Request Set Up Help from a Newbie

R

Rey

Audiophyte
Hello Everybody!
I just joined and a newbie in audio equipment. I am requesting help to set up my audio equipment. Here's my system :

1- Crown XTi2002 power amp (1) - to drive in stereo mode a set of speakers (Wharfedale EVP X215)
2- Cerwin Vega CV2800 power amp (1) - to drive in bridge mode one custom sub
3- Wharfedale EVPX 215 Speakers (1 pair) - 700watts RMS/channel at 4ohms, Freq: 40Hz - 20kHz
4- Custom Sub - 1200 watts RMS at 8ohms, Freq: 35-1500 Hz
5- DBx Driverack PA+
6- DBx 231s Equalizer
7- Mixer

I have successfully wired all of above equipment but since I have no idea on the values I need to choose for cross over, compressor limiter, types of BW/LR to be used, etc., I am requesting some basic guidelines on how to set up properly my system. Here are some more information that I am requesting some clarifications and guidance :

1- I have no RTA mic and when I set up the driverack, I was only up to loading the new preset and not able to balance the sytem with pink noise, RTA mic, etc. How do I do this without RTA mic? FYI, both my tops and sub are not in the preset of driverack? Do I need to bother setting up using RTA mic and Pink Noise?

2- Since I have 231s equalizer, should I just leave "flat" the EQ's of Driverack and Crown amp?

3- I don't have any idea on BW or LR settings and I don't know what level of gains should I input in cross over feature setting of driverack, i.e., from 0db to what? Some people say leave the gain at 0dB. But increasing the gain means louder which I want and like specifically for outdoor use.

4- Also don't have any idea on how to set the compressor and limiter features of the driverack.

5- I was told to hook up only to High and Low from driverack. How can I use the mid? Should I buy an additional amp and pair of speakers to do this? If so, what will be the recommended speaker assuming I will just get another XTi2002? I mean the power and frequency range. Or, is there any work around to have this feature with my current equipment's?

6- How do I optimize the powers of my system without clipping or blowing any speakers or amps? I mean from input (mixer) to output which I believe should have relationship on how to use the compressor and limiter functions of driverack.

7- I wish to have different setting for Outdoor and Indoor use. For Outdoor, I will use my custom sub which I prefer to be at Bridge Mode and driven by Cerwin Vega amp. For Indoor, for now, I plan not to use any Sub but just the 2 Wharfedale speakers. So, only my Crown xTi2002 will be used along with my 2 Wharfedale speakers.

8- I also want to set up my microphone for Karaoke and manage it through Driverack to avoid feedbacks, achieve good effects, etc.

Sorry for these very basic questions to most of you here and please bear with me this time for my ignorance. Hope somebody can help me provide a detailed set up procedures designed for beginners.

Thanks for your help.
Rey

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Hello Everybody!

5- DBx Driverack PA+
7- Mixer

If I read your post correctly, you have one of these installed for a home audio system?
I'd love to know why, and what you can accomplish with this in a home audio setting.
Hello Everybody!
1- I have no RTA mic and when I set up the driverack, I was only up to loading the new preset and not able to balance the sytem with pink noise, RTA mic, etc. How do I do this without RTA mic? FYI, both my tops and sub are not in the preset of driverack? Do I need to bother setting up using RTA mic and Pink Noise?

Sorry for these very basic questions to most of you here and please bear with me this time for my ignorance. Hope somebody can help me provide a detailed set up procedures designed for beginners.

When I started on this forum, I ended up purchasing a measurement mic as one of my first action items. Its been a great acquisition. I don' t know what your budget or tolerance for buying stuff is, but I can vote for buying the tools necessary for proper measurement and setup.

Don't apologize for "very basic questions". I didn't see a "very basic question" in your entire list. Since you started your post withe DBx Driverack PA+, I was tapped out with the very first set of ideas.

I'll be interested to see how this turns out.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@Bucknekked can kinda see your responses but you should do it outside the quote box :) I'm wondering if he's a mobile dj or?

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
@Bucknekked can kinda see your responses but you should do it outside the quote box :) I'm wondering if he's a mobile dj or?
I think I screwed up the formatting. Couldn't figure out how to fix it. I also couldn't figure out what he was doing with half the gear. That's all on me.

R

Rey

Audiophyte
Hi,
Thanks for your comments. I use the DBX drive rack to manage my system, i.e., cross-over and hopefully as compressor and limiter once I get some recommended basic settings on how to do it.

Thanks,
Rey

R

Rey

Audiophyte
If an RTA mic is really necessary, I can buy one. If I have an RTA, do I need any other equipment aside from my DBX drive rack to tune my set up? Also, I have an Onkyo mic that is used to tune room acoustics for an Onkyo AV Receiver, I wonder if I can use this same mic for my DBX?

Thanks,
Rey

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
If you don't know how to use all that equipment then in Heaven's name what did you buy it for?

Before you buy equipment you have a plan of what you want to do and make an executable plane and design. You have everything backwards.

You are on your own with this. You bought it, you figure it out. None of us have any idea where you are coming from. For us it is the same as it is to you: - just a bunch of equipment.

We have had some real weird ones lately and this is towards the top of the list. The worst of it is we have lost a lot of good long time members of late because of nonsense posts like this.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you can't or will not help, just zip AH!
Mostly home gear around here. Maybe if you sweet talk TLSGuy....

More information about use and what you do know to do would probably help.

I'm not very familiar with your type of setup but:

1. If you have a phone you could download an app that may help you set leveles well enough. A measurement mic isn't all that expensive. Popular ones are miniDSP's Umik-1 or the Daytom UMM-6 (usb mics) used with REW software.

2. I would think applying eq with one device would be sufficient.

3. Can't even think of what BW refers to. If you want a good article on gain structure try Wayne Pflughaupt's thread over on Home Theater Shack.

4. Me either, RTFM doesn't help?

5. No idea.

6. Don't your amps have clipping indicators?

7. No idea, figure out what needs changing for the moves and accommodate?

8. No idea, Karaoke is not allowed anywhere near me. :)

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
We have had some real weird ones lately and this is towards the top of the list. The worst of it is we have lost a lot of good long time members of late because of nonsense posts like this.
LOL. . .don't blame us because your charming ways is not enough glue to hold your community together. :D

H

hosko

Audiophyte
Try posting over in prosoundweb.com the forums here are mostly home audio. Setting up a PA system with active crossovers is totally different to what most here deal with.

I haven't used DriveRack before but you need the mic for it to auto eq which I think will give you the best results. It should set a high and low pass filter so the mids and highs will go to the main cabinets and the low to the subs. You shouldn't need to also eq externally because DriveRack will handle that. You can eq individual channels on the mixer.

Edit - watch the videos @ http://dbxpro.com/en/products/driverack-pa2 I just watched it and would be very confident in setting it up. Nice bit of kit

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis