Rt Lt Ctr Front Speakers Selector Switch Question

D

Dave Iannelli

Audiophyte
Anyone setup a single switch that will change between 2 sets of left, right, and Ctr speakers?
New to this forum and didn't see any posts this specific.
If anything this may stir up some interesting conversations
I have both Projector and a TV setup in the same room and connected to a Yamaha 3020 Home Theater Receiver. The TV and projector screen are in slightly different locations and need to have their own set of front surround speakers to project correctly. The front surrounds consist of a center channel, and both right and left presence speakers. The Projector Screen is Centered in the room and the TV is to the right and lower. I know I can do this using 2 separate speaker selector switches with Right and left inputs and 2 selectable outputs (Zones) but it would be nicer to change the right, left, and ctr channels using a single switch. (I don't think it would be a problem to leave one set of the sterio outputs open on one of the selectors).
The Yamaha 3020 has the ability to save 2 user configurations for Home Theater Speaker optimization and with the ability to switch the front surround speakers and locations I would use one setting for the projector location and one for the TV. The room could now be optimized for both TV and Projector.
With no place to put one set of front channel speakers that would work for both locations I need to switch them. I attached a layout PDF to show the setup.

Attachments

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Its one of the biggest and still decades on where to place these home centre speakers since the older CRT was big and large in depth yet still even with flat screens we're all stuck with where LCR should be placed.

I use like others do matched LCR. I'm not faced with colour issues no more with a flat screen as the magnets don't have serious colour defects with LCD tv's.

No matter how flat they make them if they're not perforated or acoustically transparent sound can't pass though it.

I have my LCR within 2" above the LG flat screen on a stage and sheet I can drop down once in a while for the video projector and the height the LCR are just about right for the projected image.

I would make a stage placed above your speakers or change the current ones to smaller PA types 12" 15" with HF horns are compact and can produce enough loudness.

The other alternates is to have switcher box I had one before many years ago, Tandy Realistic 4 speaker switcher.

This one on ebay might be of advantage for your present needs. You'll need x2 of them as they only have stereo inputs you'll need one for stereo left - right with multiple pairs and another for centre for multiple pairs only need to use one channel for the centre and have 2 of the same centre channel in different locations.

"AV Link 4 Way Hifi Speaker Selector Switcher Essex".

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I prefer Russound for speaker selectors. They even make a model that will switch between two different amps as well as speakers, they make models with autoformers to protect against impedance mismatches, and models with VC's as well to help with level matching.

D

Dave Iannelli

Audiophyte
Thanks Folks,
I picked up a simple Russound AB-2.2 from a local electronics store, (only had 1 in stock), I plan on getting a second one. I was hoping there was a single switch that would allow for the three input channels (LRC) to switch outputs between 2 LRC speaker locations. I think I could use a switch with 2 AMP inputs and 4 Spkr outputs (4 Zones) like the Russound SDB-2.1 which has 2 source inputs and 4 outputs. (1 set of amp inputs for the L&R presence speakers and only one of the 2nd AMP inputs for the Ctr channel), The switch allows you to select either the A or B amp input that you want to output to any of the 4 zones. I would need to select Amp A for L&R Spkrs in Zone 1 + Amp B for CTR channel in Zone 2 for the TV location or Amp A for L&R Spkrs in Zone 3 + Amp B for CTR channel in Zone 4 for the Projector location. I would never output to all 4 zones at the same time and if I did by accident would it cause a problem with the AMP?
Hope this makes sense, Could still use any suggestions for a more fool proof switch with maybe protection to prevent me from accidently using all 6 speakers at once. Using 2 of the Russound AB-2.2 seems to be the easier and more fool proof method available that I can find.
All 6 speakers are 8 Ohm with similar specifications, I wouldn’t need volume control since the surround receiver controls volume.
This sounds like a switch worth designing that is specific for switching surround venues.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
You should have gotten the SDB 4.1.

L/R into amp A L/R
Center into amp B left or right doesn't matter which.

First pair of L/R into Speaker 1 ---- set to "on" and amp A
Center to Speaker 2 ------set to "on" and amp B

Second pair of L/R into Speaker 3 ----- set to "off" and amp A
Second Center into Speaker 4 ----- set to "off" and amp B

Then all you would have to do is turn 1 and 2 to "off" and 3 and 4 to "on" (and vice versa) in order to switch back and forth. Plus you have volume control on the unit for level matching.

Are all the speakers identical? Are they all in exactly the same location? No to one or both? Then you do need the volume control on the unit to help level match between the two setups. The AVR will only level match the 3 speakers you have connected when you run the autocal. Then you have to manually switch to the other 3 speakers and take an SPL meter and use the volume control on the unit to level match the other other 3 speakers as closely as possible.

D

Dave Iannelli

Audiophyte
Thanks fuzz092888, That would work, didn't look close enough when I was looking at the spec for the 2.1 on the Russound site and it shows the back of a SDB-6.2 with 2 Amp inputs and 6 zones, got confused thanks for pointing it out before I bought the wrong one.
I still may make a custom switch and If I do I will post the Schematic and parts list
Thanks

D

Dave Iannelli

Audiophyte
Was told by an Electrical Engineer that I could use the Russound A-B switch 2.2 hooked up as follows.
Positive leads for Lt, Ctr, Rt output channels from receiver into Russound’s input source L+, L-, R+, terminals (allows AB switching + speaker leads)
Russound Zone “A” output L+, L-, R+ terminals connected to Lt+, Ctr+, Rt+ Zone “A” Speakers,
Russound Zone “B” output L+, L-, R+ terminals connected to Lt+, Ctr+, Rt+ Zone “B” Speakers,
Negative Speaker leads connected as follows
Zone “A” - Left Neg speaker- connected to Zone “B” Left Neg Speaker and returned to Receiver Left Neg speaker output
Zone “A” - Center Neg speaker- connected to Zone “B” Center Neg Speaker and returned to Receiver Center Neg speaker output
Zone “A” - Right Neg speaker- connected to Zone “B” Right Neg Speaker and returned to Receiver Right Neg speaker output
Russound terminals R- source, R- Zone “A”, R- Zone “B” (Not Used)
Not sure how the Russound is wired internally and I will check it with a meter to see if negative terminals are isolated before trying it out.
Anyone see any issues with this wiring?

Attachments

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis