RGB Cable over long distance

O

oohsam

Enthusiast
Hi all,
I need to run an RGB Cable from my amp to my plasma, through the wall. It will be about 20 metres long and was just wondering if this will be ok. Also, was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to get thsi cable in a 'mini' format so that it easy to run, but not sacrificing quality.

If anyone can help that would be great.

Regards

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Most cable manufacturers suggest that you should only use a mini-coax bundle for short distances, IE not 20 meters. For that, I would run 5 high-quality coax lines and terminate them as you please. I realize this isn't as easy as a mini, but it's the best solution.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
why 5 jaxvon? RGB is component right? = 3 cables?
is the other two for the plasma tv audio back to the receiver?

O

oohsam

Enthusiast
Yes, Why 5, I am somewhat confused....RGB is red green blue, if im wrong then I think i may just have to kill myself! LoL....

I am dreading how much this cable will cost me...

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
RGB/HV cable consists of 5 coax cables. Most often the cables are terminated with BNC plugs, but sometimes RCA plugs. RGB is basically another way to terminate a VGA cable. A picture is below:

Now, if you only need a three-coax cable, that is a "component video" cable, which again can be run as three separate coaxes or as a single bundle. Since you're making a pretty long run, I would recommend that you get a cable from Blue Jeans using broacast-quality Belden coax. Since 20m is about 65 feet, a run of Belden 7710A Cable terminated with RCA-jacks (basically three 1694A Coax cables in a rubber jacket) is $190.25 + S&H and a run of three independent 1694A Coaxes terminated with RCA-jacks is $123.00 + S&H.

http://bluejeanscable.com/store/component/index.htm

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis