Room too big for Klipsch bookshelf speakers?

D

dmulvi5

Audiophyte
My neighbor has a pair of barely used Klipsch R-14M bookshelf speakers that he is trying to get rid of. The room I would use them in is 26 ft x 22 ft with 8 ft ceilings. It is a fairly closed off room. The product description says they are ideal for small to medium size rooms, however, I am not sure exactly how their room size is defined.

I would be using them for occasionally playing music and occasional tv surround sound so don't need anything extravagent. Just looking for a low cost upgrade from what I currently have (which is nothing). Obviously don't want to buy something that would not produce enough sound for my room.

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If you don't listen to stuff at loud volumes, the Klipsch will do fine. If you like to rock out from time to time, you might want to save up for something more powerful. They will not have a lot of bass capability either way.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
A bookshelf is fine, but that's a smaller model and I think it will struggle to give you any decent bass in a room that size. Of course it is better than nothing, but I'd step up to something a tad larger or plan on adding a small sub. Those with a sub would be fine.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How would you plan to use these just for surround? What receiver/speakers are you going to use them with?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Virtually any speaker with 4” woofers will need low-end enhancement from a subwoofer in any room.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
My cousin has a pair of those same R-14M speakers as surrounds in his 5.1 system. He has replaced the R-24F mains with a pair of PSB Imagine T, and can't wait to have enough saved (after the holidays) to replace the R-14M's and R-25C center. They're a bit....well let's just say "somewhat bright."

And not much in the way of bass comes out of them. I agree with Wayne, a subwoofer of even modest capability would be needed for most music and any cinema duty.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
My neighbor has a pair of barely used Klipsch R-14M bookshelf speakers that he is trying to get rid of. The room I would use them in is 26 ft x 22 ft with 8 ft ceilings. It is a fairly closed off room. The product description says they are ideal for small to medium size rooms, however, I am not sure exactly how their room size is defined.

I would be using them for occasionally playing music and occasional tv surround sound so don't need anything extravagent. Just looking for a low cost upgrade from what I currently have (which is nothing). Obviously don't want to buy something that would not produce enough sound for my room.

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks
How well they might work depends on where the speakers will be located and where you'll be. If they're on one end of the long dimension and you'll be at the other end, they'll sound weak and you'll need to increase the volume in order to hear them at a usable level, with the added problem of being excessively loud for anyone between you and the speakers. Then, there's the issue of not much bass unless you place them in a corner where three planes meet (two walls and a ceiling or floor). While three planes helps the bass, it usually kills the center, so a dedicated center channel speaker will be needed but it still doesn't help the people between you and the speakers. At that distance, you'll also hear the reflections from the room a lot more than you would if you were closer since the direct and reflected sound will be reaching you at the same time.

If you will be seated at one end of the room with a surround system that's in the same half of the room, they could work as long as the crossover is set correctly and you use a subwoofer that's set up to provide a seamless transition to the Klipsch. It would be much better than little Bose-type speakers, at any rate. If they actually do well in the mid-bass range, it could work pretty well. I have been pleasantly surprised by speakers that only had 3" drivers and a tweeter when they were designed as a system, so this might work.

D

dmulvi5

Audiophyte
Thanks for the input.

Went with the following which has worked quite well so far for my room/needs:

2 Klipsch R-14M Bookshelf speakers (bought slightly used)
Pioneer SW-8MK2 Sub (bought new)
Yamaha R-S202BL Receiver (bought new)

Total cost of $280 which I thought was reasonable

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Sounds like a fine system, I think you will enjoy it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis