Revel Rhythm2 Subwoofer Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Revel is rounding out their Ultima2 loudspeaker series with a new flagship subwoofer, the Rhythm2. With an MSRP of $10,000 the Rhythm2 does not come cheap, but it isn't built cheaply either. The unit features a dual voice coil 18" aluminum cast-frame driver powered by two amplifiers with a total of 2,000 watts RMS (4,000 watts peak). The driver itself has a 4" diameter voice coil and approximately 1" Xmax. All of that fits into a relatively small 24.6" H x 27.9" W x 28.1" D package and weighs 177lbs. Revel's real claim to fame with the Rhythm2 is the built in EQ, which can be used to overcome 10 different room modes from 20-400Hz. Additionally, the EQ works not only on the sub, but on the pre-outs for your main speakers too, allowing for perfect bass whether it is coming from your sub or speakers. Still, even with the big driver, powerful amp, and EQ options, we question if the Rhythm2 can really compete with the other high dollar subwoofers on the market. Read on for a full analysis.

Discuss "Revel Rhythm2 Subwoofer Preview" here. Read the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
This is the most cogent and objectively balanced product preview I've ever read on Audioholics. Nicely done.

manwithnocape

manwithnocape

Audioholic
a nice read, very well written.
about the style - it is gorgeous, no two ways about it. and the performance is nothing to scoff at either. i want to hear it.

R

ratm

Audioholic
It's stunning thats for sure (all piano black would be SICK). Sorry for the noob question, but why 2 amps totaling 2k watts and not just 1? Size? Less Heat?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
It's stunning thats for sure (all piano black would be SICK). Sorry for the noob question, but why 2 amps totaling 2k watts and not just 1? Size? Less Heat?
The driver has dual voice coils. ! amp per coil, allows for better heat dissipation and power handling for the driver.

A

ACsGreens

Full Audioholic
I anxiously await ADTG's new owner review (only speculation, but c'mon)

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Gene, is it possible to find out how Harman determines Xmax with a DD Design? As I posted in the other thread, Bl would not be a useful way to determine xmax...

Thanks! :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I anxiously await ADTG's new owner review (only speculation, but c'mon)
R --------- I ----------- G ------------- H ------------- T. :D

What I want to know is, what amp did Revel use for this sub? Is it a Crown or an ATI amp ? :D

G

greatdavide

Audioholic Intern
Mic included

So I'm assuming a mic is included too? Or how does the software know what to correct? Do I have to bring in my measurements from another program and iteratively come to the best solution?

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
So I'm assuming a mic is included too? Or how does the software know what to correct? Do I have to bring in my measurements from another program and iteratively come to the best solution?
A quote from the preview on Stereophile.com:

Voecks recommends using the Apple iPad-based “Audio Tools” application from Studio Six for set-up, which has very high resolution, and includes a mike and preamp/power supply. One then sends the data from the Audio Tools software via WiFi to the owner's PC running the Rhythm 2's software. By selecting a target curve, and manually adjusting parameters for the subwoofer and main speaker, one can achieve optimal balance between sub and satellites, set the delay for the subwoofer, and equalize not just for one specific spot in the room but for a wider area using 10 virtual parametric equalization sliders in software. The proof of this concept was the hugely powerful bass output that was solid, dense, and exhibit tremendous room lock, vibrating everything that was not tied down. He played Yim Hok-Man's recording of "Poetry of the Chinese Drum" which features explosive drum beats. The organ from Rutter'sRequiem ("A Gaelic Blessing") was balanced and powerful.
So, no, the Revel sub does not come with a mic, and, yes, you apparently need another program to feed the Revel software.

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis