REW Settings and System Set Up

R

Rylan

Audioholic
I just starting to read and learn how to use REW. I’m reading the AV Nirvana REW Step-by-Step Guide. The guide is a year old and I’m not sure if some things have changed or maybe don’t apply any longer, but I have a few questions with starting the set up.

I am using windows 11, and currently have the UMM-6 mic. (I have a UMIK-1 on order still)

1. Under the microphone properties/levels, it gives different setting for the microphone level depending upon what version of windows is running. They recommend getting the microphone gain close to zero. It says if the gain is too high, I could run into clipping in headroom issues during the measurement sweeps .
  • For Windows 8 it says to put the gain to 52%, which corresponds to a gain of 0dB.
  • For Windows 10 it says to put the gain to 81%, which corresponds to a gain of 9.9dB
  1. There are no updated numbers for windows 11 in the guide. Does anyone know what this setting should be set to for Windows 11?
img_7544-png.png

2. Under Audio Devices/Sound/AVR Configuration, it wants me to choose my speaker setup. I am currently running a 7.2.4 system. The AV Nirvana REW guide shows to select the 7.1 system, but in Windows 11 is does have the option to select Dolby Atmos. Which one do I want it set to for running my measurements sweeps?

3. On Windows 11 under Audio Devices/Sound HDMI output properties, some older versions have a tab called “Enhancements”. I heard it’s important to disable all enhancements so there are no issues with the audio signal. Mine doesn’t have this tab. Is there a place where I can disable these enhancements in Windows 11? Or is this no longer a feature in Windows 11?

4. On Windows 11 under Audio Devices/Sound HDMI output properties/Advanced , I was able to set the output on my AVR bit rate to 24-bit, 48000 Hz, but when I try to change the setting on my the microphone, the only option I have is to select, 16-bit, 48000 Hz. Do these numbers need to match? Should I change the AVRs setting to 16-bit 48000Hz? Or keep it to 24-bit 48000Hz? I’m assuming the sample rate on REW should also be set to 48kHz?

5. On page 26 of manual, it says to download the ASIO4ALL version: 2.15 Software http://asio4all.com/ Is this a driver I will want to download and will need for REW?

6. Should I run my REW calibration mic at a 90° angle? Or straight up?

Last edited:
D

dolynick

Audioholic
I can't speak to all of your questions, but some thoughts on a couple of them.

2. Under Audio Devices/Sound/AVR Configuration, it wants me to choose my speaker setup. I am currently running a 7.2.4 system. The AV Nirvana REW guide shows to select the 7.1 system, but in Windows 11 is does have the option to select Dolby Atmos. Which one do I want it set to for running my measurements sweeps?
I would pick the AVR entry in the device list. You will probably also have to run the "configure" menu on it and set it as a 7.1 system - by default it will be set as stereo.

4. On Windows 11 under Audio Devices/Sound HDMI output properties/Advanced , I was able to set the output on my AVR bit rate to 24-bit, 48000 Hz, but when I try to change the setting on my the microphone, the only option I have is to select, 16-bit, 48000 Hz. Do these numbers need to match? Should I change the AVRs setting to 16-bit 48000Hz? Or keep it to 24-bit 48000Hz? I’m assuming the sample rate on REW should also be set to 48kHz?
Your mic being 16 bit won't matter. In the end, you're measuring something in the analog output over air in the room. I would set my output in REW to match the output to the AVR setting (24b/48k).

There are no updated numbers for windows 11 in the guide. Does anyone know what this setting should be set to for Windows 11?
This is interesting and I've never seen this suggestion before.

I've only used it on Win10 and I just set it to 90 on the scale.

In the current version of REW, when you're setting up the measurements, you do a check levels before you start and adjust the mic level or the receiver volume as needed to hit your desired target (and headroom). It should let you know if you have sufficient headroom or not anyways. So I'm not sure if that precise mic level setting is really needed anymore or not.

R

Rylan

Audioholic
I appreciate the reply @dolynick. Before I reply to your comments, how do I respond in the way that you did where it shows my comment and then your answer below it? I tried hitting reply and look for a setting, but I’m just not sure how you do that?

D

dolynick

Audioholic
Highlight the section of text you want to quote, and use the "reply" button that appears at the corner of the selection.

R

Rylan

Audioholic
I would pick the AVR entry in the device list. You will probably also have to run the "configure" menu on it and set it as a 7.1 system - by default it will be set as stereo.
Before I had asked this question, I had already picked my AVR (Denon X4700H) in the device list and had clicked on the configuration. Once I hit configuration is where I saw the list of options which showed 7.1 but also had Dolby Atmos as an option. This is where I was trying to determine which option was best. Once I clicked “next” is where it gave me the option to select which speakers I have
Your mic being 16 bit won't matter. In the end, you're measuring something in the analog output over air in the room. I would set my output in REW to match the output to the AVR setting (24b/48k).
1705534145956.jpeg
This is where I had read that the mics bit rate should match the output channel
This is interesting and I've never seen this suggestion before.

I've only used it on Win10 and I just set it to 90 on the scale.

In the current version of REW, when you're setting up the measurements, you do a check levels before you start and adjust the mic level or the receiver volume as needed to hit your desired target (and headroom). It should let you know if you have sufficient headroom or not anyways. So I'm not sure if that precise mic level setting is really needed anymore or not.
I appreciate the feedback. Maybe some others will have some thoughts with this question as well as the other questions. Thank you for your suggestion

D

dolynick

Audioholic
Before I had asked this question, I had already picked my AVR (Denon X4700H) in the device list and had clicked on the configuration. Once I hit configuration is where I saw the list of options which showed 7.1 but also had Dolby Atmos as an option. This is where I was trying to determine which option was best. Once I clicked “next” is where it gave me the option to select which speakers I have
Ok. Sounds like you found it already.

This is where I had read that the mics bit rate should match the output channel
If you can match them, I would. If your mic only supports 16 bit, then so be it.

You're not going digital to digital though. Your mic is going to "re-digitize" anything it records into the 16 bit scale that it has. So if you're outputting higher quality than 16 bit, it's fine. As long as it's not lower than the mic it shouldn't matter. I would keep the output at 24bit.

R

Rylan

Audioholic
I have a separate issue that I’m stuck on tonight.
On the REW Preference Soundcard page, I am having an issue with my Output showing “Not Connected” I’ve spent a couple hours trying to figure it out with no success. How do I fix this?

I also added the UMM-6 mic and the input gives me 2 options, a 6 1 or a 6 2. Which do I choose?
1705565084966.png

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis