Samsung HLN4365W DLP goes blank!

P

Pete Dzwonkas

Audioholic Intern
I experienced a loss of picture feeding this TV with a Sony DVD via component feeds after an hour or so of watching. It would go to blue screen with sound still coming thru and maybe jump back to a picture after 10 seconds or so. I thought the Sony was overheating because it was jammed into the shelf but that was not the case. Then I switched to S-video and it worked fine for months.

Then I replaced the Sony with my Onkyo receiver/dvd combo machine and went back to component. After about a day, it started in again. So the output device does not seem to be the culprit, but the DLP unit.

I want to watch in component, so what may be causing the Samsung to hiccup? It jumps the picture, goes blue, and sometimes the sound keeps coming thru, and after about 10 seconds it may restore itself. It may do this several times thru a movie, just like it lost the signal.

I took the Sony unit upstairs and hooked it up to my Olevia LCD and it did the same thing up there as well. Made me think the SOny was out of whack until the Onkyo did the same on the Samsung. What gives?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Did you use the same video cables or did you switch out the video cables first to rule them out as a possibility?

P

Pete Dzwonkas

Audioholic Intern
I'll try different cables with the DLP tonight. But in the bedroom, the SOny is connected with new cables thru a compnent switcher (passive JVC unit). Never any glitches with the HDTV tuner via component in the bedroom thru the switcher (both are Sony's on each of those tv's). Use DVI on the DLP unit.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
If I recall correctly, the early Samsung DLPs (HLN, like yours) have two different component inputs. One can only accept 480i and the other can accept 480p, 720p, or 1080i.

So do you have the DVD player set to progressive mode, but connected to the 480i only input? Just a thought...

P

Pete Dzwonkas

Audioholic Intern
Manual and back of unit label all 3 component inputs as accepting all resolutions. I tried a different cable in the Comp 2 input and so far no issue. Now to see if the cable or the input is bad. But since I have 3 inputs and only need 1, I'm less concerned with that.

M

Mark Duncan

Junior Audioholic
From what you were describing, it sounds like it was a bad component video cable.

Mark

R

roland61970

Enthusiast
same issue with hlp5674

I experienced the same probem this weekend with my 5674. At first I thought it was a Comcast cable issue, but saw the same thing with my DVD player. 2 different sources, 2 different sets of component cables. Must be the TV !!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis