SAG approves strike

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

I guess we will be watching reruns and not sure what theaters are going to do. It seems one of the key points would be that their digital likeness can be used in perpetuity with no subsequent "royalties" to the actor beyond the capture of their digital self.

"But this groundbreaking AI proposal that they gave us yesterday — in that groundbreaking AI proposal, they propose that our background performers should be able to be scanned, get paid for one day's pay and their company should own that scan, their image, their likeness, and to be able to use it for the rest of eternity in any project they want with no consent and no compensation. So, if you think that's a groundbreaking proposal, I suggest you think again,"

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I do miss some of the better writing/shows but seems we're getting more of the dumb stuff now.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
For several weeks, I've noticed an unusually high amount of publicity for upcoming movies. I can't tell you many cheap publicity articles I've ignored about such movies as Barbie or the latest Tom Cruise crap. These articles were in various online news outlets, but all were the type of breathless publicity that comes only with movie producer-based publicity releases.

I dismissed them as the typical pre-release publicity that comes with movies the production studios already believe are real dogs. They know most of their chances for selling tickets will disappear after the first weekend, when word of mouth gets out. However, the sheer amount of publicity did seem excessive.

The SAG-AFTRA strike explains it all. The striking actors now may not participate in any publicity for these movies. The movie studios were trying to get that in before the strike.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Barbie is getting good reviews, but I can't possibly understand what that movie might be about. For sure, not interested in going to a theater to see it.

I saw another blip yesterday that said the cast of Oppenheimer walked out of the premier after the SAG strike was announced.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Barbie is getting good reviews, but I can't possibly understand what that movie might be about.
It's a celebration of pretty brain dead women spawning offsprings while satisfying her husband, cleaning the house and offspring (hopefully). And of course, be submissive and meek.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Barbie is getting good reviews, but I can't possibly understand what that movie might be about. For sure, not interested in going to a theater to see it.

I saw another blip yesterday that said the cast of Oppenheimer walked out of the premier after the SAG strike was announced.
Anxious to see the nudity in it. :D

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic

My GF dragged me to see Barbie. I went thinking positive; it'll be entertaining. It was barely that. In fact, my GF was squirming in her seat by halfway through. Though I doubt she'll admit that at the water cooler.

It reminds me of fads like bagels, frozen yogurt, chicken and waffles, pollo asado, or whatever the fad du jour is. Things that everyone "loved" and a year later 99% of them were out of business. I guess they didn't really love them that much after all. But for that moment in time, they were better than sliced bread. I don't understand how the hype for any of these built up to the levels they do with stores on every corner during their peak.

This is becoming my opinion on more and more movies and tv shows lately. It's like we programmed ourselves to have to like them to fit in with society.

At least I told her I would only go if we saw it at Flix Brewhouse; :cool:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My GF dragged me to see Barbie. I went thinking positive; it'll be entertaining. It was barely that. In fact, my GF was squirming in her seat by halfway through. Though I doubt she'll admit that at the water cooler.

It reminds me of fads like bagels, frozen yogurt, chicken and waffles, pollo asado, or whatever the fad du jour is. Things that everyone "loved" and a year later 99% of them were out of business. I guess they didn't really love them that much after all. But for that moment in time, they were better than sliced bread. I don't understand how the hype for any of these built up to the levels they do with stores on every corner during their peak.

This is becoming my opinion on more and more movies and tv shows lately. It's like we programmed ourselves to have to like them to fit in with society.

At least I told her I would only go if we saw it at Flix Brewhouse; :cool:
Just curious, of all movies to buy tickets to/see in theaters, what was the particular draw with this one? I gotta say until it appears free on one of my services I am not giving it a whole lot of thought at all....

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
Just curious, of all movies to buy tickets to/see in theaters, what was the particular draw with this one? I gotta say until it appears free on one of my services I am not giving it a whole lot of thought at all....
To quote Ozzy, the media sells it, and you live the roll. I agree with you and had no desire to see it. I was just doing the good bf thing. She's done plenty for me.

You're probably not aware of this, but the theaters are still selling out in advance for this movie. She bought our tickets 2 days ago and there weren't many seats left when she did.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
To quote Ozzy, the media sells it, and you live the roll. I agree with you and had no desire to see it. I was just doing the good bf thing. She's done plenty for me.

You're probably not aware of this, but the theaters are still selling out in advance for this movie. She bought our tickets 2 days ago and there weren't many seats left when she did.
No did not know about that level of popularity, altho did see something about another movie having tickets go the way of the bullshit music show industry ticketing these days. I have purchased tickets for new releases, but Barbie was never on that radar, but if it was for your girl, then entirely understandable especially if she likes some movies on the "male" side that you want to take her to....

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Got tix for Oppenheimer on Sunday in 70mm. Almost every showing, regardless of format, in most nearby theaters was almost sold out. Most showings only had the front row available.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
It reminds me of fads like bagels, frozen yogurt, chicken and waffles,
FYI, A fad = an intense and widely shared enthusiasm for something, especially one that is short-lived and without basis in the object's qualities; the fad of bagels, ( started in the US in the early 1900's) frozen yogurt (1970's) , chicken and waffles ( early 1900's) is not really a fad anymore as they are now everywhere.

But I get what you are saying. Hollowood will do anything to make money regardless of how stupid the movie or TV is. You get a bunch of media TV outlets to promote it, like the normal ones, Entertainment Tonight, TMZ, Insider etc..and people will for some darn reason will pay money to watch it.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
FYI, A fad = an intense and widely shared enthusiasm for something, especially one that is short-lived and without basis in the object's qualities; the fad of bagels, ( started in the US in the early 1900's) frozen yogurt (1970's) , chicken and waffles ( early 1900's) is not really a fad anymore as they are now everywhere.

But I get what you are saying. Hollowood will do anything to make money regardless of how stupid the movie or TV is. You get a bunch of media TV outlets to promote it, like the normal ones, Entertainment Tonight, TMZ, Insider etc..and people will for some darn reason will pay money to watch it.
By me 98% of all those places went out of business. So yes, they were a fad around here. A fad doesn't mean they have to decline to 0. People still hoola-hoop.

I'll repeat Ozzy, or whoever may have written this quote, " the media sells it, and you live the roll." Absolutely ture.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis