SACD Problem? Receiver (Derict? Straight? Stereo?)

bizmord

bizmord

Full Audioholic
Hi guys...

So I popped my first SACD into my SACD Sony player that I connected to my Denon 4311 via cables (not HDMI) and I see that on the CD player I can pick what sound I want ... 5.1, stereo, etc ... however ... my receiver doesn't seem to show that it's affected by what CD player is outputting.

Should the receiver be set to Pure? Straight? Standard?

what am I doing wrong?

thanks

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi. With the multichannel analog inputs, I don't think that the Denon will show any difference. However, you should certainly hear a difference between a stereo source and a multichannel source.

A couple of questions because you didn't specify:
1. Did you connect the 5.1 analog outputs, or the stereo analog outputs?
2. Are you playing an SACD that has both a stereo layer and a multichannel layer?

bizmord

bizmord

Full Audioholic
Hi. With the multichannel analog inputs, I don't think that the Denon will show any difference. However, you should certainly hear a difference between a stereo source and a multichannel source.

A couple of questions because you didn't specify:
1. Did you connect the 5.1 analog outputs, or the stereo analog outputs?
2. Are you playing an SACD that has both a stereo layer and a multichannel layer?

Thanks for reply.

1) I think i have it connected as standard 2 channel
2) CD is recorded in both 5.1 and 2ch.

i am assuming I need cables :) what cables do you recommend>
thanks

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for reply.

1) I think i have it connected as standard 2 channel
2) CD is recorded in both 5.1 and 2ch.

i am assuming I need cables :) what cables do you recommend>
thanks
Just curious, why wouldn't you just use HDMI?

bizmord

bizmord

Full Audioholic
Just curious, why wouldn't you just use HDMI?
I think it's an older SACD player and it doesn't have HDMI. Also, for audio stuff, i don't think HDMI cables would do a better job.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Yep, no HDMI.

To state the obvious :), if you only have two channels connected...then it's only going to play two channels. If you want to listen to multichannel SACDs in multichannel, you need to connect the 5.1 analog outputs on your SACD player to the multichannel analog inputs on your Denon. Any RCA cables will work.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I think it's an older SACD player and it doesn't have HDMI. Also, for audio stuff, i don't think HDMI cables would do a better job.
Okay then you have no choice especially if you want to listen to the multichannel layer. For two channel, it is highly unlikely that one can hear the difference between the SACD and the regular CD layer though. I have a few universal players and BR players that have multi channel analog out but I must admit I have never bother trying them out even though I have enough analog cables. I just don't think it is worth the effort. People claimed they hear better quality sound but I think that's just Placebo but that's just me.:D Actually I did compare the analogs on my Denon 3910 and the Oppo 95 and 105 with HDMI and Denon link but only in 2 channel. Definitely prefer HDMI and Denon Link, same sound quality but must less work. Again, that's just me..:D

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
... For two channel, it is highly unlikely that one can hear the difference between the SACD and the regular CD layer though. ...
That would be true if they were both from the same mastering. However, there is pretty much no reason to believe that they must be, and so one might well have a definite preference. In fact, the maker of the disc could put a completely different recording on the different layers if they wanted to.

I do, however, agree with your idea that the CD format is not going to audibly degrade the sound:

Boston Audio Society - ABX Testing article

BAS Experiment Explanation page - Oct 2007

But, again, they can put different masterings on the different layers, and so one may well hear a difference between the SACD layer and the CD layer, just the same as one may well hear a difference between a CD and a different mastering of the same music on another CD.

bizmord

bizmord

Full Audioholic
Yep, no HDMI.

To state the obvious :), if you only have two channels connected...then it's only going to play two channels. If you want to listen to multichannel SACDs in multichannel, you need to connect the 5.1 analog outputs on your SACD player to the multichannel analog inputs on your Denon. Any RCA cables will work.

Any chance you can give me a link for a cable that would work for me in this situation? Don't mean to be a pain in the a**, just want to make sure I am getting the right stuff to make it work.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Any chance you can give me a link for a cable that would work for me in this situation? Don't mean to be a pain in the a**, just want to make sure I am getting the right stuff to make it work.
These should do.

J/K! :D You don't have to spend anywhere near that much. Check out Monoprice.com for cables to get a sense for pricing. These here are some of the more expensive ones. Seriously, just about any RCA cable will do. They sell them at a lot of different stores.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
He really expressed it well already:

... Any RCA cables will work.
You don't need anything special. Wires are not magical devices, and ordinary cheap ones from an electronics store are fine. Paying extra makes you poorer and con artists richer. That is the main difference between cheap and expensive ones.

bizmord

bizmord

Full Audioholic
These should do.

J/K! :D You don't have to spend anywhere near that much. Check out Monoprice.com for cables to get a sense for pricing. These here are some of the more expensive ones. Seriously, just about any RCA cable will do. They sell them at a lot of different stores.
wait, but this is what I use now ... or are you saying that to do 5.1 I now need to use 3 of these ... (front, surround and center?)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
To do 5.1, you need six total connections (5 plus one for the .1). The jacks are clearly labeled on the back of your SACD player.

So, yes...three stereo cables (two connectors on each end) or six mono cables (one connector on each end).

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
That would be true if they were both from the same mastering.
That's exactly what I referred to.

In fact, the maker of the disc could put a completely different recording on the different layers if they wanted to.
In such cases all bets are off. The CD layer could (not that it would) even sound better than the SACD layer but who would done such a thing.:D

I do, however, agree with your idea that the CD format is not going to audibly degrade the sound:
Yes it would, placebobly.:D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
got it. Thank you. :)
You can use cheap cables, perhaps not the cheapest ones that come with most CD players but try to keep them short though,1 to 2 meters will be great. The shorter the better, and make sue they grip tightly. The good thing about the cheap ones is that you can bend them in with your fingers.:D I had to do it with my cheap 3.5mm jack to RCA conversion when trying to hook up my iPod to my preamp.

bizmord

bizmord

Full Audioholic
I know where the plugs would go on the SACD player ... but on my 4311, where would these connect to?

x033AV4311C-b.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
bizmord

bizmord

Full Audioholic
So, turns out I already got the Monster cable hooked in. Problem is I only had the 2 front L&R connected to CD input.

Now, thanks to you guys, I changed and plugged all 3 cables into correct 5.1 "Ext In".

Only problem is .... what input should I change to on the receiver??? :) I don't see any "Ext In" on my remote.

thanks. can't wait to hear the sound

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Only problem is .... what input should I change to on the receiver??? :) I don't see any "Ext In" on my remote.
Check out page 84 of the Denon owner's manual. You need to set the Input Mode to "EXT. IN" for whatever source you want to use for the SACD player.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis