Ripping and burning audition CD?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I am a complete novice at this (burned a few discs about 4-5 years ago, but not enough to reemember details).
I am compiling a CD for speaker auditions and, on playback the CD player stops playing midway through the second song and you can hear the mechanism "beating its head against the wall over and over:p" as it tries to continue. During this time, the counter increments in 2 seconds intervals (while it takes about 10 secs for each increment), but no sound.
I am using a Dell E6420 laptop with CDRW
Ripped as WAV so assume that is burn format.
Used WPL format, not M3U (default).
Used "fastest" for burn speed (default).

I put the cd back in the laptop and the list of tracks is correct, but it does the same thing - plays the first two songs, but everything past that appears corrupt.

I remember there were blank "CDs for music", but I think these were for use in CD recorder decks, right?

Ideas for troubleshooting?

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Set it to slowest for burn speed. That's Adam advice. My advice would be to install Vista.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
ImgBurn. I agree with Alex's Adam advice of using the slowest burning speed. It's also been my experience that some manufacturers' blank disks work better in some CD players than others, but I couldn't tell you what sucks and what works great. I tend to buy my blank media on Black Friday and stock up for the year, getting whatever brand happens to come in a spindle of 100 for ten bucks. Sometimes it's Maxell or Imation, but more often it's store brand / cheap generic.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I loaded Vista and now my laptop crashes before I can even open Windows Media Player.:(

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
When you assembled that disc, did you just assemble the Wavs as a data file or compile a proper Red Book CD.

If you make a copy of a whole CD, then it will usually copy the files and the cue file and keep it to Red Book.

If you rip tracks and assemble the Wav files you have a data disc that most players will not play.

You have to properly master a CD and most programs do not have the facility to professionally master a CD to Red Book.

Do you have a program that would allow you to send me the Wav. files for each track? If you do, then I can master you a Red Book CD.

I don't think I have ever mastered a CD with my rig that has not played for the person I mastered it for. If you can get me the Wavs, then I would be happy to do it for you.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I've been buying my blank optical media for years since I discovered one Japanese oem -
taiyo yuden. Probably the most reliable blank media i ever used.
Imgburn or cdburnerxp for software.
Like tls said, to make cd playable in regular cd player, you don't write files, but instead you need to burn the cd in redbook compatible cd-audio format.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for all of the comments and ideas!

And thanks to Dr. Mark for being so kind as to offer his services!

The suggestion derived from Adam and Alex's intercourse of going slow (and gentle) did the trick and was the path of least resistance for my immediate needs.

Will definitely revisit this thread when/if I start burning with any regularity.

I foolishly thought Microsoft would set up their program to default to reliability!

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
To The extremely reliable and trustworthy guys from fix your pc late night commercials

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
ImgBurn. I agree with Alex's Adam advice of using the slowest burning speed. It's also been my experience that some manufacturers' blank disks work better in some CD players than others, but I couldn't tell you what sucks and what works great. I tend to buy my blank media on Black Friday and stock up for the year, getting whatever brand happens to come in a spindle of 100 for ten bucks. Sometimes it's Maxell or Imation, but more often it's store brand / cheap generic.
+1

Slow burn speed tends to be more reliable, in my experience.

Yes, the disc is important! I stick with Maxell if I can, maybe Toshiba or JVC if I must.

Whatever you do, steer clear of Memorex CDRs etc! The junkiest, least durable, and least likely to play in my experience. I don't care for the Sony discs either.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis