Samsung forced to purchase LG displays

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It was already known that Samsung did not want to focus on large OLED and that QLED was their current path. They won't kill OLED, just wait until there is a tech that is more mature (they are actually one of the biggest OLED manufacturers in mobile). I suspect it will be the cheaper sets that we'll see coming from the LG side and that is panels, not TVs. Integration would still be done by Samsung.

Last edited:
Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
Their quality control is not great and their software sucks. They don't have a great track record of longevity and they don't offer the best picture quality. I happen to be in the "avoid all Samsung products" camp. I have been burned and seen people get burned too many times. I also can't for the life of me figure out why their phones are so popular. The craptacular software they stick on top of Android is enough to drive me away.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've had Samsung phones for years. No complaints, though their clunky software on top of Android isn't great. Easy enough to work around. Have had their TVs for many years without issue. Tablet - no issues. Every manufacturer will have those who have been burned. I've had plenty of LG phones too that were also fine but found that others suited me better. Everyone finds what works for them.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Their quality control is not great and their software sucks. They don't have a great track record of longevity and they don't offer the best picture quality. I happen to be in the "avoid all Samsung products" camp. I have been burned and seen people get burned too many times. I also can't for the life of me figure out why their phones are so popular. The craptacular software they stick on top of Android is enough to drive me away.
From a picture quality perspective, I have a hard time coming up with a manufacturer that beats them for current displays. Longevity remains to be seen but I have a washer and dryer from them that is going on + 15 years with out a hickuphick up.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
Objectively Samsung does not offer better picture quality. Even Vizio comes out ahead and a lot of it has to do with the fact that Samsung is using edge lit LCD panels. Vizio has full array local dimming even on their low end sets. Samsung is completely absent from CNet's list of TV's with the best picture quality:

https://www.cnet.com/topics/tvs/best-tvs/picture-quality/

Having worked in the custom A/V install field for years I have seen and worked with every major manufacturer and Samsung is consistently the most frustrating experience. I'm not alone in this sentiment. The professional installer section over at RemoteCentral reflects this. Here's just a recent thread about yet another Samsung related issue:

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-custom/thread.cgi?39053

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I've had Samsung phones for years. No complaints, though their clunky software on top of Android isn't great. Easy enough to work around. Have had their TVs for many years without issue. Tablet - no issues. Every manufacturer will have those who have been burned. I've had plenty of LG phones too that were also fine but found that others suited me better. Everyone finds what works for them.
+1, I'm with you.

2x Sammy TVs for ~10 years with no issues, 2x Sammy Phones for a couple years, no issues. My S6 Active has taken a few drops on concrete with just some blemishes on the bezel. Sammy also makes nice laptops.

However, I would avoid any Sammy large appliances! My sister had nothing but problems on her fridge.

I avoid LG, learned from others' mistakes on that.

Sony has let me down many times, I now avoid them (other than the PS).

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
My mother-in-law got one of the Samsung 7 series curved screens and IMHO it's just terrible. I'm not sure why their LCDs are more reflective than my Panasonic plasma, but it is and it is distracting. I did a simple calibration on the set and it is still not that great. The picture isn't uniform which is odd considering that older Samsung LCDs didn't seem to have that problem.

I tend to be overly critical of TVs, but I would have walked right past that one in the show room.

The current LG OLEDs look good to me, but I'm not convinced of their reliability. I've never liked an LG TV before the OLED.

If samsung would leave android alone I'd buy one of their phones in a heartbeat, but their modifications to the software make them a no go for me.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Objectively Samsung does not offer better picture quality. Even Vizio comes out ahead and a lot of it has to do with the fact that Samsung is using edge lit LCD panels. Vizio has full array local dimming even on their low end sets. Samsung is completely absent from CNet's list of TV's with the best picture quality:

Having worked in the custom A/V install field for years I have seen and worked with every major manufacturer and Samsung is consistently the most frustrating experience. I'm not alone in this sentiment. The professional installer section over at RemoteCentral reflects this. Here's just a recent thread about yet another Samsung related issue:

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-custom/thread.cgi?39053

I was seriously looking at Vizio's M series at Costco before picking up Samsung's KU6490 65" but its picture looked soft and out of focus. I checked the feed on the feed on the Vizio and was on its own seperate feed just like the Sammy. I'm very pleased with the picture and the black levels are far better on it than my old Vizio SV470M.

I also found it very easy to integrate into my system so I'm not faced with custom installation issues nor do I care about them. That point is moot to me.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

I want to correct some misinformation about Samsung's backlighting...at least with the KU series.. Its not edge lit .

From http://4k.com/tv/samsung-ku6500-review-4k-uhd-smart-curved-led-tv-series-un65ku6500-un55ku6500/,

" Furthermore, because the KU6500 offers direct-lit backlighting with LEDs across the back of the entire display space (though not as many as you’d see in a full-array 4K TV), the quality of the model’s local dimming technology isn’t too bad compared to what we’ve seen in edge-lit Samsung 4K TVs like the KU7000."

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I want to correct some misinformation about Samsung's backlighting...at least with the KU series.. Its not edge lit .

From http://4k.com/tv/samsung-ku6500-review-4k-uhd-smart-curved-led-tv-series-un65ku6500-un55ku6500/,

" Furthermore, because the KU6500 offers direct-lit backlighting with LEDs across the back of the entire display space (though not as many as you’d see in a full-array 4K TV), the quality of the model’s local dimming technology isn’t too bad compared to what we’ve seen in edge-lit Samsung 4K TVs like the KU7000."
That almost reads like the edge-lit is better...it isn't. Full array is the way to go. Direct lit sounds like it isn't quite as good, but should still be better than edge-lit.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
That almost reads like the edge-lit is better...it isn't. Full array is the way to go. Direct lit sounds like it isn't quite as good, but should still be better than edge-lit.
I read that as being just the opposite of your interpretation that its better than edge lighting .. ie. it may not have the full array buts its better than the KU7000's edge lighting... o_O

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I read that as being just the opposite of your interpretation that its better than edge lighting .. ie. it may not have the full array buts its better than the KU7000's edge lighting... o_O
Bad wording on my part I guess. I think we agree that it isn't as good as full array, but better than edge lighting. It should be anyway.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
In other news: Samsung Group chief charged with bribery, corporate nerve center dismantled. It seems that Lee Jae-yong is entangled in South Korea's massive corruption scandal that started last year resulting in the impeachment of their country's President. Although this doesn't bode well for the Samsung corporate strategy office, their electronics division remains intact. Guess we'll hide and watch and see what happens.
Not really much of a surprise, Samsung is literally ~20% of the South Korean economy!

From Wiki:
Samsung has a powerful influence on South Korea's economic development, politics, media and culture and has been a major driving force behind the "Miracle on the Han River".[10][11] Its affiliate companies produce around a fifth of South Korea's total exports.[12] Samsung's revenue was equal to 17% of South Korea's $1,082 billion GDP.[13]

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis