Replacing headphones advice

akredz

akredz

Audiophyte
Due to a complete loss house fire a few months ago, I'm in the market for, well, just about everything.

I had an pair of 8 year old Shure earbuds that were about $300 at the time, a pair of Beats by Dre Powerbeats (earbuds) and a pair of Sennheiser headphones.

I listen to a fairly wide variety of music, usually from a Creative Zen MP3 player or my now gone, B&O Beosound system.

I haven't really paid that much attention to hifi in the last few years, so I'm hoping to get some advice and recommendations.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
So are you looking for earbuds and headphones? Do your headphones need to be portable or just for home usage and do you plan to use them with amp or without? What is your budget for both?

akredz

akredz

Audiophyte
Yes, I'm looking for both earbuds and 'phones.
The headphones will just be for use in the house with whatever new system I get, which is likely to be for both music and movies.
Budget is around $600 to $700 for both

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

For home use I can highly recommend Sennheiser HD600, really comfortable and neutral sounding headphones. Another great option would be Beyerdynamic DT990. Of course there are many other options as well, but in your price range these would be my pick. For in ears I don't have much experience but my colleague have really enjoyed hes Sennheiser IE80.

jennicalexica

jennicalexica

Enthusiast
I would one up it and go for the sennheiser HD650's - a little bit more expensive but well worth it IMO.

akredz

akredz

Audiophyte
Having done a bit more reading, I'm probably one of those who don't necessarily want neutral.
From the descriptions I've seen, I'm probably happier with a slightly warm sound and am definitely partial to a bit of bass.
I'm thinking of trying to demo a pair of V Moda M100.

Thanks for all the info provided by everyone.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Having done a bit more reading, I'm probably one of those who don't necessarily want neutral.
From the descriptions I've seen, I'm probably happier with a slightly warm sound and am definitely partial to a bit of bass.
I'm thinking of trying to demo a pair of V Moda M100.

Thanks for all the info provided by everyone.
If you want warm sound those AKG K7XX could fit you pretty well.

akredz

akredz

Audiophyte
I did wonder about them. Just curious how much sound will leak out due to them being open?

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

I did wonder about them. Just curious how much sound will leak out due to them being open?
Well open headphones will leak sound, how much, depends on volume level you listen at. But if you listen loudly person in same room can hear what listen to..

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis