Rythmik Audio LV12R Subwoofer Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Rythmik Audio is a forum favorite that has built a solid reputation for offering high performance, high value subwoofers. Their entry level LV12R subwoofer appears to be no exception to this: priced at $599 (shipping included to the continental US), it sports a 12" paper cone woofer motivated by a 300W RMS amplifier. Of course like all Rythmik subwoofers, the LV12R also includes the company's patented Direct Servo technology which claims to reduce distortion and compression effects.

Read the Rythmik Audio LV12R Subwoofer Preview

Do you think this sub has what it takes to be king of the hill in the under $1k category? Let us know.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Will you be putting this sub through a full review?

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Do you think this sub has what it takes to be king of the hill in the under $1k category? Let us know.
Definitely under $600, but there are subs with better cabinets, cast drivers, more amplifier power, etc. between $600-$1,000.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I'll reserve judgmernt until its tested by 3rd party analyisis. A nice sub for the money to be sure but its still only a 12"....likely better suited for those looking to make their inital foray into real sub domain vs. the usual B&M brands.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'll reserve judgmernt until its tested by 3rd party analyisis. A nice sub for the money to be sure but its still only a 12"....likely better suited for those looking to make their inital foray into real sub domain vs. the usual B&M brands.
That market is the majority vs those of us with more hefty subs, plus Rythmik offers plenty of 15" options too :)

G

GIEGAR

Full Audioholic
Will you be putting this sub through a full review?
I'd love to see this tested by ricci :D
Yes! :D

Perhaps Audioholics/Josh Ricci can organise a shootout between "the usual suspects" in the <$1K 12" ported/15" sealed range. Along with the Rythmik LV12R, say:

SVS | PB-2000 - 12" Ported Subwoofer

Hsu Research | VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer

Power Sound Audio | XS15se Home Audio Powered Subwoofer

Outlaw Audio | LFM-1 EX Subwoofeer (already tested)

Reaction Audio | BPS 215 Powered Subwoofer

^ This would capture the bulk of subs most commonly recommended on the forums in this price bracket.

Others of interest:

Amazon.com: Velodyne Wi-Q 12 Inch Wireless Subwoofer

Amazon.com: Crystal Acoustics TX-12SUB THX Ultra2 Certified 12" Subwoofer

Amazon.com: Mordaunt-Short Aviano 9 Powered Subwoofer in Black

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
The <$1000.00 sub range...IMO opinion have been exhausted in plenty of GTG over the past several years...I would even conclude that subs exceeding the 1k mark have also reached ad-nauseam levels...do a quick search & see.
It is largely belived that increasing your budget incrementally will deliver you a better more powerful sub...I personally don't think you'll get a great sub at the entry levels even with all those ID companies mentioned above...adequate certainly but not anything we've not seen or heard before...JMO.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
The <$1000.00 sub range...IMO opinion have been exhausted in plenty of GTG over the past several years...I would even conclude that subs exceeding the 1k mark have also reached ad-nauseam levels...do a quick search & see.
It is largely belived that increasing your budget incrementally will deliver you a better more powerful sub...I personally don't think you'll get a great sub at the entry levels even with all those ID companies mentioned above...adequate certainly but not anything we've not seen or heard before...JMO.
Wow. That's a very jaded view. If one looks back 5 to 10 years back, you couldn't get a sub for the price of today's entry level sub that could even reach 20 Hz, let alone hit 20 Hz at 100+ db. One certainly couldn't get the bass articulation either of today's entry level subs.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Wow. That's a very jaded view. If one looks back 5 to 10 years back, you couldn't get a sub for the price of today's entry level sub that could even reach 20 Hz, let alone hit 20 Hz at 100+ db. One certainly couldn't get the bass articulation either of today's entry level subs.
I don't know if the situation was all that bad 5-10 years ago. In October of 2004, Ed Mullen reviewed the SVS PB10-ISD, which set a pretty high bar for what a $429 subwoofer should do. Meanwhile over in Europe, Ilkka tested the Hsu VTF 3.3 and SVS PB12-NSD (July, 2007), both of which were capable of meeting or exceeding 100dB at 20Hz. There was actually a Rythmik DIY sub at that same test which also turned in impressive performance.

Edit: Ed also reviewed the Hsu STF-2 in 2004 as well, which is still a solid option in its price class.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't know if the situation was all that bad 5-10 years ago. In October of 2004, Ed Mullen reviewed the SVS PB10-ISD, which set a pretty high bar for what a $429 subwoofer should do. Meanwhile over in Europe, Ilkka tested the Hsu VTF 3.3 and SVS PB12-NSD (July, 2007), both of which were capable of meeting or exceeding 100dB at 20Hz. There was actually a Rythmik DIY sub at that same test which also turned in impressive performance.

Edit: Ed also reviewed the Hsu STF-2 in 2004 as well, which is still a solid option in its price class.

Thank you for the corrections. However raw output is not enough. I wonder how these older subs would compare from a sound quality perspective to today's entry level subs. I still stand by my opinion about the view of entry level subs, especially 12" is very jaded when it comes to performance.

Last edited:
K

kini

Full Audioholic
Yes! :D

Perhaps Audioholics/Josh Ricci can organise a shootout between "the usual suspects" in the <$1K 12" ported/15" sealed range. Along with the Rythmik LV12R, say:

SVS | PB-2000 - 12" Ported Subwoofer

Hsu Research | VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer

Power Sound Audio | XS15se Home Audio Powered Subwoofer

Outlaw Audio | LFM-1 EX Subwoofeer (already tested)

Reaction Audio | BPS 215 Powered Subwoofer

^ This would capture the bulk of subs most commonly recommended on the forums in this price bracket.

Others of interest:

Amazon.com: Velodyne Wi-Q 12 Inch Wireless Subwoofer

Amazon.com: Crystal Acoustics TX-12SUB THX Ultra2 Certified 12" Subwoofer

Amazon.com: Mordaunt-Short Aviano 9 Powered Subwoofer in Black
Should change the XS to the XV15SE

And the BPS215 to the PV15X

And ad the HSU VTF15

That way they are all ported subs under $1K

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Hey...I can only speak about my personal experiences...my opinion may appear jaded in some sense but in the case of conducting a trivial sub shootout <1k...I would say not much has really evolved in the last 10 years to really distinguish them apart from the rest. Just simple physics apply...you cant tell me the LV12R would play louder, deeper & cleaner pitted against the PSA XV15SE, for that matter the Hsu VFT15H. The preview makes claims of King of the Hill status <1k...I would start with either of those 2...others... also come to mind that have already been mention in this thread....I'd vote for ahead of it...just my 2 cents.

Fwiw...going on a few years since I've sold my pb10nsd...at the time of purchase I thought it was the most articulate sub I've heard. Simpy based on auditory memory it sounded as good as any subs I've heard or owned to date within its limits...of course. The only downfall as I saw it, was size limitations only being a 10" & my desire for more. The reality for me is I don't have the necessary room for dual subs and why I sought changes.

As was pointed out the by Steve the ISD version set the bar pretty high...it was later replaced by the NSD...but in terms of SQ...I don't believe anything of great significance changed...IIRC...the NSD was designed in house(Svs) and why the change.But I could be wrong.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey...I can only speak about my personal experiences...my opinion may appear jaded in some sense but in the case of conducting a trivial sub shootout <1k...I would say not much has really evolved in the last 10 years to really distinguish them apart from the rest. Just simple physics apply...you cant tell me the LV12R would play louder, deeper & cleaner pitted against the PSA XV15SE, for that matter the Hsu VFT15H. The preview makes claims of King of the Hill status <1k...I would start with either of those 2...others... also come to mind that have already been mention in this thread....I'd vote for ahead of it...just my 2 cents.
I understand your point and having gone past that for your personal needs. However, dismissing their value because you have gone past that point isn't valid for those entering the market or are limited by budget.

Fwiw...going on a few years since I've sold my pb10nsd...at the time of purchase I thought it was the most articulate sub I've heard. Simpy based on auditory memory it sounded as good as any subs I've heard or owned to date within its limits...of course. The only downfall as I saw it, was size limitations only being a 10" & my desire for more. The reality for me is I don't have the necessary room for dual subs and why I sought changes.
Size of room also dictates the size required and in my case, a bigger sub will not give me any benefits over what I own now. I can easily over power my speakers with my sub in the room that its in now, hit 20 Hz with authority and then endure the wrath of angry wife. :eek:

Last edited:
J

jvgillow

Full Audioholic
I ordered one of the LV12R a couple weeks ago for my "budget" living room 2.1 system. Large open space, wanted something that could give more extension and output than my old TSC 10" sub. I've been very happy with the Rythmik F15s in my dedicated HT setup and decided to stick with the brand, despite the large number of competitors in this space. The LV12R is not obnoxiously large or heavy, has the servo amp feature with adjustable damping, and offered a matte vinyl finish (not interested in fake oak). As far as comparisons go, <$600 is quite different from <$1k. I've bought and sold quite a few subwoofers in the last 10 years, and at this point in the game I'm looking for a product with decent value that is made by a company that hopefully won't be shut down or bankrupt before the warranty expires...

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
Just started a thread in the deals section but it seems this sub can be had for 569 right not... The site says it costs 599 till you add it to your cart at which point it drops to 569... and the shipping is free..

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I watched the last Indiana Jones flick over the past weekend on DVD and listened to the THX demo. I don't recall hearing the deep bass throb in that demo before. Every old DVD/BluRay I play is new again because of the sub. I now realize how much good bass I missed.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis