Samsung...not a player yet?

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Samsung is a monster company and is truly pushing out the boundaries for video displays. However their entry in AVRs is pretty weak, unfortunately like their Blu-ray players they have chosen the economical of bypassing the HDMI/HDCP certification process..
Net result is weak compatibility with other HDMI components and a ton of HDMI handshake issues, stay clear..

Just my $0.01.. ;)

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Believe it or not, Samsung made some decent audio gear decades ago. I have a Samsung SA-3500 integrated amplifier that is probably over 30 years old, and is built somewhat like the solid Pioneer units of the 1970's that some people like to collect.

You can see a picture of it at:

http://www.audiocircuit.com/Home-Audio/Samsung/SA-3500

Interestingly, there is some disagreement about its power output:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=70367

I do not know which, if either, is correct. I got mine used, and have never seen any real documentation on it.

T

tom67

Full Audioholic
with their resources and technology, they could obviously be a player...but the unit shown here is $400 and 14 lbs which may signal a weak power supply.... it does not appear to be a bargain by any means....I would keep an eye on them though and wait and hope they get serious...another good choice is always welcome....

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Yikes!! Stay away..far away........:eek:

Stereo RMS Power (watts) 120
THD in Stereo 0.9 %
Frequency Bandwidth (stereo) 20-20k Hz
Surround Power (watts) 120
FM Sensitivity 12 dBf
Built-in DVD Player No
On-Screen Display No
Multiple Zones/Sources None
Composite Video Conversion No
S-Video Conversion No
Component Video Conversion No
DLNA Certified No
Multibrand Remote Control Yes
Learning Remote No
LCD Remote No
Width (inches) 16-15/16
Height (inches) 6-1/2
Depth (inches) 15-11/16
Weight (pounds) 13.7
Parts Warranty 1 Year
Labor Warranty 1 Year
Surround Processing
THX Certification No
Dolby Pro Logic II No :confused:
Dolby Pro Logic IIx Yes

Dolby Digital Yes
Dolby Digital EX Yes
DTS Yes
DTS ES Yes
DTS Neo:6 Yes
Dolby Digital Plus Yes
Dolby TrueHD Yes
DTS HD Yes
DTS HD Master Audio Yes
Inputs & Outputs
Phono Input No
Audio-Video Inputs 5
Front A/V Inputs RCA
Audio Inputs 1
S-Video Inputs None
S-Video Outputs None
S-Video Monitor Outputs None
Component Video Inputs 2
Component Video Monitor Outputs 1
Optical Digital Inputs 3
Coaxial Digital Inputs 1
Optical Digital Outputs None
Coaxial Digital Outputs None
HDMI Inputs 4
HDMI Monitor Outputs 1
Subwoofer Outputs 2
Preamp Outputs 2
Main Speaker Output Pairs 1
Main Speaker Terminals Posts
Ethernet Port None
i.Link/IEEE 1394 Connection ---

and from another tab of the same receiver..
Power and Processing:
120 watts x 7 into 6 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.9% THD
Dolby® TrueHD, DTS-HD™ Master Audio, Dolby® Digital Plus, DTS-HD™ High Resolution Audio, Pro Logic® IIz
Connections:
1080p-compatible HDMI digital video switching (4 in, 1 out)
HDMI version 1.4 with support for 3D video
Anynet+ simplifies control of compatible Samsung components via the HDMI connection (HDMI-CEC)
component video switching (2 in, 1 out)
digital audio inputs: 3 optical, 1 coaxial
five audio/video inputs, including:
1 front-panel input with composite video
4 rear-panel inputs with composite video
1 audio-only input
7.1-channel analog audio preamp inputs:confused: shouldn't this be outputs?
1 set of main speaker outputs
General Features:
iPod®/iPhone® integration with included Samsung iPod dock
A/V remote
30 FM presets
16-15/16"W x 6-1/2"H x 15-11/16"D
weight: 14 lbs.
warranty: 1 year

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
14 pounder LOL...
I'd wager it's using the same stuff they use in those T-amps, only larger sets. The company that owns the rights to the T-amp inards makes more powerful t-amp chipsets that work off of some kind of switching power supply. Believe it or not the topology is making waves and is very efficient.

Concerning the Samsung SA-3500 and it's meager output wattage; this is quite common actually. The 45 watts per channel is purely on a constant basis, and also keep in mind that a lot of these vintage pieces are pretty inefficient and a lot of power is wasted in heat dissipation over large aluminum heatsinks. It's quite common to see these amps bench test constant power exceeding their wpc rating and having 3-6dB excess headroom.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd wager it's using the same stuff they use in those T-amps, only larger sets. The company that owns the rights to the T-amp inards makes more powerful t-amp chipsets that work off of some kind of switching power supply. Believe it or not the topology is making waves and is very efficient.

Concerning the Samsung SA-3500 and it's meager output wattage; this is quite common actually. The 45 watts per channel is purely on a constant basis, and also keep in mind that a lot of these vintage pieces are pretty inefficient and a lot of power is wasted in heat dissipation over large aluminum heatsinks. It's quite common to see these amps bench test constant power exceeding their wpc rating and having 3-6dB excess headroom.
You maybe right but I'm staying clear until a review is done exposing the internals of this reciever.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
You maybe right but I'm staying clear until a review is done exposing the internals of this reciever.
Can you hear the difference between .9% and .09% THD?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Can you hear the difference between .9% and .09% THD?
You mean you can't?? :eek: ;)

I've emphasized the power spec and the light weight of the receiver plus the inconsistency of their specifications that leave me with an uneasy feeling. Not so much the THD specs.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis