to know that everything is peachy keen with TOSLINK optical cable, from the ‘for what it’s worth’ department.

P.S. You will not be able to use your normal surround speakers feature; strictly 2.0 or 2.1, 2.2 (in ‘Straight’ mode).

That just sounds like the signal is 2ch rather than 5ch....some tv's do limit the audio output to 2ch even by ARC, tho. I always routed my cable set top box thru the avr, too.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja

For semi-modern Samsung TV / Yamaha RX-A3070 owner’s, just connect one end of the TOSLINK optical cable to the Samsung optical out on the rear panel of the TV and the other end to the Yamaha AUDIO 1 optical (2 TV) input. Go into the TV ‘Settings’ and change the ‘Sound’ setting from ‘TV speaker’ to ‘Audio Out/Optical’ and change the AVR input to ‘AUDIO 1’ and Voila!, you’re done.

DON’T FORGET to change back the audio out to “TV Speaker’ on your Samsung TV and change the Yammy AVR back to ‘AV 2’ if you’re going back to watching TV on your normal cable set-top box.

And keep in mind your mileage may vary depending on what newish brand/model TV and the AVR/receiver amp you're using. Read your TV/AVR documentation, it's chock full of good information. Or contact the manufacturers support tech support people. These are the kind of issue's/problems that keeps them employed. ;)

That’s all folks!
After selecting Optical for Audio Out, you can leave it alone. You don't need to change it when switching to the receiver input and switching the receiver from TV to another Source Input device. After changing to Optical, go into TV Settings>Sound>Expert Settings>Digital Output Audio Format and select Dolby Digital to enable 5.1 output. Some signals will still output in 2.0. To up mix and make use of surround speakers with these signals, simply switch from Straight Mode to Dolby Surround.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis