T

tony

Enthusiast
I listen to my music LOUD even up to +7db. What do I need to upgrade to prevent clipping. yamaha 1500 and polk rti8's

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I will list the one I use. But, it did not make my system any louder. Just cleaner at high volumes. I can't take it much above 0. Now, or before I got the amp. And I like it LOUD, and I have the system in a LARGE living/kitchen area with an open beam ceiling(no attic).

http://www.adcom.com/newproducts/gfa7605.htm

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Wow! You DO like it loud.

Here's some info. (I don't know your specs but here's some general stuff to work with)

You could increase the power to the speakers.

For a barely audiable 3db increase in loudness, you will need to double the power. i.e. If you now have 100 watts, you need 200 watts for a measley 3db increase in loudness. A 6 db increase would require 400 watts, a 9 db increase needs 800 watts, etc, etc.

Another alternative is more sensitive speakers.

If your current speakers have a sensitivity rateing of 87db and you drive them to a certain loudness with 100 watts, a speaker with a 90db rating would be able to reach that same loudness with 50 watts. Likewise, a speaker with a sensitivity rating of 93 db would only require 25 watts for the same level, a rating of 96 db would need 12.5 watts, etc, etc..

You seriously might want to explore Klipsch or other high efficiency speakers.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
I really wasn't clear with my reply. No, my amp does not help make anything louder. It does however reach the same volume levels with more ease than my 1500. More importantly I just feel a little better about beating the snot out of a $250 amp than I do a $600 reciever.
The Onkyo I listed is in no way the best amp out there. I just threw it there as a place to start looking.
This amp does do a pretty respectable job considering it's price tag though.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis