Roku or Samsung Net TV?

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
I finally got around to messing with some of the internet TV features available on my Samsung Plasma and recently signed up for a trial on Netflix.

Quality seems okay, but I notice the audio from the TV is a little compressed as compared to Blu Ray. Am I right to assume that Netflix streams the same quality to other devices, such as the Roku?

Does the Roku 3 have any advantages that might compel me to shell out an extra 100 bucks?

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I finally got around to messing with some of the internet TV features available on my Samsung Plasma and recently signed up for a trial on Netflix.

Quality seems okay, but I notice the audio from the TV is a little compressed as compared to Blu Ray. Am I right to assume that Netflix streams the same quality to other devices, such as the Roku?

Does the Roku 3 have any advantages that might compel me to shell out an extra 100 bucks?
Have you checked the settings on the TV to see if audio compression is enabled? Some devices have an audio compression feature, and I find they sometimes default to being enabled.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Quality seems okay, but I notice the audio from the TV is a little compressed as compared to Blu Ray.
Hi. The audio from Netflix is compressed compared to the audio on a blu-ray, no question.

My audio sounds off sometimes, but I completely believe that's due to some error in my receiver's ability to process the Dolby Digital Plus stream that Netflix uses. I don't know if that might also be something that you're experiencing.

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
Have you checked the settings on the TV to see if audio compression is enabled? Some devices have an audio compression feature, and I find they sometimes default to being enabled.
Checked settings and everything seems in order.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
Update:

Over Xmas, I used the Cineplex movie app. Streaming seemed to suck in the evening, but I think I can attribute it to general download speeds, which were sometimes down to 2mb/s in my region. Suggestions?

Though I was charged for it, one movie was inexplicably unwatchable due to a "technical playback error 550". Try as I might, I couldn't resolve it before the 48 hr window expired. And cineplex customer telephone support was AWOL.

So far, internet movie streaming experience has been a mixed bag.

OTOH, online chat with netflix support was fast, friendly, and fruitful. It was revealed that the Netflix app for my samsung tv is only 720p ... and no Dolby 5.1.

Roku 3, it is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I know netflix adjusts the quality of stream depends on quality of your internet connection and it would never be as good as blurau.
Most likely the issue is not with your TV. That said Netlfix would stream surround DoblyDigital+ only to very few devices you TV is likely not be on the short list

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
Here are a couple links that describe which devices and the compatibility of those devices with regards to Netflix in case others come to this thread. I hope this helps.

https://support.netflix.com/en/node/8731

https://support.netflix.com/en/node/2250

https://support.netflix.com/en/node/517

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Netflix_compatible_devices
One of those links came up during my chat with netflix. My Samsung is a PN63C8000. In those charts, it shows that the app was limited from the start and Samsung has found no urge to upgrade it.

I purchased a Roku 3 before NYE. Netflix is now 1080p, and 5.1; and rarely was there a blip in the video. It's possible netflix was adjusting bandwidth on the fly, but I never noticed.

As a side note, is Netflix, Vevo, and YouTube the only apps worth watching? I was kind of disappointed with the rest. I should add this is the Canuck version.

I was also hoping for a PPV of the latest releases, but there doesn't seem to be an app available. At least, not for Roku directly.

brabus

brabus

Audioholic Intern
One of those links came up during my chat with netflix. My Samsung is a PN63C8000. In those charts, it shows that the app was limited from the start and Samsung has found no urge to upgrade it.

I purchased a Roku 3 before NYE. Netflix is now 1080p, and 5.1; and rarely was there a blip in the video. It's possible netflix was adjusting bandwidth on the fly, but I never noticed.

As a side note, is Netflix, Vevo, and YouTube the only apps worth watching? I was kind of disappointed with the rest. I should add this is the Canuck version.

I was also hoping for a PPV of the latest releases, but there doesn't seem to be an app available. At least, not for Roku directly.

Google's chromecast, for only $35, is a pretty good deal for Netflix, HBO GO etc. It does 1080p Netflix with a 5Mbps+ connection. On my Panny TC-P65VT60 I can display an info overlay while streaming Netflix that tells me what resolution the stream is currently running at. I've noticed that when a stream starts, it usually starts at 360 or 480SD, then gradually climbs over the next 30 seconds or so to the titles' max resolution. Occasionally if there's a hiccup in the network it may drop down momentarily from max res, but typically recovers quickly.

I'm not sure what apps the Roku has, until I purchased SmartTV's, I had a dedicated HTPC and a server rack housing multiple file servers in my basement. On the panasonics that I have I mainly use Netflix, YouTube, DLNA w/Wild Media Server, and Amazon Prime (purchased it for the free shipping for my business). Amazon Prime streaming is ok, it pretty much has the same stuff as Netflix, though you can purchase current seasons of various shows as well as rent and buy movies etc.

I still use my HTPC for some rooms which offers a lot of flexibility along with SmartTV's and internet enabled/DLNA players in other rooms.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis