RX A2030 keeps shutting down

U

uaeproz

Junior Audioholic
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and would need all possible opinion and help. My receiver keeps shutting down when I increase the volume level to +1 or higher volume.

I have soavo-1 towers. Even at 2ch, it does the same. The cables are Monster Cables and connected properly. I checked the connections several times and I'm sure positively it is not a connection problem.

Please help!

Thanks,

Abdulla

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
If you're the "crank it to eleven" sort, and from this limited information it seems you are, you really need more sensitive speakers, more powerful amps, or both. And big honkin' subs that can keep pace. As it is you're overtaxing your AVR and sending it into thermal protection mode.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Then don't turn it up that high? Likely the connection isn't the problem, it is that you are placing too much demand on the receiver. They are not super sensitive at 89dB and 6 Ohm, which could be too much for that receiver. Yes it says 140W, but that's usually optimistic when it comes to an AVR, but those speakers full range might tax most receivers. If you need more output, looks like you'll be buying an amp for the mains at least.

Monster Cable is always a problem :) That's one of those companies you should never give your money to.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and would need all possible opinion and help. My receiver keeps shutting down when I increase the volume level to +1 or higher volume.

I have soavo-1 towers. Even at 2ch, it does the same. The cables are Monster Cables and connected properly. I checked the connections several times and I'm sure positively it is not a connection problem.

Please help!

Thanks,

Abdulla
Are the cables teminated with some form of lug or jack or are they just bare wire?

U

uaeproz

Junior Audioholic
Then don't turn it up that high? Likely the connection isn't the problem, it is that you are placing too much demand on the receiver. They are not super sensitive at 89dB and 6 Ohm, which could be too much for that receiver. Yes it says 140W, but that's usually optimistic when it comes to an AVR, but those speakers full range might tax most receivers. If you need more output, looks like you'll be buying an amp for the mains at least.

Monster Cable is always a problem :) That's one of those companies you should never give your money to.
Thanks for the advice. Which amp do you recommend?

U

uaeproz

Junior Audioholic
If you're the "crank it to eleven" sort, and from this limited information it seems you are, you really need more sensitive speakers, more powerful amps, or both. And big honkin' subs that can keep pace. As it is you're overtaxing your AVR and sending it into thermal protection mode.
Which amp do you recommend?

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Which amp do you recommend?
Depends. System choice/setup should be done systematically and starts with your ears and works backwards from there. Amp power is dictated by several factors: speaker sensitivity, speaker power handling limits, how loud you wish to listen, distance to speakers, how your room influences things, etc.

If the AVR has pre-outs, you could add an external amp to get a few more decibels out. The problem with that is that your speakers may be having thermal compression and other issues from being flogged with so much power. Most consumer type speakers start to go to crap if pushed louder than 95 db or so, and it only gets worse from there as you try and go louder. So consider your speakers power handling limits if you go that way. Good, clean watts are cheap these days, but that doesn't mean it's the proper solution to your current dilemma.

A helpful tool go give you a ballpark estimate of the sort of power you will need:

Peak SPL Calculator

Be conservative with the data you put into the calculator, i.e. reduce manufacturer provided sensitivity specs as they almost always exaggerate.

It could be that in order to achieve the spl levels you desire requires speakers with wider dynamic range than your current speakers can deliver, even with copious amounts of power. If your analysis of what's going on indicates that, it's time for more sensitive speakers. Or learn to enjoy listening at lower levels.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
How hot is the receiver when it shuts down? :D

Ventilation?

The speaker is supposed to be 89dB/2.83v/m, so not too low sensitivity.

Have you ever hooked up a sub and use 2.1 mode XO @ 80 or 100Hz to see if it still shuts down?

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
My receiver keeps shutting down when I increase the volume level to +1 or higher volume... I have soavo-1 towers. Even at 2ch, it does the same.
Hi Abdulla,
+1 on the receiver is pretty loud!

Have you run the YPAO auto-calibration on the 2030?
Also, what is the use of these speakers that needs you drive them to +1 on the receiver? House party mode?

An external amp may or may not solve your problem. If you add an amp and try to drive the speakers super loud for a house party, you may end up damaging the speakers.

If you tell us the intended use of the speakers, we may be able to suggest the correct remedy to your situation.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes it says 140W, but that's usually optimistic when it comes to an AVR,
I have seen many lab measurements of D&M and Yamaha AVRs and I believe their specified two channel output ratings are actually quite conservative more often than not. Here's one for the RX-A2010, the 2020 and 2030 will certainly be comparable.

Review: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2010 A/V Receiver Page 3 | Sound & Vision
STEREO PERFORMANCE, DIGITAL INPUT
Reference level is –20 dBFS; all level trims at zero. Volume setting for reference level was –3.
Output at clipping (1 kHz, 8/4 ohms, both channels driven): 161/255 W (22.1 /24.1 dBW)
Distortion at reference level: 0.02%

Obviouisly if the OP pushes more than 2 Soava-1 towers to deafening SPL (volume at +1 could be at such level if the source input signal is high enough) then he needs a higher end AVR or add external amps.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Does the AVR have adequate free-air clearance...
Yamaha recommends 6" clearance for the L/R sides and top cover. Also do not stack any component on top of the AVR, blockage of the L/R sides and/or top cover can trigger its thermal portection circuit...
Besides reducing it reliability significantly...

Just my $0.05... ;)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have seen many lab measurements of D&M and Yamaha AVRs and I believe their specified two channel output ratings are actually quite conservative more often than not. Here's one for the RX-A2010, the 2020 and 2030 will certainly be comparable.

Review: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2010 A/V Receiver Page 3 | Sound & Vision
STEREO PERFORMANCE, DIGITAL INPUT
Reference level is –20 dBFS; all level trims at zero. Volume setting for reference level was –3.
Output at clipping (1 kHz, 8/4 ohms, both channels driven): 161/255 W (22.1 /24.1 dBW)
Distortion at reference level: 0.02%

Obviouisly if the OP pushes more than 2 Soava-1 towers to deafening SPL (volume at +1 could be at such level if the source input signal is high enough) then he needs a higher end AVR or add external amps.
Yamaha does tend to rate theirs properly and does seem to deliver adequate power, though that rating is at 1kHz not 20-20K. I don't disagree, but I'd still imagine that speaker is a bit much for an AVR played full range.

U

uaeproz

Junior Audioholic
Yamaha authorized dealer sent their tech guys to check my problem. They started checked the wiring first, then they checked the settings.

Then they started to increase volume slowly. The receiver started to shut down at -11. They tried many things, at the end the guy came to conclusion that they will replace my receiver with a new one. They will come and install the new replacement themselves

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Yamaha authorized dealer sent their tech guys to check my problem. They started checked the wiring first, then they checked the settings.

Then they started to increase volume slowly. The receiver started to shut down at -11. They tried many things, at the end the guy came to conclusion that they will replace my receiver with a new one. They will come and install the new replacement themselves
Yamaha's stellar customer support shows up again. :)

Y

Yamaheart

Full Audioholic

Hi UAEPROZ, I was reading ur post and see that you got Yamaha Tech Support came to your place to check out ur problem. Where are you located at? I have this weird problem with my Yamaha RX-A3030, the post can be seen here http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/amps-pre-pros-receivers/91111-urgent-help-my-yamaha-rx-a3030-sound-will-not-play-thru-audio-1-4-input.html

I wonder if I contact them about my problem and if they will show up. I never heard about that before. Thanks..

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis