RGB 6 or Cat 5 ethernet to send a/v 250 ft.

T

teacher607

Audiophyte
I am an English teacher turned video teacher. We are trying to set up a digital signage system and need to run audio and video feed approximately 250 feet from the tv studio to the cafeteria. I have two different vendors who suggest different cables. I am trying to discern which is the best way to go and what the pros and cons to each are.
One vendor suggests running Cat 5 ethernet and the other suggests RGB 6 cable. My understanding of the differences is that cat 5 will send files, not constant streaming video and so there should be no loss and it is cheaper than RGB6. RGB 6 will supposedly give me twice the resolution as cat 5. I am running 3 42in plasmas at the other end and most of my video will be mpeg 2 from Scala or straight video feed.
Do I need RGB 6? Are there drawbacks to cat 5? Do you know anyone who might be an expert in this area?

Thanks. It's tough to trust a salesman when you're not an expert in the field. :confused: :confused:

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
teacher607 said:
I am an English teacher turned video teacher. We are trying to set up a digital signage system and need to run audio and video feed approximately 250 feet from the tv studio to the cafeteria. I have two different vendors who suggest different cables. I am trying to discern which is the best way to go and what the pros and cons to each are.
One vendor suggests running Cat 5 ethernet and the other suggests RGB 6 cable. My understanding of the differences is that cat 5 will send files, not constant streaming video and so there should be no loss and it is cheaper than RGB6. RGB 6 will supposedly give me twice the resolution as cat 5. I am running 3 42in plasmas at the other end and most of my video will be mpeg 2 from Scala or straight video feed.
Do I need RGB 6? Are there drawbacks to cat 5? Do you know anyone who might be an expert in this area?

Thanks. It's tough to trust a salesman when you're not an expert in the field. :confused: :confused:

The best bet for you and for the distance is going the Cat 5 route. You never did say what type of video outputs you are using...s-video, component, DVI, HDMI....Give me some more info and I can tell you what you will need. And FYI it is called RG-6 not RGB 6. ;)

T

teacher607

Audiophyte
Well, at the cafeteria end, everything goes into a switcher and out one of two amps, one sends y/c (for vcr's, uhf, and dvd) and one sends RGBHV from a computer hook up in the cafeteria or from my tv studio signal. The cable that I was talking about was described to me as 6 bnc cables, one for red, one for blue, one for green, one for horizontal and one for vertical. I just checked my quote and it says RGB 6. I think that is different from RG 6. My concern is that the interference in lighting and other obstructions will interfere with the cat 5. My IT guy is concerned that if we spend $4000 on plasma tv's, we shouldn't skimp on wiring especially if it will compromise the signal. Does that help? Thanks.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
There are several ways to run video signals to plasma displays and it really is dependant on what your versatility needs are.

One of the most common, and tried and true ways is the first way you listed.

6 pieces of RG-6 cable are run. Or 7.

5 pieces carry Red, Green, Blue, Horizontal, and Vertical (RGBHV)
1 piece would carry standard composite video... or if there are 2 extra cables, it would be S-video. (hence, 6 or 7 pieces of RG-6)

The RG-6 may be bundled into a mini-hi-res cable but, at 250 feet, it is much more likely that full size RG-6 cable would be run, even if it is bundled RG-6, which it normally is, so cable runs are the same.

There are many things that are possible with running Cat-5. Cat-5 can be used to send RGBHV information to the plasma directly. Not data, but actual video. While I am not sure about the likelihood of interference issues, I do know that RG-6 is open to interference as well, so you aren't protected either way.

One of the newer ways to send video is to have local MPEG to video converters at each plasma. The MPEG file is sent, as a data stream (networked) to what basically is a small computer at each plasma, then a signal starts playback of the MPEG file. The output of these boxes can be a video loop, and may be capable of real-time video, but I haven't dealt with them much, so I really can't give full specs on how they work. I do know that this is often used in theaters & the like where digital signage is actually controlled from a central office in a different state and is just loaded via the corporate network.

You should also be considering what type of plasmas you are purchasing - as quite often people are looking for the cheapest plasma for the money, instead of a plasma that actually is appropriate for what they are going to be using it for.

Digital signage is typically a computer feed with video and may include text for others to read, so I wouldn't personally look for something under 1024x768 resolution in a 42" size. Preferably 1365x768 if possible. 853x480 is almost unusable for text playback on a screen and I have heard numerous complaints from customers who were sold low-resolution plasmas because it met their budget, instead of their needs.

Where are you located? There should be commercial A/V companies in your area that have done a lot of digital signage and are willing to sit down with you and go over your options for cabling, what separates pricing, and what options meet your needs. If you guys are paying and buying cabling + equipment + labor, then your budget matters a lot, and your expectations may far surpass your budget, which a good company will tell you about. Don't underestimate how much it will cost for what you want to achieve - most people do. Best Buy is not the place to price plasmas that are going to be used in a rigorous commercial setting... or even worse, a school. :)

Take a look at some of the products on www.extron.com for a good idea of one of the commercial gold standards in A/V distribution. You didn't talk about audio either... how's that going to be handled? What are you requirements?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis