Rob vs Buyers Remorse

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#000000'>I've got a real dilemna here; my HT system is based on a Denon AVR-3802, and while I really like it, I'm a bit tired of it's lack of digital inputs (c'mon, 1 coax &amp; 3 toslink on a $1200 unit!?). &nbsp;Therefore I'd like to get an '03 or maybe even a 4802R.

There's the problem, though- the '04 (or whatever they decide to call it) will be out in a few months. &nbsp;Do I stand pat or buy a new unit, knowing full well it'll be replaced in 4 months? &nbsp;

If I move now, I have a unique situation where I can upgrade and get most of my money out of my current receiver (!). &nbsp;By waiting I'll get more 'features', but might not be able to unload mine.

Any guesses as to what the new ones will add? &nbsp;Certainly PLIIx, maybe more inputs. &nbsp;It's hard to imagine what more they could cram into the 3803, but they'll find something, I'm sure.

As for the 4802R, that designation has made me feel like it's an interim peice right from the beginning. &nbsp;At that price, buyers remorse could be worse. &nbsp;For $2k, will it have a DVI or Firewire input? &nbsp;It's really hard to guess what you'll get in a 4804.

The question isn't new, of course. &nbsp;Recievers are almost obsolete by the time they hit the store shelf nowadays. &nbsp;Just curious what the future will hold.

BTW, I won't consider anything but a Denon...</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>Rob;

Since your receiver is not a current model anways, I don't see why you would get such a lower value for it in a few months as opposed to selling it now. &nbsp;I would at least place it for sale now and try to get a high offer for it. &nbsp;Don't be desperate and don't settle on the first low ball offer. &nbsp;By the time you sell it for the price you want, you will be that much closer to the new model releases. &nbsp;Even if you have to pain through having no receiver for a month or two, it is a small sacrifice to pay. &nbsp;Of course I don't always practice what I preach since I always have spare equipment around to tide me over till the new stuff arrives.

I would personally wait till the next generation models start coming out, especially since you seem to be the type of guy that likes to have the latest stuff. &nbsp;Who doesn't?

Not sure if I helped you or not &nbsp;
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
G

<font color='#000000'>I too am considering a Denon 3803. Does anybody know when their new models come out? Any thoughts on comparison to Marantz 7400?
Thanks</font>

P

PaulF

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Rob,

I agree with Gene, you have little to lose at this point waiting a few months.</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#000000'>Basically it's that the person I'd deal it to may get something else if I don't upgrade soon. &nbsp;And it would be a good deal for both of us.

I wish I knew what the new models will be like. &nbsp;Again, they'll have new stuff, but the main reason for a new line is to put out new &quot;product&quot;. &nbsp;Just like cars, reciever buyers tend to stay current. &nbsp;Will an '04 actually serve me and better or just scratch my itch for new gear? &nbsp;The '03 has every feature that I know I want, but how many features will that add that I don't even know I want yet?

Ah, such is the endless struggle of a gearhead on a budget...</font>

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
<font color='#000000'>Hey Rob,

I always have set my expectations in the things I buy or earn a cut above what I can really get or achieve. &nbsp;The point is I don't see anything wrong with not being on cutting edge. &nbsp;I am however happy with I can get.

This is a dilemma that my friend faced, he knew the 1400 was available, didn't care to wait for a year for the price to be at the point where the 1300s were (Ie $450+)

He knew there were improved features, but couldn't wait/afford em.

~Bob</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#000000'>I'm not really worried about not being cutting edge; the main thing I want to do is step up to more coaxial digital inputs. &nbsp;Also, the Alpha 24 feature would be nice, as would the video-synch &amp; 0.5 dB volume steps. &nbsp;

Mostly I'm running out of inputs, and the '03 has several more. &nbsp;This is mainly d/t having several videogame consoles to hook up alongside several other digital components.</font>

D

dlorde

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Rob Babcock : the main thing I want to do is step up to more coaxial digital inputs.
Mostly I'm running out of inputs, and the '03 has several more.  This is mainly d/t having several videogame consoles to hook up alongside several other digital components.
If lack of input connectors is the main problem, why not just get an input switch that'll allow you to switch multiple sources into a single input - this will save money, give you time to figure out what you really want, and by then, the '04 (or whatever they decide to call it)  may even have dropped in price...
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#000000'>I really don't want to cobble my rig together with cheapo switchers. &nbsp;Most of don't run by remote, either. &nbsp;Zektor makes some really good ones, especially for switching component vid, but they cost almost half what a new reciever would!</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis