RX-V861 Problems Troubleshooting

C

clokesta

Audiophyte
Hello all,

I am new to this forum site and this is my first post. I purchased my receiver around 3 years ago and now I am having a serious issue. It will automatically switch to pure direct intermittantly. I mean to say that after it has warmed up (approx 10-15mins) it will switch on and off pure direct every few seconds. (it is like a ghost is pushing the pure direct button on and off) This effectively makes my receiver useless. Any ideas on how I may fix this issue, or resources on how to fix it? I am an electronics technican in the US Navy and am not affraid of a component level repair but am in need of guidance. I thought about disconnecting the switch from the pcb (since I never use pure direct) but was wondering your thoughts on the matter. Thank you in advance for your help in this matter.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello all,

I am new to this forum site and this is my first post. I purchased my receiver around 3 years ago and now I am having a serious issue. It will automatically switch to pure direct intermittantly. I mean to say that after it has warmed up (approx 10-15mins) it will switch on and off pure direct every few seconds. (it is like a ghost is pushing the pure direct button on and off) This effectively makes my receiver useless. Any ideas on how I may fix this issue, or resources on how to fix it? I am an electronics technican in the US Navy and am not affraid of a component level repair but am in need of guidance. I thought about disconnecting the switch from the pcb (since I never use pure direct) but was wondering your thoughts on the matter. Thank you in advance for your help in this matter.
I very much doubt removing the switch will do it.

Usually the switch just changes the state of a pin in a chip. The ICs can have a variety of switching mechanisms in the IC, such as a flip fop, or Darlington pair among others.

Unfortunately modern circuit boards, are almost impossible to trouble shoot and repair, due to very close spaced robotically placed surface mount components.

The best that can usually be done is to isolate the fault to a board and replace the board. Even to get that far you will need a service manual and sophisticated test gear.

Unfortunately these sorts of faults usually cost more to sort out than buying a new receiver.

Obviously some component has gone out of spec either in or out of the IC, that is making the switch circuit unstable and causing it to oscillate.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis