K

kyle bermingham

Enthusiast
I have a Sony SACD player that is about seven years old. It seems to work well, but I only have a handful of SACDs that I play on it. I recently purchased The Who (Tommy) and The Doors (The Doors) in SACD that were described as hybrid.

The problem I am having is my player does not recognize their 5.1 format. When I put in Steely Dan, it reads "Hybrid" and also, in a different place "5.1"; it will play it in either 5- or 2-channel. My two recent purchases play in only 2-channel, and when the cd/sacd button is pressed, the screen reads "not hybrid."

Are SACD players kind of like Bluray in that only the recent models will read/decode the newest movies (or require an update)? Is there possibly another issue?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

All of my components are hooked up to my Marantz AV 7701.

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum, Kyle!

What is the model number for your Sony SACD player? I'd like to take a look at that and see if anything stands out to me. I'm not aware of SACD software being updated and requiring new firmware, but maybe it does. I know on my player, I have to select in the menu (before playing a disc) if I want to play the CD layer or the SACD layer - but from your description, you have a button that does the same thing.

K

kyle bermingham

Enthusiast
Thanks Adam.

The model is SCD-CE595. I am also wondering if from where bought the CDs may be an issue (ImportCD.com). The only thing I can come up with is my Sony SACD player is too old to play the newest version of SACD, or the discs themselves are actually not Super Audio . . .

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
There is no "newest" version of SACD. If the disc says DSD or SACD on it or the packaging,it is an SACD.

How do you have it connecte? For this player, the ONLY way to get SACD is via the analog outs, which means using the multichannel analog outs if you want 5.1 sound. You cannot get DSD over SPDIF (optical).

K

kyle bermingham

Enthusiast
Right, I connect it analog. The problem is that the player does not recognize the multi-channels--just two channel, not the connections.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
"Hybrid" in this sense means the disc contains the standard redbook two channel program along with a SACD version, which may or may not be. Do you have any other 5.1 sacd's or are these the first.

K

kyle bermingham

Enthusiast
Mark, I have others. I tested my first batch of SACDs, which are about seven years old as well. With the ones that are hybrid, the player reads "hybrid"; with the ones that are only 5-channel, my player will read "multi-channel," and only play in 5-channel.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Those two are both definitley listed as m/c hybrid on SC-CD.NET so it is likely there is an issue with the player recognizing these discs correctly. I don't have either of those, so I can't tell you much more about the discs, but I used to have a Sony SCD-222ES which I believe was out around the same times as that one, possibly even the ES version of the same player. If you do have a button on the remote to switch between tracks, does it cycle to each (CD -> stereo -> m/c)? There should also be a setup menu that allows you to choose the default track type. Sounds like you may have it setup correctly already, since other discs work, but I'd still check those things to see if they make any difference.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I too have had a similar problem. My Sony DVP-S9000ES will not recognize the SACD stereo layer on hybrid discs after the player has warmed up.That's to say, I can play a disc's stereo SACD layer then remove the disc from the player and insert another or the same disc but will only get CD output. I have been told I need a new laser head and have one coming. I hope it solves the issue as I am very pleased with the DVP-S9000ES.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis