Rotel RB1090...any opinions!

P

pearsall001

Full Audioholic
I've been looking into adding a 2 channel amp to my system. The "To die amp for me is a Mac MC402" but due to budget restraints at the moment it's on the back burner for a bit longer. I can pick up a new Rotel RB1090 (380x2)from my local dealer for a great price (only 5 left) in their inventory because Rotel has discontinued them. Any thoughts or experience with this amp? I'm running a pair of AAD 2001 monitors (86sens/8ohm) & they do crave power. I can also pick up a Classe CA210 for a few hundred more but it's a 200x2 which is about half the power of the Rotel. Any thoughts?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I've been looking into adding a 2 channel amp to my system. The "To die amp for me is a Mac MC402" but due to budget restraints at the moment it's on the back burner for a bit longer. I can pick up a new Rotel RB1090 (380x2)from my local dealer for a great price (only 5 left) in their inventory because Rotel has discontinued them. Any thoughts or experience with this amp? I'm running a pair of AAD 2001 monitors (86sens/8ohm) & they do crave power. I can also pick up a Classe CA210 for a few hundred more but it's a 200x2 which is about half the power of the Rotel. Any thoughts?
Between those two, I'd suggest the Rotel. Clearly, way more power.:D

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
my only thought: it doesn't have a trigger option.
you have to manually turn it on and off.
but it's ultra cool looking.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The Rotel should run relatively cool when not being driven, so the trigger option may not be necessary depending on the user's discretion.

The Rotel is twice the amplifier as the Classe', if not more. If you buy the Classe' you are really just buying the "higher end" name. The Classe' has an input power of only 240 watts, which I find slightly disturbing. The power rating for 8 ohms is 100 watts 1%THD @ 1Khz, 4 ohms 200 watts 1%THD @ 1Khz. 1Khz ratings are usually a tad optimistic, it seems like the Classe' may have some *dead weight even though it weighs about half what the Rotel does. Rotel is not known to have much in the way of *dead weight.

*(by dead weight I mean added weight that doesn't affect the performance of the amplifier)

dorokusai

dorokusai

Full Audioholic
I would choose the Rotel. Don't get wrapped up in the "to die for amp" idea as it RARELY is and you'll end up in the same situation eventually. You should have fun and play with as much gear as possible, especially if you can barter a solid deal. Good luck.

Mark
Polk Audio CS

P

pearsall001

Full Audioholic
The Rotel should run relatively cool when not being driven, so the trigger option may not be necessary depending on the user's discretion.

The Rotel is twice the amplifier as the Classe', if not more. If you buy the Classe' you are really just buying the "higher end" name. The Classe' has an input power of only 240 watts, which I find slightly disturbing. The power rating for 8 ohms is 100 watts 1%THD @ 1Khz, 4 ohms 200 watts 1%THD @ 1Khz. 1Khz ratings are usually a tad optimistic, it seems like the Classe' may have some *dead weight even though it weighs about half what the Rotel does. Rotel is not known to have much in the way of *dead weight.

*(by dead weight I mean added weight that doesn't affect the performance of the amplifier)
Seth=LL, where did you find those specs for the Classe CA120 amp? On the Classe web site here's what they have: 8ohm load/200w - 4ohm load/400w & weighing in at 60lb. Perhaps you had the wrong model#. But anyway I'd have to give it a listen to hear for myself how well it performs.

My biggest concern is having enough power & high current to handle my AAD 2001 monitors (86db sens/8ohm). I had a very good 2 channel amp before (Van Alstine OmegaStar 440EX) that just couldn't handle them without clipping on certain music passages. And I'm not talking very outrageous db's here either.

I'm just leary of another 200w amp. I'm all ears on a learning lesson on how different amps work & how the Classe might jusy fit he bill even at it's 200w rating into 8ohm.

But for now it looks like the Rotel might be the one.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Seth=LL, where did you find those specs for the Classe CA120 amp? On the Classe web site here's what they have: 8ohm load/200w - 4ohm load/400w & weighing in at 60lb. Perhaps you had the wrong model#. But anyway I'd have to give it a listen to hear for myself how well it performs.

My biggest concern is having enough power & high current to handle my AAD 2001 monitors (86db sens/8ohm). I had a very good 2 channel amp before (Van Alstine OmegaStar 440EX) that just couldn't handle them without clipping on certain music passages. And I'm not talking very outrageous db's here either.

I'm just leary of another 200w amp. I'm all ears on a learning lesson on how different amps work & how the Classe might jusy fit he bill even at it's 200w rating into 8ohm.

But for now it looks like the Rotel might be the one.
I was looking at the successing model. The successing model is a tad smaller (by a margin of 5 pounds).

I was unable to find the exact model.

You can be certain the Rotel can drive those speakers to insane levels of output.:)

(it also helps if you give the correct model #. If you say they have specs for the unit you are looking at on Classe's site, then neither of the model numbers you have given exist; CA210 was the first one you gave, and CA120 is what you gave in the above post. There is a CA101 and a CA201 in the discontinued section and in the new section there is a CA2100)

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Assuming you are one of those who are gifted to have the ability to hear the subtle (to others) differences between well made amps such as your 440EX, the RB1090 and the MC402 that you really want to get, you should go for the MC402 and be done with it. On the other hand unless your 440EX is defective, it is hard to imagine the AAD2001monitors could cause the amp to clip before they get damaged themselves. Those speakers can no doubt handle 300W easily, but its continuous power handling capability would be much lower. A well made 200WPC amp should only clip at >200W level on continuous basis. For short duration, it should not clip even at much higher output level. I am just wondering if you weren't pushing the speakers too hard with your 200WPC amp.

Just an aside, if and when you are ready to spend over $5K on the MC402, you may want to consider investing on speakers instead. I think the difference between a $6K/pair speakers and a $2.5K/pair AAD will be much more audible than the difference between the Rotel RB1090 and the MC402 (if that's audible at all to an average person). Amps are nice, they have buttons to play with and meters to watch, but in the end the speakers likely contribute more in terms of audible differences.

P

pearsall001

Full Audioholic
I was looking at the successing model. The successing model is a tad smaller (by a margin of 5 pounds).

I was unable to find the exact model.

You can be certain the Rotel can drive those speakers to insane levels of output.:)

(it also helps if you give the correct model #. If you say they have specs for the unit you are looking at on Classe's site, then neither of the model numbers you have given exist; CA210 was the first one you gave, and CA120 is what you gave in the above post. There is a CA101 and a CA201 in the discontinued section and in the new section there is a CA2100)
My bad Seth & sorry for the confusion. I was typing fast because the wife was waiting for me to go out. Any way I posted the Classe link from their discontinued models. Again sorry for the confusion.http://www.classeaudio.com/discontinued/power-amplifiers.htm

It sounds like a fine amp but I still have my concerns at only 200w.

P

pearsall001

Full Audioholic
Assuming you are one of those who are gifted to have the ability to hear the subtle (to others) differences between well made amps such as your 440EX, the RB1090 and the MC402 that you really want to get, you should go for the MC402 and be done with it. On the other hand unless your 440EX is defective, it is hard to imagine the AAD2001monitors could cause the amp to clip before they get damaged themselves. Those speakers can no doubt handle 300W easily, but its continuous power handling capability would be much lower. A well made 200WPC amp should only clip at >200W level on continuous basis. For short duration, it should not clip even at much higher output level. I am just wondering if you weren't pushing the speakers too hard with your 200WPC amp.

Just an aside, if and when you are ready to spend over $5K on the MC402, you may want to consider investing on speakers instead. I think the difference between a $6K/pair speakers and a $2.5K/pair AAD will be much more audible than the difference between the Rotel RB1090 and the MC402 (if that's audible at all to an average person). Amps are nice, they have buttons to play with and meters to watch, but in the end the speakers likely contribute more in terms of audible differences.
You're right, speakers make the most audible difference in your system. With that being said, I auditioned many speakers (monitors & floorstanders) at price points well & I mean well above the AAD 2001 monitor's price tag. Even after owning them for a tad over 2yrs now & having listened to other speakers in that same time frame, again well over the AAD's price point...I still am enjoying the AAD's. Nothing has moved me enough to make a change. Maybe someday but not any time soon.

I'm just looking for a good amp to do them justice. Simple as that.

I've yet to get my ears on a pair of Maggie's though...I hear they're pretty darn good. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis