Right angle FEMALE extension cord

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
Afternoon all. so I just finished mounting our plasma in the bedroom and used the kit below to run the cables and power in the wall. My problem now is a need a FEMALE right angle extension cord so I can push the dresser under the TV flush with the wall. See the pics for the problem.

Remember I need a right angle FEMALE end - there are plenty of male ends.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00193QP92

Thanks.

Attachments

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
You’re probably out of luck. The only right-angle power plugs I’ve ever seen are the IEC320 type. If you’re desperate your best bet is to just cut a hole in the back panel of the dresser. No one will ever see it. They typically have 2-3 inches clearance between the panel and the back of the drawers.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Afternoon all. so I just finished mounting our plasma in the bedroom and used the kit below to run the cables and power in the wall. My problem now is a need a FEMALE right angle extension cord so I can push the dresser under the TV flush with the wall. See the pics for the problem.

Remember I need a right angle FEMALE end - there are plenty of male ends.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00193QP92

Thanks.
Consider replacing that recessed outlet box with a flush type, then you can do it

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Umm no, that would require a cable with TWO MALE ENDS. Can you spell “dangerous?”

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
While I am not an electrician, I am pretty sure that is against pretty much every building code there is...

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

While I am not an electrician, I am pretty sure that is against pretty much every building code there is...
Not building codes – they only apply to wiring inside the walls. But still a safety hazard.

You mean a standard outlet is dangerous?
I’m guessing you don’t understand how this particular system works.

If you look at the two wall plates shown at the Amazon link in the OP’s first post, you’ll see one with a recessed female plug (e.g. basically your standard wall plug), and another one with a recessed male inlet.

This kit allows you to install a wall plug up high on the wall behind a TV without the hassle of running cabling through the attic and dropping it inside the wall. You cut a hole in the wall behind the TV for the upper female plug, and a hole at the bottom of the wall for the male plug. A piece of standard Romex is dropped inside the wall to connect the two plugs.

So when it’s all finished you plug your TV into the upper plug. But there is no power because the lower plug “goes nowhere.” So – you plug a standard extension cord into an existing wall plug, and plug the female end into the lower male plug. Voila – your upper plug, and hence the TV, now has power.

Hopefully now you can see, if you switch out that lower plug to a standard (female) outlet, it will require a custom-made power cable with MALE plugs on BOTH ends to get power up to the TV.

Make sense?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Not building codes – they only apply to wiring inside the walls. But still a safety hazard.

I’m guessing you don’t understand how this particular system works.

If you look at the two wall plates shown at the Amazon link in the OP’s first post, you’ll see one with a recessed female plug (e.g. basically your standard wall plug), and another one with a recessed male inlet.

This kit allows you to install a wall plug up high on the wall behind a TV without the hassle of running cabling through the attic and dropping it inside the wall. You cut a hole in the wall behind the TV for the upper female plug, and a hole at the bottom of the wall for the male plug. A piece of standard Romex is dropped inside the wall to connect the two plugs.

So when it’s all finished you plug your TV into the upper plug. But there is no power because the lower plug “goes nowhere.” So – you plug a standard extension cord into an existing wall plug, and plug the female end into the lower male plug. Voila – your upper plug, and hence the TV, now has power.

Hopefully now you can see, if you switch out that lower plug to a standard (female) outlet, it will require a custom-made power cable with MALE plugs on BOTH ends to get power up to the TV.

Make sense?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Yes, thanks. I guess I missed the part about the right angle being female. Looking at the his two pictures
wasn't clear and didn't check his link.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
IMO I think the cord will bend and be fine. You may only lose an inch, since your base trim keeps the dresser out a bit anyway.
Cords are meant to be flexible since they're stranded copper and that one also has a nice strain relief.
It's not like it will be fatigued by bending it back and forth.
One bend and you're done.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis