Ripped Subwoofer Foam + Questions

J

Jesse Runyon

Audiophyte
Hey guys, i'm new to this forum. I just had two 10 inch JL subs enclosed installed in my car. I got them off my friend for free, he had them sitting in his garage for awhile. 3 days after I got them installed I noticed the foam on the right sub started to rip.

1. How do i figure out the exact model of the sub?
2. What could have caused the foam to rip if it wasn't from sound?
3. Opinions on getting a foam repair kit?

I can't post any pictures due to post count.

Thanks everyone!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
If you know the speaker, then it is easy to instal a new surround. Foam fails often with age. You could also take careful measurements to order the correct surrounds.

You will need the surround, speaker glue, and new dust cap and shims to center the voice coil.

You will also need alcohol or acetone and razor blades to remove the old glue. If you use care your speakers will be good as new.

J

Jesse Runyon

Audiophyte
If you know the speaker, then it is easy to instal a new surround. Foam fails often with age. You could also take careful measurements to order the correct surrounds.

You will need the surround, speaker glue, and new dust cap and shims to center the voice coil.

You will also need alcohol or acetone and razor blades to remove the old glue. If you use care your speakers will be good as new.
Thank you for the quick reply. On my JL speakers it doesn't look like there is a dust cap to me. Do you think the model number would be on the back on the speaker just to make sure I order a foam kit specified for that model? If so, is there a link you could provide me showing someone removing the speaker from the enclosure? It looks like it just has screws holding it in. Thanks!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thank you for the quick reply. On my JL speakers it doesn't look like there is a dust cap to me. Do you think the model number would be on the back on the speaker just to make sure I order a foam kit specified for that model? If so, is there a link you could provide me showing someone removing the speaker from the enclosure? It looks like it just has screws holding it in. Thanks!
Drivers are almost always screwed in. The model number is likely on the back of the driver. If the driver truly has no dust cap it makes refoaming problematic. You have to hope the suspension is strong enough to keep the VC centered and be very careful to glue the foam back without stress. Even minimal contact of the voice coil and pole of the magnet will make the driver sound awful.

Normally you cut out the dust cap to place shims, and keep them there until the glue cures and then glue on a new dust cap.

J

Jesse Runyon

Audiophyte
Drivers are almost always screwed in. The model number is likely on the back of the driver. If the driver truly has no dust cap it makes refoaming problematic. You have to hope the suspension is strong enough to keep the VC centered and be very careful to glue the foam back without stress. Even minimal contact of the voice coil and pole of the magnet will make the driver sound awful.

Normally you cut out the dust cap to place shims, and keep them there until the glue cures and then glue on a new dust cap.
I watched a few videos of people replacing JL foam. It looks extremely easy to repair after you clean up the old foam bits. Also, in the videos, the cone would stay centered. How would I go about unhooking the speakers from the box once I unscrewed them and popped them out of the hole?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I watched a few videos of people replacing JL foam. It looks extremely easy to repair after you clean up the old foam bits. Also, in the videos, the cone would stay centered. How would I go about unhooking the speakers from the box once I unscrewed them and popped them out of the hole?
They probably have press on spade connectors.

J

Jesse Runyon

Audiophyte
They probably have press on spade connectors.
Do you think you can show me an accurate guide towards them? Sorry for all this, I appreciate it though.

Edit: Think I might have found something. It doesn't matter which end is male or female, but it works like an outlet, correct?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Do you think you can show me an accurate guide towards them? Sorry for all this, I appreciate it though.

Edit: Think I might have found something. It doesn't matter which end is male or female, but it works like an outlet, correct?
Not all speakers are the same. However when you get the speaker out, it will be obvious how it disconnects.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis