SACD/DVD-A & tweeters

S

socialxray

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I am looking to buy some speakers but they have soft dome tweeters. &nbsp;Will this in any way limit the effectiveness of high resolution formats? &nbsp;What frequency extention should a speaker have if it will used to play back high res formats? &nbsp;How do soft domes and metal tweeters compare when it comes to high res formats? &nbsp;Is one prefered over another? &nbsp;How much does this even matter?</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Metal domes are more difficult to execute properly because they tend to resonate more severely and at a lower frequency than their soft-dome counterparts. In lesser designs, this can manifest as an audible peak or &quot;ringing&quot; in the top octave. It's a lot easier--and cheaper--to make a soft dome sound good, and that's why less expensive speakers tend to use soft domes.

While most cost-no-object speakers use metal domes, there are exceptions. Because the metal dome resonance can never be completely eliminated, some designers prefer to use soft domes instead. Huge generalization: metal domes sound more detailed but can sound harsh; soft domes sound smoother, softer, less detailed.

None of this should matter particularly to you, whether you're into high res formats or 8-track tapes ;-)  Choosing a speaker based solely on the type of tweeter it employs is pointless. There are too many other variables. As far as frequency extension goes, different speaker manufacturers measure it in different ways, so it's sort of like comparing apples and oranges. Most high quality modern speakers have usable output to at least 20kHz on-axis. If treble reproduction particularly concerns you, the best thing is to listen carefully to the speakers you're considering, using program material you're familiar with.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I have a DVD Audio player and depending on the extent of my misunderstanding, it puts out sound up to either 40 something KHz or somewhere between 80 and 90 KHz. My speakers are Axiom made Michaura M665s up front, M66s on the sides and an Axiom made Merak MC6H center. I also have 2 subs (Velodyne CHT100 and Klipsch LF10).

The Michauras and Merak use a .75&quot; Titanium tweeter.

I ended up getting the Radio Shack supertweeter (pretty flat out to 40 KHz) and an Outlaw ICBM-1 bass manager with stereo output for subwoofers.

IMHO this system sounds terrific.

Although we can't hear frequencies over 20KHz and most can't hear that, some wise men say that speakers which can reproduce the hidden dimension (over 20KHz) make the music sound fuller.

Although low frequency sound is fairly nondirectional, stereo subs sure sound smooth and rich.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Coupla questions for 2x6:

I'm intrigued by your use of both Klipsch and Velodyne subs--two very different designs. Was that a conscious decision or did it just work out that way? Had you started with just one or what? How are they connected?</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis