replacing yammi rx-v870 with HK AVR110

audioman00

Audioholic
You guys think I'll be sorry? I noticed the HK rates itself at 50wpc, the yammi is a very powerful sounding 80wpc. I hope i'm not gonna be out in high watter without a padel. Hk seems to rate their stuff really conservatively though. Any suggestions or reassurances are needed, good or bad. Thanks! -audioman00.

05impalaSS

Enthusiast
Harmon kardon make very nice products. I would rate their quality the same with yamaha, denon , and onkyo. Yes I am sure the power is highly underrated, as with my yamaha RX-V2400 which was a replacement for my old Sony reciever and sounded 100X better. So yes I the HK will do you justice.....its just like buying an Eclipse or Diamond Audio amp for your car , the Eclipse or DA with say 500X2 ch will sound 10X louder with a jensen or audiovox amp with the same power.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I would say that the yamahas were rated pretty conservitive in your model year. My 995 put out 130per into 6ohm(200wpc into 4ohm) on my vu meter(dynamic) and its rated 100wpc.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the replies. I have since moved on to Rotel gear. rated @ 70 wpc... lmao, sounds like 200! thx
What? You couldn't wait the 4 years for a response? :D Had to rush out and buy Rotel, huh? :)

audioman00

Audioholic
Yea, the Adcom was a really nice sounding pre, but it had no remote or phono input. I picked up the rc-1070 to match the rb-1050 for $310 used locally. The dealer that sells mac also sells rotel and marantz.. really nice guy too!:)
I noticed the Rotel pre is a little more precise if you will, but less coloration of the signal is it's signature in my system. I have noticed a few guitar riffs that seem to carry nicely along with the drums now, instead of just kinda 'blending' or even disappearing in the midst of all the other instruments playing. Kinda cool this rotel gear, I've really been feeling like I made a good decision to go 2ch and dedicate my system to music. I guess I'll have to build me a 5.1 system in the living room... sounds like a fun project. thx Adam

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
What? You couldn't wait the 4 years for a response? :D Had to rush out and buy Rotel, huh? :)
Holy cow! I didn't even notice the original post was from four years ago. Sure explains the model numbers. :) Good eyes, Alex. Good eyes.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Yea, the Adcom was a really nice sounding pre, but it had no remote or phono input. I picked up the rc-1070 to match the rb-1050 for $310 used locally. The dealer that sells mac also sells rotel and marantz.. really nice guy too!:)
I noticed the Rotel pre is a little more precise if you will, but less coloration of the signal is it's signature in my system. I have noticed a few guitar riffs that seem to carry nicely along with the drums now, instead of just kinda 'blending' or even disappearing in the midst of all the other instruments playing. Kinda cool this rotel gear, I've really been feeling like I made a good decision to go 2ch and dedicate my system to music. I guess I'll have to build me a 5.1 system in the living room... sounds like a fun project. thx Adam
I first bought a 7.1 a few years ago and have since gone to 5.1 after a move. DVD-A and SACD were my favorites up until I got my hands on an EQ recently. Now my favorite thing to listen to is EQ'ed stereo that my receiver crosses over at 80 Hz for a really great sounding 2.1 experience. You and I are moving in opposite directions.

Good to hear from ya,
Alex

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Those old ADC eq's were the best next to audiocontrol. I love the display's on those eq's I kinda miss mine... lol
You're familiar with them? That's fantastic! I had noticed some weird readings with the RTA set to the mic. A little DeoxIT seemed to take care of the strange behaviors. I would still love to find a place that has mic replacements and/or calibration capabilities. Do you know of any place like that? I wanna start an ADC fan club! :rolleyes:

audioman00

Audioholic
Don't know much about the set-up on those ADC's but helluva good job on the deoxit/cleaner job. I used to have an old AudioControl 101 model. It had the RTA, spectrum and all kinds of options like pink noise generator. Nice to see someone using an eq still! I was always going to buy one of the ADC's because they had the BEST spectrum analyzer. peace!

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I was always going to buy one of the ADC's because they had the BEST spectrum analyzer. peace!
I think buying one today would be a mistake. I saw my model go for $108 on eBay. With shipping that comes up to at least $125. $125 is 1/3 of the way to a Behringer 2496 which is the way to go in the EQ department. ;)

My ADC has +/- 2 dB adjustments over (mostly) full octave ranges. That's like fine tuning your system with a rock and a broken beer bottle. :eek:

I wouldn't want anybody to get the wrong idea about these old EQ's. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis