Rhyme Acoustics NuScale 216 6.5" 2-way speaker pair

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
Jim,

I had my eye on that at one point, but after reading some of the DIYer's comments at PE's TechTalk, I stayed away, and I can't remember why. Might be worth doing some homework first...

Does look nice though, and the Fountek tweeter is supposed to be very good.

If you do try them out - be sure to share your thoughts!

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
Here's the thread I was thinking of:
Parts Express now carrying Fountek

Discussion about the NuScale starts about halfway down the page.

It's worth noting that the comments are based a bit on speculation as to what the Fountek woofer is (or is not) capable of... presumably based on typical limitations of a 6.5" aluminum cone.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Jim,

I had my eye on that at one point, but after reading some of the DIYer's comments at PE's TechTalk, I stayed away, and I can't remember why. Might be worth doing some homework first...

Does look nice though, and the Fountek tweeter is supposed to be very good.

If you do try them out - be sure to share your thoughts!
I confirmed the price - it is per pair

I have been doing some research - and I have been at Parts Express - also
there tends to be some bias at Parts Express.

I am doubtful at the moment, about it knocking off the Boston E60 - and
it is for sure not easy to knock off the Boston VS260.

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
I confirmed the price - it is per pair

I have been doing some research - and I have been at Parts Express - also
there tends to be some bias at Parts Express.

I am doubtful at the moment, about it knocking off the Boston E60 - and
it is for sure not easy to knock off the Boston VS260.
True, there is some bias there to DIY over commercial, as expected...

I sure do miss those VS260... In fact, if I go the DIY route in the future, one of my top choices is Jeff Bagby's Mandolin, which uses SB Acoustics tweeter and woofer that would look awful familiar to VS260 owners.

On a side note, I recently had the new M25's in home for a month, and have to say, they are a decided step down from the VS260 (also alot cheaper too, at retail that is). The tweeter is still good (yep Boston is still using a version of SB Acoustics dimple dome - although it looks to be what was used in the RS, not VS, line), but I think the woofer is the weak link, and IMO clearly inferior to what was used in the VS series.

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
On a side note, I recently had the new M25's in home for a month, and have to say, they are a decided step down from the VS260 (also alot cheaper too, at retail that is). The tweeter is still good (yep Boston is still using a version of SB Acoustics dimple dome), but I think the woofer is the weak link, and IMO clearly inferior to what was used in the VS series.
The bean counters at Boston are getting in the way - the E60 (which is better than the E40 you had) and the
VS260 have real good resolution. Yes that dimple tweeter is really nice, and rich in detail.

Just for the fun of it - I have been looking at this Yamaha speaker - yes really
YAMAHA NS-BP400PN Bookshelf Speakers Pair | Accessories4less

However, it looks like I will be busy this weekend with the prototype Murphy modded BS22.

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
The bean counters at Boston are getting in the way - the E60 (which is better than the E40 you had) and the
VS260 have real good resolution. Yes that dimple tweeter is really nice, and rich in detail.

Just for the fun of it - I have been looking at this Yamaha speaker - yes really
YAMAHA NS-BP400PN Bookshelf Speakers Pair | Accessories4less

However, it looks like I will be busy this weekend with the prototype Murphy modded BS22.
The E40's were good for what they were... just no real low end. I don't doubt the E60 is nice.

I'm looking forward to your impressions of Dennis' latest mod...

The Yamaha speakers could be fun... but I had to laugh at the marketing, especially this line - "The port on the back assists in bass dispersion – examine this port and you’ll see that this is a high-grade speaker." The bit about the VCCS "technology" is comical too.

Last edited by a moderator:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
The Yamaha speakers could be fun... but I had to laugh at the marketing, especially this line - "The port on the back assists in bass dispersion – examine this port and you’ll see that this is a high-grade speaker." The bit about the VCCS "technology" is comical too.
What can you say about marketing. :rolleyes:
Also, they never got the woofer size correct on the Cambridge S30.

Last edited by a moderator:
theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Interestingly, the 216 on Foundtek's website is active and looks completely different.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Interestingly, the 216 on Foundtek's website is active and looks completely different.
The one at Madisound, use to be on their website - they are not selling well, the reason for the good price.
The cabinets are heavy, 22 lbs each - they have good bracing inside with some damping material.

I am still looking at them - if there is a weakness, it could be the woofer.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis