Safe digital volume control level

gus_patino

gus_patino

Audioholic Intern
I was trying to figure out what would be the volume control limit on the HK 990. I have the PSB T6 speakers which are rated 20-200 watts. The HK 990 is 300 watts.
Do you recommend the limit to be -0dB... lower... higher?
Thanks

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
You don't need any volume control. That 200 watt rating is RMS and you will never ever be pushing that many watts RMS in a home setting, unless you're purposefully trying to blow your speakers with test tones. I have two amps, an AVR, and assorted small electronics connected to my APC S15 and even during taxing movie scenes at -5 I'm never above 350 watts give or take about 20 with all that stuff plugged in.

gus_patino

gus_patino

Audioholic Intern
You don't need any volume control. That 200 watt rating is RMS and you will never ever be pushing that many watts RMS in a home setting, unless you're purposefully trying to blow your speakers with test tones. I have two amps, an AVR, and assorted small electronics connected to my APC S15 and even during taxing movie scenes at -5 I'm never above 350 watts give or take about 20 with all that stuff plugged in.
What I meant by volume control was if it is safe for me to turn up the volume above 0 dB or another dB when listening to music, considering my speakers and the amplifier.
So in case there is a party or I get too excited listening to music, I know that I shouldn't be going above the 0, 5, or whatever dB that the amplifier screen shows.
Thanks

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Turn it up as high as you want. The only issue you may run into at 0 or above is if you run into a big peak or something like that. Even at full blast, if your AVR is only driving 2 channel you shouldn't run out of gas. I wouldn't recommend leaving it up there for hours on end, but for shorter periods of time having it up high shouldn't do any harm to anything at all. Especially if you've run room correction so 0 represents reference levels. If you're driving more than two channels with the AVR at that volume, clipping may come sooner, but I'm run my onkyo 3009 at full tilt for a few songs two channel and it barely broke a sweat.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis