Samsung and Vizio scale back on 3D TV support

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I know it's a little bit of a faux pas to link to another forum, but I found this article pretty interesting. It's a short one.

Looks like Samsung and Vizio are scaling back on 3D TV support. I don't blame them, I find 3D on the TV's I have, even at 64" underwhelming. However 3D on a big screen with a projector is actually pretty good. Plus you can adjust how much 3D you're getting, which really makes it more engaging.

Personally, I'd rather have the wider color gamut and deeper contrast, as well as higher resolution than 3D. At least until the glasses stop cutting such a large percentage of the light passing through the lenses and the 3D effects get a little more interesting than simply adding depth to the image.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I know it's a little bit of a faux pas to link to another forum, but I found this article pretty interesting. It's a short one.

Looks like Samsung and Vizio are scaling back on 3D TV support. I don't blame them, I find 3D on the TV's I have, even at 64" underwhelming. However 3D on a big screen with a projector is actually pretty good. Plus you can adjust how much 3D you're getting, which really makes it more engaging.

Personally, I'd rather have the wider color gamut and deeper contrast, as well as higher resolution than 3D. At least until the glasses stop cutting such a large percentage of the light passing through the lenses and the 3D effects get a little more interesting than simply adding depth to the image.
Thanks for the link.. I don't understand the reasons for link another site as a "faux pas" . I figure if its interesting, informative or both, then we should share our finds to the benefit of others.

About 3D itself, its a fad that lasted longer than I originally anticipated but I knew enough that it would eventually die out.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah I was never interested. I think 3D required better panels which led to improved picture quality.... But why not spare the glasses and just give me the picture?

L

Latent

Full Audioholic
It is interesting with 3D going backwards on the TV front big time now. Many of the companies that have pulled out completely now are those who backed Active 3D which is now a hopeless tech in 4k TV's today. When Active and Passive first came out as options the active had the advantage that it showed full 1080p resolution to each eye verses passive which only did 540p and lost lots of detail. For good 3D you need a big screen (or be close enough) and then you can see the missing lines! But Passive 3D had the advantages of cheap light glasses (get 10 pairs for a party if you want), very little cross-talk issues (unless the screen is not tilted correctly) and much nicer on the eyes.

Now we skip ahead to 4k and we have a situation where the source content and distribution is stuck at 1080p resolution and is not looking to go to 4k resolution 3D any time soon. This makes the only advantage Active 3D of showing the full resolution pointless and now passive 3d 4k screens can show full 1080p lines to each eye. So Passive 3D has all the advantages and those backing active will soon be giving up.

There are still three things stopping passive 4k 3D being perfect. First is the halving of brightness you get from the glasses which is somewhat reduced with the newer generation brighter screens. Second is you need to have a very big screen to get the best 3D immersion which can be expensive unless you sit close to your TV. And finally it will not pass HDR high bit depth color info because this has not been specified as an option yet in blu-ray or 3D TV's.

Would be nice if they gave the option to encode disks in 1080p 3D with HDR in the future but it seems unlikely now. What is an interesting option which would work right now would be to make a 4k HDR encoded blu-ray disk but put the two 1080p eye signals on each alternative line of the 4k HDR signal. Each eye would then get a full 3840x1080 resolution so it is higher horizontal resolution than normal plus it can be HDR as well. The blu-ray player and TV think its just a normal 4k signal but it would in fact work with certain branded passive 3D TV's. It works because passive 3d tv's always have their alternative line 3D polarization filter going as it is just a passive film. LG could make a demo disk (or h265 video file) for example to show off this option and later on build proper support for it.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Mine is active and it works very well. I wasn't interested in it either, but there was no model in the range that I wanted that didn't have it so I have it. Honestly, it looks WAY better than at the theater. 4 pairs of glasses cost me under $100.

It was clear 3D was scaled back last year already, showing up only a few expensive models as the prices dropped significantly for similar models without it.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I know it's a little bit of a faux pas to link to another forum
Thanks for the link.. I don't understand the reasons for link another site as a "faux pas" . I figure if its interesting, informative or both, then we should share our finds to the benefit of others.
I think it's official or unofficial rule on AVS, not to link to other forums, while here have no such obtuse restriction.

S

Seraphim6801

Enthusiast
I've always been an avid 3d TV fan and even bought a 70in Sharp Aquos 3DTV. I freaking love this thing... I understand it's not for everyone and even I don't use the 3D every day but I'm upset that the industry is moving away from it. Imagine if VR and 3D both went full steam ahead... We could have our own Holodeck s..lol. (Yeah, I geeked out right there)

Sent from my HTCD100LVWPP using Tapatalk

L

Latent

Full Audioholic
Mine is active and it works very well. I wasn't interested in it either, but there was no model in the range that I wanted that didn't have it so I have it. Honestly, it looks WAY better than at the theater. 4 pairs of glasses cost me under $100.
Yeah active 3d tv's can be pretty good as well. The one great advantage with active 3d tv's is that they need to have great refresh rates to avoid ghosting. Passive screens can be a lot slower and still work for 3d just fine. So with an active screen you get a great high speed 2d tv as well. All the 3d tv's seem like such a dying breed now though which is a shame as I enjoy 3D.

I've always been an avid 3d TV fan and even bought a 70in Sharp Aquos 3DTV. I freaking love this thing... I understand it's not for everyone and even I don't use the 3D every day but I'm upset that the industry is moving away from it. Imagine if VR and 3D both went full steam ahead... We could have our own Holodeck s..lol. (Yeah, I geeked out right there)
Yeah would be nice if they advanced the 3d tech in the future. I wish eye tracking and 3d body tracking had taken off. With VR they have nearly solved this and you get great content that is tailored to your head/eye positon because the screens are tied to your face. But with 3d tv's the 3d is fixed to a single Ideal stationary position. If a camera tracks your eyes position in real time and the content is game like and not pre rendered movie then you can do some cool things with a 3d tv in theory. It only works with one person at a time but that person gets a great 3d window into another world and can move around to view different angles. Surround you with say 6 3d projectors in a hexagonal small room and you can walk around in a mini holodeck wearing just a pair of 3d glasses. Add a 3d kinect style camera and you can interact with the 3d world and see/touch objects withen the 3d space as well. But anyway VR has replaced this solution for now but you need a bulky headset often with cables.

S

Seraphim6801

Enthusiast
I saw a recent post on Facebook about this place about to open(2017) in Utah called The Void. They call it a hyper augmented reality theme park. I highly recommend checking it out... Looks like I might take the youngin to Utah for a weekend or so if it ever gets off the ground.

Sent from my HTCD100LVWPP using Tapatalk

J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic

Duh; 3D already died. Nobody wants to wear those stupid glasses. Many people complain of headaches. Do you want to get rid of the headaches? Throw those stupid glasses in the trash. One day in the not too distant future, we will have real Glassless 3D. Soon we will see lots of 3D TV's and Curved TV in the yard sales and at Flea markets for pennies on the dollar. You can thank stores like Best Buy for telling everyone to buy this crap in the first place.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Duh; 3D already died. Nobody wants to wear those stupid glasses. Many people complain of headaches. Do you want to get rid of the headaches? Throw those stupid glasses in the trash. One day in the not too distant future, we will have real Glassless 3D. Soon we will see lots of 3D TV's and Curved TV in the yard sales and at Flea markets for pennies on the dollar. You can thank stores like Best Buy for telling everyone to buy this crap in the first place.
Nintendo 3DS already has the glasses-free tech.

Just need to move that up to the TV

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis