Request your help / recommendation for an AV receiver for a new Atmos system

D

Daniel 2017

Audiophyte
Good evening,

Currently have a 7.1 system and I am now in the process of upgrading the AV receiver and adding four
in-ceiling speakers. Have had a chance to spend some quality time listening to a high quality 11 channel system and the experience was awesome.

The 3 AV 11-channel receivers that we are considering are listed below:

Anthem MRX 1120
Denon ACR-X6300H
Integra DRX-R1

The ceiling speakers that I am considering are the Goldenear HTR-7000.

The current Audio/Video system is listed below:

Receiver - Pioneer SC- 05 - 130 Watts
APC H15 Power Conditioner
Oppo BDP 103D - Blue Ray player
Vandersteen 2C - Front main speakers
Goldenear XL - Center channel
SVS Ultra 13 - Subwoofer
Paradigm ADP-590 bipolar side surrounds
Paradigm Studio 20 -V5 rear surrounds
Speakers bi-wired w/#12 copper Audio Cable
Panasonic 65 inch Plasma ZT-65

The room size is 14 feet by 20 feet with an open end.

The SC-05 has plenty of power for our needs, but cannot be converted to an 11 channel system.
Logistics has prevented me from comparing these 3 receivers side by side and therefore I am hoping to get some feedback from anyone that is very familiar with the 3 receivers or owns one or more and can share some information about the performance of these.

We are currently not considering "The separate Pre amp/ Amp component route", but do like the idea of having everything in a single box.

For the Room / speaker correction setup the Anthem has the ARC, Denon has Audyssey XT32, and the Integra has AccuEQ. The Denon has the legacy setup for phono, and Bluetooth and a built in HD radio tuner.

We are not much interested in the multi-room speaker capability at this time. We do lean toward family movie watching but also enjoy the direct 2 channel music as well.

A previous model Onkyo had lots of power but was a bit quirky to use, and the current Pioneer SC-05 meets our needs for volume. Had a previous Yamaha but had a few issues, so the Onkyo & Yamaha AVR's are not on our short list.

What we do appreciate in a new AVR is: Good sound quality, user friendliness, high quality build, some what "future proof", decent value. (There may be a few other characteristics that I have over looked.)

For the ceiling speakers I have only heard the Goldenear HTR-7000 speakers. I have also heard about Sonance, Definitive Technology, and Revel, but I am honestly not up to speed on those speakers at this time.

If you can make an experienced recommendation on the 11 channel AVR and a very good ceiling speaker I would be very grateful for your help with this recommendation.

Thank you very much!

Dan
(first time poster.)

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
You can't go wrong with Anthem or Denon.

I would also suggest that you look at Triad's InCeiling Mini LCRs and Satellites. They are oriented on a 45 degree angle to aim the sound down to the listener. They have separated drivers, and they are contained in an enclosure to prevent sound from reaching rooms above. Triad will also custom paint the grills to any color you specify. They also sound fantastic -- very unusual for In-Ceiling speakers.

http://www.triadspeakers.com/products/home-cinema/ic-mini8-lcr/

http://www.triadspeakers.com/products/everywhere-audio/ic-bronze8-sat/

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I have the GE-HTR 7000 Speakers, The do an excellent job for ATMOS and the tweeter is also angled. In my opinion they are ideally suited for that role.

I am curious why you decided to go with the GE XL for your center channel, I usually try to match with my mains?

I used to have a paradigm system (Studio series 100, CC690 and the 590s) I really liked the 590s.

Of the three you are looking at, My first choice would be the Anthem MRX 1120 drives all 11 channels, ARC is excellent (Used to have a AVM50 w/ARC)

It would be close decision between that and the Denon 6300H though as this newer model also drives 11 channels, Audyssey also does an excellent job with room correction, and is a more feature driven Reciever

I also have had an Integra 80.3 Pre/Pro, which I also liked, but have not considered going back to Integra due dropping Audyssey and quality control issues history (don't know about newer units). I also have a little 30.5 that was driving my bedroom speakers, which has had 0 issues.

Good luck with your choices, I am sure you will have others with feedback.

D

Daniel 2017

Audiophyte
Good evening Cos, and thank you for the reply. Wanted to reply to your question about the center channel.

Yes I did previously have a Vandersteen Center Channel VCC-1 for many years, but it was the weak link of the system. With the dialog portion of a movie being so critical I looked into upgrading that item. I did consider the VCC-5 and also a Paridigm Center but was impressed with the Goldenear XL with the ribbon tweeter. So far the GE XL has been terrific in the center.

I am glad to hear that you really like the GE HTR-7000. Yes that angled ribbon tweeter can help tweak the sweet spot.

As far as the match with the mains I was considering (down the road) to go with the GE Triton One's or Two Plus as those have been exceptional during the demo.

I have heard a demo with the Pre amp/ pro setup but am hoping that one of the 3 AVR's listed will provide enough decibels as we don't generally run extremely loud. Plus the SVS sub has the pre out with its own 1000 watt amp.

Thank you very much for your recommendations!

Dan

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
I recently went from a Denon 4310 to a X4300h and am very happy. I went economical on ceiling speakers and got four Polk MC60. This past weekend I finished installing the ceiling speakers for a 5.1.4. Ran Audessey and watched Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them in Atmos.

I am very happy with my choice, but can't speak to the other receivers listed.

Good luck with your choice.

Thanks.

D

Daniel 2017

Audiophyte
Hello Bryce,

Thanks for the feedback, and it sounds like you are very happy with the system upgrade. The Denon 4300 and 6300 are very similar.

Just wondering if you worked with a local audio dealer or an online route. I am hearing good things about the Denon AVR. I am still in research mode on the ceiling speakers and will give Polk a look.

Thank you
Dan

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Have had a chance to spend some quality time listening to a high quality 11 channel system and the experience was awesome.
And which system did you listen to that was awesome?

I would focus on either Denon or Anthem.

I personally prefer Audyssey Dynamic EQ. But everyone is different.

D

Daniel 2017

Audiophyte
Good morning

The local dealer had a theater setup with a couple of racks of equipment, multiple amps, dual subs, very large projector, special lighting, etc. This system had the very big Golden ear Tritons, and an Integra pre amp setup. It was run through a single controller and is complex and expensive, but was a real treat to listen to the system in action.

With the special seating and AV equipment it was an awesome experience!

Thanks

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
I went to Best Buy (they had it in stock). The Polks I ordered from Amazon for $65 each.

If you are looking to save some cash ($1600 vs $2200) and can wait a bit, then accessories4less sometimes gets them in on refurb...they are an authorized Denon dealer. But it is a crap shoot if they have it in stock

D

Daniel 2017

Audiophyte
Hello Bryce,

Yes I thought about "accessories for less", but have not had any experience with that company.

I did pick up a SVS Ultra sub woofer with a "blemish" on the bottom, and it was extremely minor and the subwoofer sound has been exceptional.

Thanks for the feedback.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis