Evildude

Evildude

Audioholic Intern
I recently bought a 72" Samsung (HL72A750) and Im trying to properly calibrate it to get the best out of it, so I would like to know how many ppl here have DLP tv's so that maybe you guys can share some knowledge with me
Thank you.:)

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
There's a few calibration disks that are used, DVE and AVIA being the most popular.

Evildude

Evildude

Audioholic Intern
Well, I do have the Blu-ray version of video essentials...but it doesn't say anything about how to set up the xvYCC and stuff like that..
My tv has stuff about the HDMI black level, dynamic range and I really don't even know what that is for..any tips?

Now Slappy

Now Slappy

Audioholic
Evildude,

Why did you choose the Samsung? I'm in the market for another TV and have been considering the Mitzu WD-73736 and WD-73835. (In fact the WD-73835 is sitting in my cart, I just haven't pulled the trigger yet.) I have a late model 73" Mitzu Diamond now and I have been very happy with it, but it's big and cluncky and the people now in then are starting to get that green "high pro glow" around them.

Was it the price? B/C that is an attractive price for that size TV.

Evildude

Evildude

Audioholic Intern
Well after I did a lot of research on it according to cnet the samsung is more likely to please ppl who are actually always trying to achieve the best image, it really has a lot of stuff on the menus many of which I don't even know how to use. :(

After i went to the store and actually saw the 73 mitz next to the samsung, for me it clear which one i was gonna buy, besides being really light weight the price was really good $2400 after tax and s&h, I mainly use it with my PS3 and the blu-ray movies look so bright and clear, after the calibration, which i did myself.

Evildude

Evildude

Audioholic Intern
Just for the record,here are some of the settings I personally don't understand...
can someone please "demystify" them to me?

Black Adjust
Dynamic Contrast
Gamma
White Balance
xvYCC
HDMI Black Level

Thank you.;)

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Just for the record,here are some of the settings I personally don't understand...
can someone please "demystify" them to me?

Black Adjust
Dynamic Contrast
Gamma
White Balance
xvYCC
HDMI Black Level

Thank you.;)
Watch the DVE videos and they explain a lot of it.

Wikipedia is also your friend.;)

Black Adjust sounds like Brightness renamed
Dynamic Contrast is Contrast which is another name for white level

Gamma takes some deeper explanation.
White Balance is another name for white peaking. Which basically controls how bright your brights are. This is easily confused with Contrast

xyCC is super white stuff I think, but I'm unsure

HDMI Black Level is the Brightness for your HDMI inputs.
Black Level is a better name for brightness.

Evildude

Evildude

Audioholic Intern
Man!
I video tutorial or even a website on which they can explain in detail what each one do would be nice ;)

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
Evildude,

Why did you choose the Samsung? I'm in the market for another TV and have been considering the Mitzu WD-73736 and WD-73835.
One nice thing about the Samsung is it's an LED set, with no lamp or color wheel. That's one of the main reasons I chose an HL61A750 over a Mitsubishi last November.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis