Room treatments / where to begin?

P

pearsall001

Full Audioholic
I've heard so much lately that room treatments should be considered as a piece of gear. Apparently it is that important. I personally have never given it much thought. Maybe it's time I take a serious look at it. Where in the world does one begin? It's not that I think my room sounds bad, actually it's pretty good, but I'm sure it can be improved. I'm in a finished basement on concrete, the room is 13x32 / the 1st 16ft are on a raised wooden floor w/ carpet. This is where my set up is. The other 16ft. are tiled. The whole room is open, no dividing wall. Walls are paneled w/ 1/2" real wood paneling over styrofoam insulation on cinder block walls. Where'a a good place to start? any suggestions?

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Room treatments

Reading the AH articles on room treatments is a good start.
http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/roomacoustics/index.php

The raised floor, carpet, and styrofoam were benefical to the basement, but I suspect that the wood panneling provides a highly reflective surface. There are a couple directions you can go with room treatments. The first is wall hangings, drapes, couches and other furniture that provide absortion and deflection of sound with a high WAF. The second is acoustic pannels and bass traps designed specifically for room treatment. You can make it an inexpensive DIY project, or buy premade pannels or foam from companies like real-traps. The room acoustics and DIY sections of the forum are a good place to post more specific questions.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis