Revel Performa3 Loudspeakers Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
It's all fine and good to read about speakers that cost more than your car but it is nice to remind yourself that there are quality speaker offerings well within your budget. Harman's Revel brand is looking to do just that with their new Performa3 line. This new line of speakers has a large range of offerings at different price points for the Audioholic that is looking to step up in performance and looks from their initial, budget system. They really seem to be aiming for the consumer that is ready to get serious about their home theater and, we think, they've hit the nail on the head.

Discuss "Revel Performa3 Loudspeakers Preview" here. Read the article.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
It's all fine and good to read about speakers that cost more than your car but it is nice to remind yourself that there are quality speaker offerings well within your budget. Harman's Revel brand is looking to do just that with their new Performa3 line. This new line of speakers has a large range of offerings at different price points for the Audioholic that is looking to step up in performance and looks from their initial, budget system. They really seem to be aiming for the consumer that is ready to get serious about their home theater and, we think, they've hit the nail on the head.

in Other news ADTG publishes F/S thread for Revel 2 speakers :D

Edited :D , thx ADK

Last edited:
MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja

Cool speakers! You definitely need to get some on the bench for review for sure. Revel could be onto something special here. Do you know if Kevin Voecks is the lead engineer behind the design of the Performa3 line?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Nice.

Looking more and more like the Ultima2 line.:D

Can't wait for AH, Soundstage/NRC, & Stereophile to measure the new line.

R

ridikas

Banned
Taking a closer look, I see that the Revel Performa3 series uses the new SB Acoustics drivers! These should be fantastic sounding speakers :)

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Taking a closer look, I see that the Revel Performa3 series uses the new SB Acoustics drivers! These should be fantastic sounding speakers :)
I don't think the pics from CES are of the real drivers. Those were mock ups. Stay tuned for the official product pages on their site.

R

ridikas

Banned
They were definitely not mock-ups. The Performa3 series of speakers were hooked up at CES and there are reports from people, who have heard them, that they are terrific. The drivers look identical to the new aluminum woofers and mid-woofers from SB Acoustics. I think Revel has made an excellent choice. The Performa3 line should be extremely well performing speakers with a very hifi sound.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
They were definitely not mock-ups. The Performa3 series of speakers were hooked up at CES and there are reports from people, who have heard them, that they are terrific. The drivers look identical to the new aluminum woofers and mid-woofers from SB Acoustics. I think Revel has made an excellent choice. The Performa3 line should be extremely well performing speakers with a very hifi sound.
We were told by the Revel rep that only the demo pair had the actual drivers. The other speakers had dummy drivers for display only. Yes regardless they look like great speakers.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Nice looking speakers. If they perform as good as they look, they should do really well in the market place.

R

riker1384

Junior Audioholic
Word is that Harman moved engineering to China for a bunch of its brands. I wonder if that applies to Revel. Were these designed by the same crew as the other Revels?

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Word is that Harman moved engineering to China for a bunch of its brands. I wonder if that applies to Revel. Were these designed by the same crew as the other Revels?

I wondered about that too. According to the link above, Kevin Voecks is the man behind these. He was the lead design engineer on the previous Revel line like the vaunted Salon2.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't know about the performa line, but the ultima line is made in mexico.

I'm sure they were all designed & engineered in the usa.:)

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
These look really nice! Congrats to Kevin Voecks and Revel on their new line; Kevin is a very intelligent and very nice guy.

internetmin

internetmin

Audioholic
Made in USA

I happened to come across this page and wanted to correct something about the Ultimas. The Ultima line is NOT made in Mexico. The Revel Ultima line is made in the USA. It also says so directly on the speakers themselves.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I happened to come across this page and wanted to correct something about the Ultimas. The Ultima line is NOT made in Mexico. The Revel Ultima line is made in the USA. It also says so directly on the speakers themselves.
That hasn't been true for nearly two years. They are now "designed and engineered in the USA", but made in Mexico. Harman moved production out of Northridge, CA.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
To reiterate that point, HomeTheater Magazine in their review of the Ultima2 line specifically states that the Performa and Ultima2 lines are made in the USA and not just engineered in the USA. See here: Revel Ultima2 Studio2 Surround Speaker System | Home Theater
Man, I actually called Revel and talked to their tech guys on this. They are designed in California, and built in Mexico now. They used to be built in California, but no longer.

On my Salon2, it says "Engineered in USA", or something like that. It does not say "made in USA".

Heck, California is almost Mexico anyway. :eek: :D

The rest of their lines are made in China like every other speaker out there.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis