Replacing old stereo receiver in NYC apt

S

Splash

Audiophyte
Surround sound is not a priority and is actually a "too many wires" problem in the small living room. And I can't play the system too loud, neighbors and all. I will likely only be using two basic speakers and use mostly for music. I'd like to attach ipod either directly or via MacBook Pro/Airport Express. I will attach TV, 40" LCD with HDMI connections. I've read about a function that even using stere can emulate surround or dolby. I was looking at Denon AVRs like the AVR 891, which I can get for clearance price of $350 locally. But I wonder if that is not overkill. All suggestions welcome.

S

Splash

Audiophyte
I recommend this:
Without looking at specs and features, do you mean for a stereo system this will produce better sound than Denon AVR 891? I thought going from 7.1 to 2.1 I could get better value at a lower price point? If not, I'll live with it. When I got my Denon DRA 635R receiver in mid 90's, did with help from audiophile pros!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'd stick with a stereo receiver or an integrated amp. An integrated amp will typically be a little better quality (IMO) than a stereo receiver, but also lacks any processing of any kind. To hook up the TV, since it is a stereo setup, you will still need to do the stereo analog thing, as I can't say that I've seen stereo models with HDMI (haven't looked either, so they could be out there).

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Without looking at specs and features, do you mean for a stereo system this will produce better sound than Denon AVR 891? I thought going from 7.1 to 2.1 I could get better value at a lower price point? If not, I'll live with it. When I got my Denon DRA 635R receiver in mid 90's, did with help from audiophile pros!
A $200 stereo receiver will outperform a $200 surround receiver, no doubt about it.

But the marantz is an ~$1100 surround receiver that delives a whopping 210w into a 4 ohm load.

One thing to note is that it has a power supply designed to power seven channels, but it only needs to drive two then you have plenty of extra current ;P

Additionally, since it's a surround receiver rather than a traditional stereo receiver, it has things like processing that will allow you to set up your speaker delays and levels automatically, and integrate a subwoofer into the system should you ever so choose.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
A $200 stereo receiver will outperform a $200 surround receiver, no doubt about it.

But the marantz is an ~$1100 surround receiver that delives a whopping 210w into a 4 ohm load.
I've owned many Marantz receivers and all of them are only rated for 6 Ohm nominal operation, so the 4 ohm rating is basically irrelevant. My 8300, which is 15lbs heavier than that receiver, struggles with 4 Ohm loads in a large room.

One thing to note is that it has a power supply designed to power seven channels, but it only needs to drive two then you have plenty of extra current ;P
Sorry, but that isn't a benefit ;) Something designed to handle only 2 channels will usually do a better job at it since everything is dedicated to just those two. The rated power for most receivers, even Marantz, is generally the 2ch rating. So if it is 200w, then that is what you will get in stereo and it will drop when multiple channels are driven. For a stereo only setup, there is no reason to go with a multichannel receiver. If the intent is to eventually move to a 5.1 or greater setup, then this it would be the way to go.

Additionally, since it's a surround receiver rather than a traditional stereo receiver, it has things like processing that will allow you to set up your speaker delays and levels automatically, and integrate a subwoofer into the system should you ever so choose.
In a stereo setup you have no delays since there are no other speakers to compensate for.

All of the stereo receivers I've seen in recent years have a sub pre-out as well, just no x-over because there is no internal processing; so you need a sub with its own x-over which the overwhelming majority of subs have.

The Outlaw RR2150 has a sub pre-out with variable x-over if internal x-over is desired.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
The Outlaw RR2150 has a sub pre-out with variable x-over if internal x-over is desired.
RR2150 is very curious device - it does have PC based input - sort of makes itself external dac all in one,
but on the other hand does not have any other digital inputs... very bizarre...

DD66000

DD66000

Senior Audioholic
Being you don't want surround sound, I'd suggest the mentioned Outlaw RR2150, HK 3490 receiver, HK 990 integrated amp. The 990 is $2k, though, a bit expensive for stereo.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Being you don't want surround sound, I'd suggest the mentioned Outlaw RR2150, HK 3490 receiver, HK 990 integrated amp. The 990 is $2k, though, a bit expensive for stereo.
I'd go with the HK3490, if it were me.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
RR2150 is very curious device - it does have PC based input - sort of makes itself external dac all in one,
but on the other hand does not have any other digital inputs... very bizarre...
What I like about it is that it did not scrimp on the power supply or amplifier circuits. This is a great unit IHO.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
All of the stereo receivers I've seen in recent years have a sub pre-out as well, just no x-over ...
Even the H/K 3490? I think I just told someone it did have a xo. :eek:

Maybe GN can look this up while at work. :D

EDIT:

Wow, I just printed a retraction. :rolleyes:

I think Harman Kardon has a 2 channel rec'r that puts out like 120 watts and has a sub out/bass management.
From the review:

It also provisions for dual subwoofer output connections but with no bass management provisions, which is typical of two-channel receivers.

So ... now I'm happier than ever about my Yammy 2600 for 2 channel. ;)

Last edited:
C

cornelius

Full Audioholic
I'm not sure of your overall budget, or what speakers you have, but I'd definitely suggest a nice simple integrated amp or stereo receiver and a pair of bookshelf speakers. If neighbors are a factor, then a sub is probably not going to happen. You don't need an unnecessarily busy/complicated A/V receiver with bass management, and other options that you're paying for, but won't use...

With a two channel integrated, you can directly take a mini to stereo cable from the Airport or your ipod, and the analog stereo out from your cable box and DVD player... A quality amp without all of the extra processing and a simple signal path will sound great.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
What speakers will you be using? If they are low impedance and difficult to drive, then that will matter. If not, then given that it is going to be 2.0, and given that the volume is not going to be very high, this would likely be a good choice:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTX8255/Onkyo-TX-8255-50-watts-2-channel-Stereo-Receiver/1.html

I would not spend a fortune on features or power I was not going to use. It would be better to spend the extra money on better speakers than to waste it on power or features that will go unused.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis